Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm 95% sure I will be attending Drexel in the fall. Now it's time to get excited!!! :clap: :clap:

Where are my fellow classmates?!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to be.. but it seems like they don't want me quite enough and I'm stuck on the waitlist... =(

I am hoping to attend Drexel in the fall...I have my interview on April 23rd. I would love to be in Philly...so hopefully I will see ya in the fall :) mimi1 where in MD are you from? Is there any other school that you might go to instead of Drexel if you got in?

Members don't see this ad :)
i got accepted to Drexel- however i am still waiting on their financial aid package to see if i can really go there. has anyone recieved one?

I liked Drexel too. They sent my first acceptance letter back in October. But I'll have to let it go... :)

Hi, I will be at Drexel in the fall for class of 2008, helloo to all my future classmates. Lets get some more support people :clap:

As of right now I will be attending Drexel in the fall. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be if I got in to Jefferson off the waitlist, otherwise I will be at Drexel. As of right now I am in the PIL program. I recently received a packet from Drexel containing financial stuff to fill out, but nothing specific yet.

Also, I currently live about 5 minutes from Drexel, so if anyone has any questions about the area you can ask me.

FINALLY! I was waiting for this thread to appear. I will be attending Drexel in the fall..I liked the school alot and even though it wasn't my first choice (Einstein = rejection), I am excited to be attending in the fall. I am very curious about what my financial aid package will look like however.... :eek:

Do any of you Drexel people have any advice on whether to pick PIL or IFM. Im having a hard time trying to decide between the two b/c im used to the big lecture hall environment but can learn just as well in small groups. Can anyone help me out and give me any more personal info besides whats in the brochure. thanks

RU2003

In terms of IFM vs. PIL, I think I would like PIL better. I never really took much away from lectures anyway and have always been sort of an independent learner (I usually rely heavily on textbooks). I think you can switch from PIL to IFM after the first week if you find out it isn't for you, but you can't go in the opposite direction. That is another reason why i am currently in the PIL program.

I'm an IFM-2nd year student so i'll give you my impressions. Just so all of you know, the ratio of IFM:pIL students is about 5:1 or maybe even 6:1. Just be careful which track you decide to take. By in large, IFM is best for most students. If you're a PIL student you HAVE to attend class no matter what!!! If you're an IFM student you never have to attend class if that's how you learn best. To me, IFM gives you alot of flexibility in terms on learning style. Who knows, maybe you were the type of person who hates lectures but you'll love them in med school or vice versa. IFM really gives you the flexibility to decide how YOU learn best. The curriculum is definitely much more organized IMHO. The PIL students learn w/ "concept maps" which span these humongous white boards in the rooms upstairs. The IFM module guides are fantastic for the most part and are basically all you need to know for the tests & step 1. Good luck, congratulations on your acceptance, you'll have alot of fun at drexel!

I'm interviewing on the 28th... It's a possibility. Any tips??

like path as of right now I will be at Drexel. The only thing that will change this is getting off the waitlist at Tulane. I have talked to several people who all said IFM is better, but they were all in IFM. Only you can decide, I know that PIL won't work for me, I need more direction, but I didn't go to the PIL session at the end of my interview so I dont really know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when classes start?

I think for 03-04, orientation was in the first week of August...

I am super psyched to see you all posting about Drexel. :clap: :clap:

It was a tough decision for me to decide to go, but now I am feeling really excited and happy about it. My boyfriend and I have been trying to coordinate our schooling next year to be in the same location. He's applying to PhD programs in neuroscience. So last week we found out that he had been accepted to Hopkins and UPenn, and he had to make a decision by this week. I have been accepted to Drexel and VCU, and I am waitlisted at Tufts, GW, and UMD (my state school). After much consideration and thought, my boyfriend and I have decided to go for the "sure thing" and choose the Penn/Drexel combo instead of taking our chances and risk not being together for the next 4+ years. Plus, I think that Philly would be a great place to go to school. Anyway, so now I am getting really excited about Drexel and am looking forward to moving to Philly. Currently, I live in the DC area....any one else from here?

