Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
musicdr said:
I personally despise these type of events (just my personality), but whenever I skip them I always feel like I should've gone. So I'm gonna go, alone, and just suck it up and hope to have a good time with everyone...

anyone else?

that's almost exactly how I feel and I will be going, I think there will at least be an open bar, :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What is the relationship between Drexel and MCP Hahnemann? Same school?
thanks
just curious
congratulations on starting medical school
:eek:

i know---i feel like this is undergrad all over again.....but the open bar thing is definitely the reason I'm gonna send in that check. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Open bar....mmmm..

I think that I'll definitely go to some of the events. Especially the cruise. I'm going to bring my fiance to that, but I think I'll leave him at home for some of the other events. I figure it's better to sign up and atleast have the option to go to the parties etc.

I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks away. I'm getting so excited! It's sort of fun getting all the stuff ready for school. I just got my new computer today!

Anyone else feeling as excited as I am?? :clap:

I'd suggest going to a lot of the events-- especially the welcome back party that's held a couple of weeks into school. Get to know your classmates before everything breaks loose!

Congrats on starting! It's totally exciting!

I don't know what the heck is going on with orientation :confused: . I'm out of town and don't remember what was said in the packet. When is the first MANDATORY day we have to be there? It's different for PIL and IFM right?

For IFM Orientation starts August 2nd. I'm not too sure about the exact date for PIL; it is some time next week though.

Orientation has really snuck up on me. Does anyone else feel like they have way too much to do and absolutely no time to do it?

myID said:
For IFM Orientation starts August 2nd. I'm not too sure about the exact date for PIL; it is some time next week though.

Orientation has really snuck up on me. Does anyone else feel like they have way too much to do and absolutely no time to do it?

PIL's first day is the Wednesday before IFM's first day. therefore July 28!

Ciao.

yeah, WAY too soon. I still don't have a place. I was actually not going to do PIL just b/c its orientation is so much sooner---anyone else doing PIL?

Ok, once again I need to vent about the financial aid office.

About 3 weeks ago I walked into the office, sat down with Genesis (I think that is her name) and asked her to look up my loan information and make sure everything was ok. She said yes. Then I asked if everything went through with THE loans. She said yes. Today I get an automated call from Sallie Mae saying there is something they need to verify in order to process my loan and to call them back. When I called they said that Drexel initiated processing a loan with them. I don?t understand this, my master promissory note said THE in big fat letters. For the lender code, I put THE?S lender number. I am so frustrated. I am going to call Drexel (once again) to try to straighten everything out but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Arggghhhh.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

myID said:

About 3 weeks ago I walked into the office, sat down with Genesis (I think that is her name) and asked her to look up my loan information and make sure everything was ok. She said yes. Then I asked if everything went through with THE loans. She said yes. Today I get an automated call from Sallie Mae saying there is something they need to verify in order to process my loan and to call them back. When I called they said that Drexel initiated processing a loan with them. I don?t understand this, my master promissory note said THE in big fat letters. For the lender code, I put THE?S lender number. I am so frustrated. I am going to call Drexel (once again) to try to straighten everything out but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Crikey. I think I'm a bit behind you in terms of processing, but what I have heard from T.H.E. and Sallie Mae so far make it look like the same thing might be happening to me. Grrr. :thumbdown:

On a related note, for those who have received awards/amounts from the financial aid office, have you already completed your entrance counseling? No awards are showing up for me in DrexelOne yet, and getting any useful info about it from the office is like pulling teeth. I'm hoping it's just that I haven't completed entrance counseling yet.

The only things listed on drexel one are under the 'loan application history', does anyone have anything different? These amounts are still wrong as well ( IFM instead of PIL).

Has anyone had any success in changing these amounts, or having more info in the drexel one system?

hey snapdad----what entrance counseling? Are you doing it just to do it? I don't think it's mandatory anymore----do we have to go to the counseling to get $$$aid???

They haven't said yea or nay to me, so I'm leaving the burden on their side.

I miss summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have to do the one-on-one session. However, they forgot to mention that we still need entrance counseling aside from what we will do at orientation. I only found out because I was trying to view my bill on Drexel One and learned that I had an unsatisfied requirement for financial aid. You can do it on the internet. Log onto drexel one, click on "student services and financial aid." Then click on "financial aid" then "my overall status." There will be something that says "you have unsatisfied requirements for this year" (click on that and then click on whatever your unsatisfied requirements are).

