Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMSPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied to Drexel's MSP program? I have seen threads for their IMP program and not MSP. So I wanted to start one for us.....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I have applied to the MSP and got in, I am very excited, have you gotten any word back from them?

i interviewed on the phone about 2 weeks ago, hopefully will hear back soon. would love to get into this program!

any idea how long after an interview it takes for them to get back to you with a decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the interview and after 2 weeks I got an acceptance by email...but i prob wont be attending

gotcha, yeah just got accepted via email today! I'm pretty excited about the options I have, and Drexel is a great school.

Hey all,

Glad to see a thread on this program. I am currently starting to apply to the MSP program.

I was wondering, those who have submitted your applications, my professor was asking me what sorts of things he should write in my letter of rec. He said since this is a different kind of program rather than a general letter, are they certain things that he should mention about me?

Any tips on the LOR would be greatly appreciated :)

I am awaiting to here back. I called to day and they are still waiting on my last letter of recommendation. I mailed it last week so hopefully they will be calling me soon.....

Did your professors write anything specific in your LORs....since this program isn't a general rec or is it?

I got an interview late March and an acceptance email 6 days later :) I've already sent in my deposit and hopefully living in Stiles. I heard that area is a little rough, so I wanted to live somewhere close to New College Building.

Anyone else joining me in the fall??

For those of you that were accepted, did you write a general personal statement or did you adapt it to the programs missions etc. ?

For those of you that were accepted, did you write a general personal statement or did you adapt it to the programs missions etc. ?

My personal statement was general and I didn't try to cater it to their mission statement or anything. I tried to be as honest as possible answering all the short answer questions. I think if you're truly genuine in your writing, admissions counselors will pick up on it. I've worked as an assistant at my university's admissions office for 4 years, and the admissions counselors for the graduate programs say that they are really responsive to genuine writing rather than generic "write-what-counselors-want-to-hear" writing.

Do you think I'm too late to submit my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my phone interview for MSP a few days ago, and I hope I get my acceptance notification soon.

I just mailed my application in today!
Looking forward to hearing back from them. How long do you all think that might take, given, they have all my paperwork etc.?

I got accepted and will be attending the MSP as well.

I took my AMCAS PS and modified it to fit the schools interests. It's always important to show why you want to go to the school to which you are applying.

Got news today that I made it into MSP. Not sure I want to enroll, but I am considering it. Has anyone already attended this program and/or can anyone layout the pros and cons associated with participation? Thank you so very very much :)

Hi Hart,

I called Drexel's MSP department yesterday and my application is officially deemed completed as of that call after I cleared up some confusion regarding my transcripts. May I ask you a few questions? I am really concerned about getting an interview. How far along were you offered an interview after your application was completed? and...haha...how WAS your interview like? I'm so scared about phone interviews because I feel they'd get to know me better in person. Besides questions like, "Why do you want to be a doctor" or "Why MSP?", are there any other questions you can remember that would help me in preparing for the interview? Anything in particular that caught you off guard? How long was the interview? Thanks a bunch!

-DK

P.S. If it means anything or helps, I think you should take the opportunity and go to Philly. We can maybe speak more if you like!

I just got my acceptance to MSP, and definitely will be attending in the fall. If any of you are looking for roommates, feel free to pm me.

For those of you who are doing interviews here are some tips:

The interview will be strictly asking and answering questions, so be concise in your answers. There were not any tricky questions, the interview is really straight forward, and these are some of the questions that I remember. Why do you think this program is good for your future plans? Why do you want to become a doctor? What do your friends think of you? Why should we accept you? What's your experience in the health care field? What kind of doctor do you want to become and why? What are some of the pressing issues on health care today, and how can we overcome them?

So... is there anybody who is going to be attending the MSP in Fall that actually lives in Philly now? Cause I'm from Orlando, never even been above Tennessee, and I need to figure out where to live.