As for IFM vs. PIL, I think PIL would be an awesome way to learn, but I don't think that it's for me. I'd feel more comfortable with IFM. I know that you can also move from PIL to IFM after your first year, FYI.

My boyfriend and I are going to try and buy a condo or small house in Philly. Anyone else thinking of doing this?

Am looking forward to meeting you guys in the fall!! :) :thumbup:

I am definitely excited to start school finally. Drexel was actually among my top choices just on the technology. I have a son, and boy would I love not to HAVE to go to lecture ALL the time. I like being there, but it's great things are put online for later review. I am definitely doing the IFM program.
Besides technology, I was very excited about the curriculum....the choice with IFM and PIL is great to have. But the clinical years are awesome in my opinion. I am an older applicant/student so all of my former classmates are first year interns or fourth year..and boy did they warn me about how difficult it is to plan the clinical years. And alot of schools have students figuring things out for themselves...some not so successfullly. Drexel's pathways were among the best idea for clinical years that I have seen..and I am excited about that.

I actually just rented an apartment in Roxborough and will be moving there. I'd love to buy a condo/house...but philly is very expensive right now.

Does Drexel normally have an accepted students reception?????

I'll definitely be there in the fall as well. I'll be an IFM student...I've done the small-group learning thing before, and it wasn't really for me. No word on the financial aid package yet, although I did get all the apps and what not a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

maoeris said:
Does anybody know when classes start?

The admissions office said that orientation for IFM would begin Aug 9th and the PIL students would begin Aug 2.

Has anyone else started to look for an apartment yet? I am interested in living in Center City (there is a thread in Allopathic about it) for a number of reasons. Has anyone else considered this option?

i was probably going to look for an apartment in july. I don't want to sign a lease and then have to give it up if I get off a waiting list. I hope july isn't too late.

Mimi1,

I think that you made the right decision! You should go celebrate now (maybe in Florida perhaps). You know where you are going and Drexel is an excellent school! Anyone else going to Drexel with mimi1 is lucky, she is a wonderful person and will make a fine doctor. DC will be lonely wthout you!

Congrats to the future Drexel class of 2008! :thumbup: :)

hi guys
I'll be at Drexel next year IFM. I'm really excited to start: should be awesome year for us.
As far as living: I'm living at Center City now and I absolutely love it, I'm thinking of staying in Center city for next year as well.
I'm familiar with Philly and Drexel Med Curriculum so pm me if you need any advice.
Can't wait to meet all you guys :) :love:

Welcome to our Drexel thread! I am sure there are more of us out there...seeing as though the class is 240!

I love working in centercity...but its too loud for me to live...I have a baby..so I prefer it to be quiet..which is why I chose Roxborough---a town pretty close to the Queen Lane campus.

bullhorn said:
Welcome to our Drexel thread! I am sure there are more of us out there...seeing as though the class is 240!

I love working in centercity...but its too loud for me to live...I have a baby..so I prefer it to be quiet..which is why I chose Roxborough---a town pretty close to the Queen Lane campus.

It really is so nice to see you all posting here!! :)
So what do you all do? Are you all working, or still in school??

I'll start...I've been out of undergrad for almost 3 years now and have been doing cancer research ever since. Currently, I'm working for a pediatric oncologist and so now I'm sort of interested in going into Peds Heme/Onc. But we will see. I'm in the DC area and am looking forward to exploring Philly.

Bullhorn- What is Roxborough like? How far from Drexel? I'm trying to scout out areas to move to.

Has anybody scheduled their financial aid "entrance interview" yet???

I am currently finishing up undergrad at a school that is really close to Drexel Med. I work at a medical examiner's office during my summers in NY. It is one of the reasons why forensic pathology is on my list of specialties I will consider, along with neurology.