So I called the financial aid office and was told that through an "oversight" on their part, my loan applications were sent to the wrong lender and I have to start the process and fill out all the apps again. I just hope all the money comes through in time.

Yeah. It's not clear what their policy is right now as far as the entrance counseling goes. I know they require it in some form -- they used to require either a face-to-face or phone counseling session the summer before school -- but what I'm told now is that they handle it in orientation. There is an online counseling thingy on DrexelOne, but I did it and it still has me listed as having not satisfied the counseling requirement. I think it may have been for the main campus and not the med school, as all the Stafford loan caps referred to undergrad and grad school, and not the $38,500 we can get as med students. I could be wrong. They did tell me that I had to complete counseling in some form before I could get approved for my Staffords though.

snapdad said:
Yeah. It's not clear what their policy is right now as far as the entrance counseling goes. I know they require it in some form -- they used to require either a face-to-face or phone counseling session the summer before school -- but what I'm told now is that they handle it in orientation. There is an online counseling thingy on DrexelOne, but I did it and it still has me listed as having not satisfied the counseling requirement. I think it may have been for the main campus and not the med school, as all the Stafford loan caps referred to undergrad and grad school, and not the $38,500 we can get as med students. I could be wrong. They did tell me that I had to complete counseling in some form before I could get approved for my Staffords though.

I concur on everything with snapdad. It's scary to think how much money will be owed when it is all over.

this is pretty amazing, I'm in philly right now on my laptop using a wireless connection made available by the city avenue holiday inn Tomorro I start looking for a place to live, I would have done it today if I hadn't gotten f&cking lost and almost ended up in jersey. I drove all the way across the US and didn't get lost once, then in the last few hours i get totally lost, oh well. Hopefully I can find a place to live pretty soon becuase I don't like the idea of living out of a hotel for more than a few days. I walked around the campus today it was my first time since interviewing in october. I can't believe it all starts next monday.

I was there over the weekend in my apartment, and I got horribly lost as well!!! All I wanted to do was find the new grocery store I saw on germantown avenue... (at least about an hour later I did :) )

PIL people are you ready for wed??? I don't know if Im ready for my summer to be over yet.

anyone still looking for a place for this coming fall for Drexel?

female
easy-going
incoming 1st year med student
walking distance to school (no car)

I just got a place in Donna Court which is in Roxborough. I can't believe I was able to find a place in one day. The only problem is that I can't move in until the 6th. At least i'll have a chance to get something set up before the first day of classes. I'll probably see some of the PIL people this week, I was advised to go on campus and have my picture taken for the ID badge.

MErc44 said:
I just got a place in Donna Court which is in Roxborough. I can't believe I was able to find a place in one day. The only problem is that I can't move in until the 6th. At least i'll have a chance to get something set up before the first day of classes. I'll probably see some of the PIL people this week, I was advised to go on campus and have my picture taken for the ID badge.

Wow! That Fast!!!! I'm feeling better about gettin there this Friday night. I was actually thinking about you and glad you got there safe and sane(?). :p
This is totally crazy for me. I'm numb about leaving everything right now. :cool:

Ascensionmd said:
Wow! That Fast!!!! I'm feeling better about gettin there this Friday night. I was actually thinking about you and glad you got there safe and sane(?). :p
This is totally crazy for me. I'm numb about leaving everything right now. :cool:

actually I didn't think much about leaving. I packed my car on the day I left. I didn't really think that I won't be seeing the bay area most likely until christmas. I think that you won't have any trouble finding a place to live. There is an apartment complex called School Lane House very close to the campus. It's actually really nice, hardwood floors and a 24 hour fitness room. The only reason I didn't choose it is because around campus there are only houses, I didn't want to live in a residential area particularly. Rent isn't that bad, at least for me, I went to UCSB and rent is ridiculous down there.

has anyone bought textbooks, or are you waiting until class starts?

myID said:

Yup. The exact same thing has just happened to me, as I expected. I just got an email from Sallie Mae saying that they need more information to continue processing my Staffords, when I actually applied for my Stafford loans through T.H.E. Grrr. Luckily I'm in town now and can physically go over there and deal with it.

On the plus side, I'm in town and the new apartment rocks. I'm over across the river near PCOM, and I like the area a lot. This is a good thing, as I got the apartment sight-unseen on craigslist a few months ago, and although I'd been over by PCOM before, I hadn't seen this block at all until we pulled into town on Monday.

MErc44 said:
has anyone bought textbooks, or are you waiting until class starts?

