DREXEL OR VIRGINIA TECH CARILION (VTC). PLEASE HELP ME PICK A SCHOOL!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drexel or Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC)

• Total voters
D

deleted1135977

Hello,

i've been accepted to Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC) and Drexel (DUCOM), and im really torn on which school to attend

---> obviously i've heard a lot of bad things and generalized negative stigma surrounding Drexel, but continuously see solid match lists from Drexel despite all the hate. people tend to bring up the closing of the main hospital as a major con, but that was back in 2019 and im inclined to believe the school has worked out the kinks for clinical rotations by now. please correct me if im wrong.

the only thing i really care about is being able to match well and have a good learning experience and being prepared to be a good physician. i just want to go to whichever school will better prepare me with the most streamlined process & effort.

please assume things such as cost, support systems nearby, and location do not matter for the purpose of this discussion. just, which school is better. please provide any insight on which is objectively a better medical school to attend in general. THANK YOU

there are obvious differences between these schools. i wont be listing as pros and cons because some of them can be seen in both ways.

- Drexel class is ~300 kids, whereas VTC is 40-45, smaller class-size means potentially better chances of research and better letters of rec from professors

- VTC is known for their research, and even 'forces' all students to have a personal research project.

- Drexel is more established (older school, 1850s) and is known throughout the country, whereas VTC is a fairly new school (2010) which may cause program directors or residency directors to be cautious?

- Drexel does not have its own hospital, whereas VTC does.

- Drexel students have to use a lottery system to rotate around the greater Philadelphia area in competition with the 300 other students, and occasionally even students from other schools (Penn, Jefferson, Temple) if those hospitals are affiliated with those schools. Getting letters & research opportunities / shadowing, and generally establishing relationships with physicians and professors will be much harder at Drexel, whereas in VTC you are a small class where the professors and physicians know every students name because theres only 40 of you. seems like more resources to go around for everyone to share at VTC.

- yes philadelphia is a great area for things like research and community experiences, but i will very much be "on my own" for pursuing such things as it seems like the administration is not very involved with the student life based on things i've read

- VTC has mandatory PBLs to attend every week

- Drexel has a great match list pretty consistently, VTC's is kinda hard to interpret and they seem to hide some of the details??

- i think both schools are P/F

disclaimer: i know some of the things i wrote also tend to kick Drexel down. i am strictly speaking from the things i have read online and heard from others. i have NOT made a decision yet and am still very willing to give Drexel the benefit of the doubt because i believe it still offers a good program. I just want to know, would it be better to attend Virginia Tech?

I've also read things like "if you have an acceptance to Drexel and an acceptance to a different MD school, go to the other school", and that the students at Drexel are only there because it was their only acceptance, etc.

RANT OVER, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE FROM THE THINGS YOU KNOW! PLEASE CORRECT ME ON ANYTHING I'VE SAID THAT MAY BE INCORRECT. THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

VT easily. The hospital situation at Drexel is kind of a mess.

Reactions: 1 user