I am from Long Island, but Philly has definitely grown on me. Good bar scene and concert venues (got to love the Troc). I mostly listen to metal, so I go to alot of the metal shows that come to philly. However, I can have fun doing almost anything.

mimi1 said:
It really is so nice to see you all posting here!! :)
So what do you all do? Are you all working, or still in school??

I'll start...I've been out of undergrad for almost 3 years now and have been doing cancer research ever since. Currently, I'm working for a pediatric oncologist and so now I'm sort of interested in going into Peds Heme/Onc. But we will see. I'm in the DC area and am looking forward to exploring Philly.

Bullhorn- What is Roxborough like? How far from Drexel? I'm trying to scout out areas to move to.

Has anybody scheduled their financial aid "entrance interview" yet???

I have been out of undergrad since 2000...went to Princeton undergrad, from Bklyn originally. I work in Center City at the United Way of Southeastern PA...being doing non profit work since graduation essentially.

Roxborough is very nice...IMHO, although I am used to the ruff area of Bklyn when I was growing up. They have plenty of apartment complexes that are pretty affordable...with nice amenities.

Philly has grown on me also. I frequent the bars and clubs in Old City...I like that there seems to be everything for any type of person. That's cool.

I have already scheduled my financial aid entrance interview...I am way to anxious to see my financial aid package...very worried as well, being a poor, single parent.

hi all, i'm trying to decide whether i will go to drexel or one of a couple other schools.... can you all tell me what it is that made you choose drexel over whatever other schools you got into?
thanks

wesgirl04 said:
hi all, i'm trying to decide whether i will go to drexel or one of a couple other schools.... can you all tell me what it is that made you choose drexel over whatever other schools you got into?
thanks

Just to name a few reasons:

1. Drexel is one of the only medical schools that recognizes that students learn in different ways and therefore offers different curriculum to choose from. When will the other schools figure this out too??

2. The school is one of the most technologically advanced medical schools.

3. From everyone I have spoken to at Drexel, I have heard that the faculty is extremely supportive, responsive, and helpful. They are there to TEACH.

4. Drexel offers clinical rotations through different types of hospitals in PA and NJ. Therefore, you get diverse clinical training in all sorts of settings and locations.

5. The student body at Drexel is more diverse than any school I visited in terms of age, ethnicity, background etc.

6. Drexel offers a campus in a safe, quiet location with access to all the resources, activities,and fun found in Philly.

7. Drexel's history is quite unique since it evolved from being the first women's medical colleges!

8. Drexel emphasizes community outreach more than most schools. I believe that serving the community is a fundamental aspect of medicine.

9. Drexel's matchlist is not too shabby.

10. For a private school, Drexel's tuition is not so bad.

GO DREXEL!! :clap: :clap:

Anybody have names of some apartment complexes in the nearby area that is nice to live. I was thinking about living in Manayunk/roxborough area.

Let me know if anyone has any good suggestions. Thanks

Go Drexel!! :clap: :clap:

mimi1 said:
Just to name a few reasons:

1. Drexel is one of the only medical schools that recognizes that students learn in different ways and therefore offers different curriculum to choose from. When will the other schools figure this out too??

2. The school is one of the most technologically advanced medical schools.

3. From everyone I have spoken to at Drexel, I have heard that the faculty is extremely supportive, responsive, and helpful. They are there to TEACH.

4. Drexel offers clinical rotations through different types of hospitals in PA and NJ. Therefore, you get diverse clinical training in all sorts of settings and locations.

5. The student body at Drexel is more diverse than any school I visited in terms of age, ethnicity, background etc.

6. Drexel offers a campus in a safe, quiet location with access to all the resources, activities,and fun found in Philly.

7. Drexel's history is quite unique since it evolved from being the first women's medical colleges!

8. Drexel emphasizes community outreach more than most schools. I believe that serving the community is a fundamental aspect of medicine.

9. Drexel's matchlist is not too shabby.

10. For a private school, Drexel's tuition is not so bad.

GO DREXEL!! :clap: :clap:

Wow...good sell! :laugh:

RU2003 said:
Anybody have names of some apartment complexes in the nearby area that is nice to live. I was thinking about living in Manayunk/roxborough area.