Hi everyone!!
Welcome to Drexel Med!!

I wouldn't worry too much about housing- there are a number of apartment complexes close to campus that usually have openings. plus, once you get to school, you'll meet a number of other people looking to find roommates/housing. There's a lot of free time during orientation to take care of that stuff.

Don't buy books until you get to school! There will be lots of second years selling thier books - this is the best way to get your books. For some reason, I was totally snobby about my books last year and really had to have lots of brand new (read: overpriced) books - now I'm kicking myself. Also, the second years will be able to tell you which books were most helpful for each class (when you talk to them, ask which curriculum they are in, since PIL and IFM may stress different texts)

Also, have fun during orientation. Go out, meet people, partake in free alcohol. too soon you will be bogged down with studying and then you'll wish you had partied more during orientation. Plus, it's a great way for PIL and IFM people to meet, since during the year the two curriculums have pretty different schedules.

Have fun!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
:)

is anyone gonna or is currently living in center city?
i need to live in a big city, its all about the late night munchies and walking home after gettin wasted. hehehe

someone help me, where can i buy reasonably priced furniture, preferably somewhere near Roxborough. Also is there a best buy or circuit city in the area.

For those of you who are having problems with the financial aid office please e-mail me a list of your problems at [email protected]. When I saw this thread the other day, I mentioned it to Dr. Schindler (Dean of Education) at the monthly Dean's meeting with the student government and she asked that I forward on your issues. I can't guarantee that anything will be done this year, but at least for next year we can avoid the same problems taking place. Thanks.

Tony Koppula

MErc44 said:
someone help me, where can i buy reasonably priced furniture, preferably somewhere near Roxborough. Also is there a best buy or circuit city in the area.

Hmmm, well, the most reasonably priced furniture is of course IKEA - but it's about 20 minutes from Roxborough. On Main St. in Manayunk there is a used/discount office furniture warehouse (I think it's called AAA furniture), but I've never been there.

In the same area as IKEA there's a Circuit City (and a Best Buy) - but I think there might be a Radio Shack on Ridge in Roxborough? Good Luck!

pwrpfgrl said:
Hmmm, well, the most reasonably priced furniture is of course IKEA - but it's about 20 minutes from Roxborough. On Main St. in Manayunk there is a used/discount office furniture warehouse (I think it's called AAA furniture), but I've never been there.

In the same area as IKEA there's a Circuit City (and a Best Buy) - but I think there might be a Radio Shack on Ridge in Roxborough? Good Luck!

We found that same Best Buy last night...the drive wasn't too bad. If you go NW on Ridge all the way to 476 and turn right, you're there. There's also a Target, Lowe's, and Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also get there by going up 476 to the Norristown exit...the stores are visible from the off-ramp.

is the shopping center called Andorra or something like that? Also, can you get from 76 to 476? I followed ridge ave the other day for awhile and I came to a shopping center and unless I am completely blind, and i'm not saying that i'm not I didn't see a best buy.

MErc44 said:
is the shopping center called Andorra or something like that? Also, can you get from 76 to 476? I followed ridge ave the other day for awhile and I came to a shopping center and unless I am completely blind, and i'm not saying that i'm not I didn't see a best buy.

You can easily get from 76 to 476... Just take the expressway (76) out of the city (towards like king of prussia), and keep going until you see signs for 476. If you want to get to IKEA and the target/oldnavy/bestbuy place take 476 towards Plymouth meeting (NOT towards chester). Its super easy!!! For Ikea, take the conshohockon exit (immediately as soon as you see the ikea on your left) and the shopping center is the next exit.

You can also easily get back into the city by taking ridge pk all the way back in (lots of lights and such, but grocery stores and such are along the way)

Sorry if my directions dont make much sense, but it really is a snap to get to!

MErc44 said:

you need to keep going - you were about half-way there when you were at Andorra. To get to Target/Best Buy/Bed Bath and Beyond keep going down Ridge past Andorra - the name changes to Ridge Pike. Keep going until you get to Chemical Road (there's a Toyota dealership on the right) - turn right and the mall will be on your left at the 2nd and 3rd lights. To get to IKEA, don't turn right on chemical road - keep going straight on Ridge Pike, you'll cross over 476 and IKEA will be on your left (but strangely, you'll have to turn right to go left - gotta love Pennsylvania!)

Now you know every possible way to get to Ikea from school - you better find it this time! ;)

I should be able to manage. Are we supposed to bring our laptops to orientation week? Mine is a dell and it isn't that light.