Drexel MSP/IMS/MBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so would someone applying to be a postbacc apply to the IMS? Does successful completion of the MSP guarantee admission to the IMS. I went to their website, and they didn't really distinguish between MSP IMS and MBS, can someone please explain

Members don't see this ad.

IMS is basically a 1 year program for people who basically don't need to take the MCAT again (27 or above). MSP is a 2 year program for people with a 17-25 on the MCAT. The first year you take science classes and an MCAT prep class. The second year is the MBS year which is the same as the IMS year where you take classes with the DrexelMed students. You graduate from the IMS program with a certificate, and you graduate from the MSP/MBS with a Master's.

IMS is basically a 1 year program for people who basically don't need to take the MCAT again (27 or above). MSP is a 2 year program for people with a 17-25 on the MCAT. The first year you take science classes and an MCAT prep class. The second year is the MBS year which is the same as the IMS year where you take classes with the DrexelMed students. You graduate from the IMS program with a certificate, and you graduate from the MSP/MBS with a Master's.

So it goes like this: MSP(you have low MCAT) and its 1 year, then MBS (1yr with medical students) then IMS (1Yr)
So how would you go about applying to these, would you apply to one or all several if your in the gray area?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it goes like this: MSP(you have low MCAT) and its 1 year, then MBS (1yr with medical students) then IMS (1Yr)
So how would you go about applying to these, would you apply to one or all several if your in the gray area?

It's on one application...you check the boxes for both MSP/IMS. Also, if they think you are applying for the wrong program, they will transfer your app to the right admissions.

If you tell us your stats we can probably direct you towards the program that you should apply for. But like chuckshaw said though they will probably assign you to the best program for you based on your particular situation. If you have less than 27 on the mcat then you can't apply for the IMS program and if you have over 27 then you can't apply for the msp program.

If you tell us your stats we can probably direct you towards the program that you should apply for. But like chuckshaw said though they will probably assign you to the best program for you based on your particular situation. If you have less than 27 on the mcat then you can't apply for the IMS program and if you have over 27 then you can't apply for the msp program.

Hey thanks for telling me :love:, I don't want to turn this into the infamous "what are my chances thread" but roughly I have one year left in my undergrad institution, I have roughly a 3.0-3.2 GPA both science and cumulative(bio major). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have started studying for it (or I bought the books :p ) I know I have a low GPA, I started out with a 3.6 GPA, I got depressed in the middle and now I'm trying to recover from it. I'm 20 years old and I feel really behind-thanks for the support guys

Hey thanks for telling me :love:, I don't want to turn this into the infamous "what are my chances thread" but roughly I have one year left in my undergrad institution, I have roughly a 3.0-3.2 GPA both science and cumulative(bio major). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have started studying for it (or I bought the books :p ) I know I have a low GPA, I started out with a 3.6 GPA, I got depressed in the middle and now I'm trying to recover from it. I'm 20 years old and I feel really behind-thanks for the support guys

Just keeping working on trying to get the highest possible gpa you can get and then make sure you are ready to take the mcat before taking it unlike me.:( Try and aim for at least a 30+ on the mcat. Then just apply for IMS program and some of the other smp programs.

The MSP program also accepts GRE scores. If you are going to do MSP anyway, I would suggest not taking the MCAT at all and just taking the GRE. That way, you can have a year's worth of prep courses before you take the MCAT for the first time. Your GPA is fine for that program. You are definitely not far behind if you are only 20!

The MSP program also accepts GRE scores. If you are going to do MSP anyway, I would suggest not taking the MCAT at all and just taking the GRE. That way, you can have a year's worth of prep courses before you take the MCAT for the first time. Your GPA is fine for that program. You are definitely not far behind if you are only 20!

hey, thanks for all the love guys, it feels like I'm a republican candidate at fox news :p , anyways, I am thinking that if I take the MCAT and do moderately well I have a chance at DO, also does anyone know how many people drexel accepts in the MSP program and IMS programs, how competitive are they. It seems like in the near future that US Medical Schools are looking to increase enrollment because of the "shortage" of doctors, any opinions?

No, that's not right. The steps are either MSP then IMS (renamed MBS since it ends in a masters, not a certificate) or IMS then MMS. Either way, it's 2 years max.

I would call Drexel and ask which one is right for you. Generally you aren't qualified for both, you're qualified for one or the other.