Let me know if anyone has any good suggestions. Thanks

Go Drexel!! :clap: :clap:

I just got an apartment in Valley High Apartments....most of the utilities are paid *all but electricity*, fullsize w/d, and you can even get cable, high speed internet and phone through the complex as well for very very cheap.

Other complexes that I looked at:

Henry on the Park (across the street from Valley High)
Summit Park
Fountain Court Townhouses
Colonial Village (2 and 3bd townhouses)
Cricket Court Commons (east falls...a lil ghetto but still newly rennovated and near the school)

I also checked out: apartmentguide.com, rent.net, rent.com, apartments.com

They were all pretty helpful.

ALSO, UPENN *hate to plug another school* has a off campus housing list that is constantly updated. I can't remember the website but I remember being able to easily find it navigating their main site.

FINALLY, the best site ever..... www.philadelphia.craigslist.org
I loved it...and many of my friends have found great spots everywhere in philly on that site.

GOODLUCK...
Bullhorn

There are also some private listings that you can find in the newspapers,

Very cool. Where are the Valley High apts located, i.e., are they close to Drexel?

are most of you living alone?? I don't really want to get a roomate until i meet some people. Also does anyone know if the leases at some of these apartments are month to month or year long?

Here is the UPenn off-campus apartment listings. This is actually very useful.
http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/

As for myself, I am 95% sure that I will be living alone. I don't want to go through any "getting to know" a new roommate thing for my first year of med school via a random matching process. Also the people I know who will be living in philly next year are not going to med school and are working. I don't think I would enjoy a situation like that next year. I hope to find a reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment instead of a studio, but I will settle if the price is right. I think I am going to look in either the Manayunk area or Center City area. I would prefer Center City, but it is a bit more expensive to live there.

I'll definitely be living by myself, basically for the same reasons as ForensicPath. Plus, I've already done the student roommate thing and don't really want to go there again if possible. I'm thinking I'd like to get a one-bedroom of some sort, preferably not in a complex, as I've generally had better living experiences when the landlord is a person, not a corporation.

I have a son..so it's just me and him...no roommates! LOL. Snapdad, Valley High apartments is on Henry Ave....Henry is perpendicular to Queen Lane (where the med school campus is...about two blocks down)...and it's about a 5 min drive down henry..towards the manayunk/roxborough area. I like the complex alot....and I haven't even moved in yet.

I can't wait to start school. I just received the letter saying orientation starts August 2nd! I can't believe it's happening so soon! I am so excited...

Is the class already filled? I have an interview the last week of april? Do you think there is any chance for acceptance that late in the interview process?

your feedback is appreciated

med2be? said:
Is the class already filled? I have an interview the last week of april? Do you think there is any chance for acceptance that late in the interview process?

Sure. You never know...May 15th (last day to hold multiple acceptances) is still about a month away, and there'll be people that choose to go somewhere else between now and then. You're probably fine.

So to all you Drexel admits, I am a soon to be applicant still in the process of making my decision. I am thinking of taking the MCAT in August but applying this June and telling them that my MCAT scores are on the way. How many of you guys did that? Is this a good idea or does having your MCAT scores when you apply in June important? Also how many of you guys are juniors or seniors in college?

I've actually read about & visited Drexel and it seems like a great schools.

Congrats!! Enjoy!!!

Thanks

Hey CalBear,

I took the August MCAT's the year I applied and I applied very early like you said around end of June. It was not a problem and I feel did not really affect my chances I feel. I just advice you to make sure you have everything else in as soon as possible, like transcripts, LOR's, secondaries, etc...That way when your MCAT scores are available, as soon as they get them they will pull up your completed file and review it.

You should try to have your personal statement done by end of May if possible or early June and send in your application in June if possible as well.

Good Luck applying and maybe we will see you at Drexel next year.