Hi Hart,

I called Drexel's MSP department yesterday and my application is officially deemed completed as of that call after I cleared up some confusion regarding my transcripts. May I ask you a few questions? I am really concerned about getting an interview. How far along were you offered an interview after your application was completed? and...haha...how WAS your interview like? I'm so scared about phone interviews because I feel they'd get to know me better in person. Besides questions like, "Why do you want to be a doctor" or "Why MSP?", are there any other questions you can remember that would help me in preparing for the interview? Anything in particular that caught you off guard? How long was the interview? Thanks a bunch!

-DK

P.S. If it means anything or helps, I think you should take the opportunity and go to Philly. We can maybe speak more if you like!

There hasn't been much action on this site but in case others are checking here and not posting, I thought I would list the MSP interview questions I encountered:

1. What other programs did you apply to?
2. Have you visited the east coast before?
3. Why do you want to go into medicine?
4. Describe your volunteer experiences.
5. Describe your extracurricular activities.
6. How would your peers describe you?
7. What makes you stand out as an applicant?
8. What do you find to be the biggest problem facing health care today?
9. Do you have any questions for me? (I asked about research opportunities and resources available for applying to medical school)

Sarah was my interviewer and she said that it would take 30 minutes...mine took did not take more than 15 (I was brief I suppose). That is all I remember, hope it helps. Good luck to all!

p.s. I got in, but rejected their offer so there's one more space out there ;)

Big thanks to maratonomak and to hart for helping out with the interview questions!! I'll be attending MSP this fall! So I know maratonomak is looking for a roommate. Are there any others looking as well? I'm moving from California and definitely would like to hook up with a couple or few people soon to get our "wolf pack" started! haha. So...if there is anyone interested as far as looking for potential roommates - let me know through a PM or request of email!

i got my rejection from the DPMS program on Monday and was told to submit a letter for them to review my app for MSP which went in the mail yesterday morning. :xf: So now I guess I wait. Oh and doctorknockers I'm from Cali too so with any luck we'll be running into each other this fall.

Hey can anyone tell me what the typical turn around time on a decision might be?

They called me back the day after my interview.

Average wait time from interview to acceptance call is about 1 week. Sometimes 2. For me (IMS) it was 3 because of how closely my interview aligned with holiday weekend/DPMS deadline. Committee meets on Tuesdays and calls come in right after that.

Big thanks to maratonomak and to hart for helping out with the interview questions!! I'll be attending MSP this fall! So I know maratonomak is looking for a roommate. Are there any others looking as well? I'm moving from California and definitely would like to hook up with a couple or few people soon to get our "wolf pack" started! haha. So...if there is anyone interested as far as looking for potential roommates - let me know through a PM or request of email!

I love your enthusiasm! It's quite contagious ; ) Although, I declined. If you are in need of a gpa boost this program is for you (Or so the med advisors I have spoken with say). Others have asked why I declined the offer, so here I go:
1. I have been advised by medical committee members to (simply put) retake the MCAT (score = 24).
2. My overall gpa is around 3.83 and sgpa is 3.80.
3. I am not done doing research; I LOVE the rush I get when things work out in the lab! I asked during the interview if they encourage MSP students to partake in research and Sarah said (more or less) that research is not the focus of this program.
They want you to focus on your grades, but I already have the grades. Ultimately, that is why I passed on this opportunity. If others are in the same boat, I suggest you not spend $17,000 and pay $2,000 for an MCAT course instead. That is what I am going to do. Plus, I'm looking for research jobs!
PM me if you want any additional advice. Keep in mind though, I am just one person and by no means claim to be an expert on life. I suppose I am just a concerned citizen ; ) looking to lend support to others as we continue on this strange and wonderful journey :)

Last edited:
Got the little card in the mail today that says as of the 6/14 my app. is officially complete. So now I wait and pray for an interview.

Got the little card in the mail today that says as of the 6/14 my app. is officially complete. So now I wait and pray for an interview.

Keep the faith bro. I heard that the class is almost half way filled so there's many spots left!

Keep the faith bro. I heard that the class is almost half way filled so there's many spots left!

How did you hear that?? I heard administration accepts bulk of students in the summer.

PS: to the matriculates of MSP 10-11, have you guys figured out housing yet?

PSS: I'm from California tooooo!!

Got rejected by DPMS:confused:.

Last edited:
How did you hear that?? I heard administration accepts bulk of students in the summer.