RU2003

Just to clarify: During 1st year, PIL students meet for "Group" on MWF from 9am-noon. This is mandatory. 2nd year PIL students meet for group TTh from 9am-noon. This too is mandatory. Other than that, aside from some mandatory clinical skills sessions (mostly second year stuff) you can skip lecture just like the IFMers. "Group" is when you get together w/ 6 or so other PIL students and a faculty facilitator to go over the clinical cases that make up the "backbone" of your learning. Don't sweat the decision too much as we all do well on the boards. Good luck!

Willamette

I took the August MCAT and everything seemed fine as far as acceptances, interviews. My application was done in JUNE! and secondaries turned around almost two weeks after receiving them. Make sure recommendations are sent in early as well. I got my first interview the day AFTER the mcat scores were released....

babinski bob said:
I'm an IFM-2nd year student so i'll give you my impressions. Just so all of you know, the ratio of IFM:pIL students is about 5:1 or maybe even 6:1. Just be careful which track you decide to take. By in large, IFM is best for most students. If you're a PIL student you HAVE to attend class no matter what!!! If you're an IFM student you never have to attend class if that's how you learn best. To me, IFM gives you alot of flexibility in terms on learning style. Who knows, maybe you were the type of person who hates lectures but you'll love them in med school or vice versa. IFM really gives you the flexibility to decide how YOU learn best. The curriculum is definitely much more organized IMHO. The PIL students learn w/ "concept maps" which span these humongous white boards in the rooms upstairs. The IFM module guides are fantastic for the most part and are basically all you need to know for the tests & step 1. Good luck, congratulations on your acceptance, you'll have alot of fun at drexel!

A few things to add to my fellow classmate's post. We have group sessions which are madatory as well as the clinical sessions (thanks Williamette for elucidating that). The PIL curriculum is definitely very organized. We have lots of lectures. We also have notes. The notes are strangely similar to the IFM module guides. (I say strangely because a lot of them are the same). PIL is extremely flexible to different learning styles. Outside of group, you can go to class, not go to class, watch classes online... you can study by yourself, you can study outloud in groups... etc. We cover the same material as IFM, but we gain three things greater-- first of all, a familiarity with board style questions-- interpreting cases/vignettes. Second, we get that clinical reasoning process from the first day of class. Lastly, we have a lot more clinical experience in the first two years.

We map our cases on the white boards in the upstairs room-- this is how we take something like "shortness of breath" presenting a patient, and show how we got there--- the disesae itself, the process of disease, changes in anatomy/physiology, etc. Those maps are what physicians do in their head to figure out what's going on with patients on the floors.

I live nearby the school-- there are a number of places to live within walking distance if you like: School House Lane, Alden Park, Queen Lane Manor, Park Heights (my place), etc. All can be found on homestore.com. If you have questions about Park Heights, give me a PM.

As for acceptances now-- there is a hold on acceptances until May 15. Students still will be accepted, but you should not expect a big letter first...

Congratulations on your acceptance, I love it here, and hopefully you will too! :D

I have one of the wireless cards for our laptops that is in great shape-- I've used it for 2 years, but when I leave this summer, I'm not going to be able to use it anymore. They cost something like 75-100 bucks new... Anyone want one used? :-D

Current Drexel students, maybe you can help me.

I called the finaid office to find out when I could expect an 'Award Letter". I received the package that had loan application etc. But I wanted to know when I would find out how much I actually would be recieving in scholarship(if any), institutional loan, stafford, perkins etc. The woman on the phone said that they don't send out award letters...and I wouldn't find out if I got any scholarship or whatever until NOVEMBER! Is this true? I guess I am confused because even though I am sure I am going there..what if I needed to compare packages. When I said that she was like 'It's med school honey, it's all loans" lol I am confused because I have an EFC of 0...

Can anyone help? What should I be expecting?

Bullhorn

If you look on your FAFSA form-- where estimated family contribution is located. If it is low (a lot of students are zero) then you will get everything. All of the stafford loans, etc. Some students qualify for the Perkin's and Work study. These are things that are gone over during the entrance interview. Sallie Mae takes care of the rest of the loans to cover expenses.

There are few scholarships-- don't hold out for those.

Basically, if you are an independent, you will get enough loans to cover medical school.

Oh yeah-- the entrance interview-- if you are from far away, you can do it over the phone, so try that one out-- say you are from cali or something.

Thanks Ms. Doctor for the information on finaid.

In regards to PIL, what is the typical schedule like for group sessions...and I heard a rumor regarding a low pass rate for the USMLE Step I...is that true?

What is the early exposure to clincial experience? Is this something IFM students COULD take advantage of but don't?

Bullhorn, and others....

Ah yes, the low pass rate rumors... So at the end of second year, we have the opportunity to take two practice exams (given by the NBME). If we pass those, it means that on that day, we would have likely passed Step 1. If you don't pass one of these tests (if you fail the first you can retake it), you meet with Dr. Parrish and he talks to you about studying, and you are supposed to take more time to study for Step 1. A few years ago, students who didn't pass talked to Dr. Parrish and basically said forget that, I'm gonna take it anyways, and subsequently did not pass. I'm not sure how many people this was, but when the class is 40 people, 1 person not passing drops the rate by 2.5%, which is significant. I'm not sure if it happened with IFM that year too, or not...

Our pass rates prior to this, and after this are high-- same as IFM's, as well as the years after this episode. Our average scores are neglibly different (differed by 1 point this past year- can't remember the numbers). The PIL average on the practice NMBE was higher than IFM's (doesn't really mean that much). Basically, it depends on the people in the class-- both PIL and IFM-- how hard they work, how closely they take advice from faculty, etc.

The early clinical exposure is not something that IFM can take advantage of. The difference is the number of hours scheduled by each curriculum for their students. For example, first year, PIL spends 12 hours per week for 7 weeks at the end of the year working with one doctor. That is 84 hours right there. IFM doesn't come close to that (I don't know their schedule offhand). I think it's something like 4 afternoons for them. I could be wrong about that though-- I just know stuff like that from hearsay. Then during second year, we spend 7 4 hour sessions per semester (total of 14) with physicians.... And that is purely "out of Queen Lane" clinical work. This isn't counting the times we are in the CEAC practicing.

I'm not sure what you meant about schedule for group sessions... did you mean what we do for the 3 hours, I'll answer that.... It really depends on the day. i.e. first day of the case-- we will open the case up, read a page, talk about pertinent data, discuss what we think it might be, talk about tests we would order or how we would talk to the patient. Page 2, repeat-- narrow down what we think it would be based on the information received. etc. until the end of the case that day. Decide what we want to look up. Throughout this, if someone knows something about whatever is happening in the case, they might talk/teach it. (i.e. if it's a physio case and someone was a physio masters and they want to talk about the heart). This can take the whole 3 hours, this may take 1.5. There is usually a break in the middle (10-15 minutes).

The next time-- go over the learning issues (what we wanted to learn)-- this can be in 'mini-lecture' format, quizzes, discussion, games, whatever your imaginatioin can come up with! Then we continue with the case-- repeating the above. Then we get a copy of the learning objectives (what faculty wanted us to get out of the case), look over them to see if we covered them all. If we missed any and feel that it would be good to go over them, we make them issues for the following session. There is a lot of variability, however. Sometimes people focus more on mapping, some focus on discussions... On some days, we have "review" days and cover topics either pertinent to the upcoming exam, or just stuff we feel we are rusty on... the facilitator's are usually pretty good about letting us figure out our own paths.

Let me know if that answered your questions enough...

Thanks Ms. Doctor, that was some good information.

Does anyone know if there is a second-look day at drexel? I'm on a bunch of other waitlists right now, and I would like to know if I can remove myself from a few of them to start narrowing down my possible options. I think a second-look day would be helpful with this.