PS: to the matriculates of MSP 10-11, have you guys figured out housing yet?

PSS: I'm from California tooooo!!

I asked during my interview and my friend asked 3 weeks after I got accepted and got the same answer. And you are right, that they accept a bulk of students in the summer - they told me that they get a HUGE rush of applicants during June and July versus a smaller and less frequent rate of applicants from the beginning of the application period until May.

PS I haven't committed to an apartment/loft lease yet but am looking - found some really sweet pads...LOTS!

PSS I'm going to miss California...and In N' Out! hahhhh

PSSS Are you looking for a roomie? Let me know if you're down I'm still looking for one and mmaaayybe another - depends. Otherwise I'm going to apply to Stiles if I can't find one soon.

PSSSS Hope we can all meet each other when we get to Philly!!!

I will go first 3.3 science 3.5 accum. Volunteer work etc.:oops:
From California.

Last edited:
I asked during my interview and my friend asked 3 weeks after I got accepted and got the same answer. And you are right, that they accept a bulk of students in the summer - they told me that they get a HUGE rush of applicants during June and July versus a smaller and less frequent rate of applicants from the beginning of the application period until May.

PS I haven't committed to an apartment/loft lease yet but am looking - found some really sweet pads...LOTS!

doctorknockers - what apartments/lofts are you looking at? could you send me websites?

doctorknockers - what apartments/lofts are you looking at? could you send me websites?

Hey futuredoc. I've just been looking under craigslist the past 2 weeks. There's always new listings popping up.

Hey Guys
I was accepted into the MSP Program today and have a couple questions.
1. Can any alums share their experience, thoughts, feelings on this program?
2. My interviewer said about 70% of the original matriculants gain acceptance into med school after the first year of the MSP, and the original applicants about 90% get in after the second, upon completion of the Masters. Is this accurate?
3. Does anyone need a roomate? You can find me on facebook Federico Mejia, graduated from UW-Madison.

Congratulations dude! Yeah, I'm still looking for a roommate. You down to find a place?

Hey.

I cant promise anything yet, because I have not made an official decision, waiting to hear back from Loyola, then doing some research and picking the one that fits best for me. But ya if I chose Philly Id room with you, Ill let you know soon, I will begin to badger Loyola to see where I stand

I interview on Friday :thumbup:. I hope to see you all this Fall, especially my fellow citizens from the Cali Republic :cool:

I interviewed today! *fingers crossed* btw, was anyone else asked if they were bilingual?

I interviewed today! *fingers crossed* btw, was anyone else asked if they were bilingual?

Did you put it on your application? I know I put that I spoke French fluently, my interviewer asked me to say some stuff.

I just got a call saying that the committee feels like I'd be a better fit for their IHS program. Read about it and not really sure how I feel about it. I was looking for a program to prep me for the MCAT and IHS just isn't it. I told them to go ahead and submit my application but I'm not very keen about it.

Did you put it on your application? I know I put that I spoke French fluently, my interviewer asked me to say some stuff.

I didn't put it on the application; which is why I asked if this was a common question during the interview. haha

AAYYEE Cali Republic!!

I did not get this question. Haha. What did you say?

haha I'm sorry! I was excited about the interview I had had that day. My question was: Was anyone else asked if they were bilingual during their interview.

haha I'm sorry! I was excited about the interview I had had that day. My question was: Was anyone else asked if they were bilingual during their interview.

Dude, I meant I wasn't asked this question during my interview. haha. And, what did you say to them? I mean, how the hell do you answer a question like that? "Ummm...nooo, I am not bilingual?" :wtf: hahaha Good thing it was a phone interview...you could've rolled your eyes heh-heh-heh

Dude, I meant I wasn't asked this question during my interview. haha. And, what did you say to them? I mean, how the hell do you answer a question like that? "Ummm...nooo, I am not bilingual?" :wtf: hahaha Good thing it was a phone interview...you could've rolled your eyes heh-heh-heh

OHHH! sorry for the misunderstanding.

I said no. It wasn't a big deal - I was just wondering if that question was common or not. Obviously, it wasn't a commonly asked question so I'm curious as to why I was asked that particular question.