Drexel vs. EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flippermccoys

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been sitting on an acceptance from EVMS for awhile but I just got offered a spot off the waitlist at Drexel, so it’s decision time.

**EVMS**

Pros:

-cheaper (although money isn’t a huge concern)

-I was in their SMP program so M1 year will be very familiar and easier for me

-already have an apartment in Norfolk

-family lives close by

-great ultrasound training

-better Step 1 scores

Cons:

-match list is not as impressive

-very family medicine oriented (I know for sure I want to specialize and NOT do family medicine)

-less clerkship opportunities???

**Drexel**

Pros:

-very impressive match list (especially on east coast) and I know I want to specialize in something [I’m interested in IR, ENT, Urology, Ortho, Rad Onc, Gastro]

-more opportunities for research?

-living in a big city like Philadelphia could be exciting

Cons:

-expensive (again, this is not an issue)

-lower step 1 score

-I’d have to find a new apartment and move all my stuff (minor issue)

-uncertain about the quality of the facilities and resources at Drexel??

-uncertain how people feel about the curriculum?

-Hahnemann hospital closure may affect clerkships?

-no family close by

So if you can’t tell, these pros/cons have me leaning more toward EVMS, but I’m worried about the fact that most graduates match to either family medicine or internal medicine. While some students get matched into more competitive specialties, they are few and far between compared to Drexel’s list (EVMS matched only 7 ortho, 2 ENT, 0 IR, 1 Urology, 0 Rad Onc in 2019). As you can see, the odds are pretty slim in my specialties of choice and I know Drexel’s numbers are a lot better, even though I don’t have them on me.

On the other hand, EVMS has better Step 1 scores so maybe it’s just up to me? Could these numbers simply be a product of self-selection and the fact that EVMS is a state school, attracting more family med-oriented students? How much should I read in to the match lists?

Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s. if anyone actually has match lists for Drexel please send them my way

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve been sitting on an acceptance from EVMS for awhile but I just got offered a spot off the waitlist at Drexel, so it’s decision time.

**EVMS**

Pros:

-cheaper (although money isn’t a huge concern)

-I was in their SMP program so M1 year will be very familiar and easier for me

-already have an apartment in Norfolk

-family lives close by

-great ultrasound training

-better Step 1 scores

Cons:

-match list is not as impressive

-very family medicine oriented (I know for sure I want to specialize and NOT do family medicine)

-less clerkship opportunities???

**Drexel**

Pros:

-very impressive match list (especially on east coast) and I know I want to specialize in something [I’m interested in IR, ENT, Urology, Ortho, Rad Onc, Gastro]

-more opportunities for research?

-living in a big city like Philadelphia could be exciting

Cons:

-expensive (again, this is not an issue)

-lower step 1 score

-I’d have to find a new apartment and move all my stuff (minor issue)

-uncertain about the quality of the facilities and resources at Drexel??

-uncertain how people feel about the curriculum?

-Hahnemann hospital closure may affect clerkships?

-no family close by

So if you can’t tell, these pros/cons have me leaning more toward EVMS, but I’m worried about the fact that most graduates match to either family medicine or internal medicine. While some students get matched into more competitive specialties, they are few and far between compared to Drexel’s list (EVMS matched only 7 ortho, 2 ENT, 0 IR, 1 Urology, 0 Rad Onc in 2019). As you can see, the odds are pretty slim in my specialties of choice and I know Drexel’s numbers are a lot better, even though I don’t have them on me.

On the other hand, EVMS has better Step 1 scores so maybe it’s just up to me? Could these numbers simply be a product of self-selection and the fact that EVMS is a state school, attracting more family med-oriented students? How much should I read in to the match lists?

Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s. if anyone actually has match lists for Drexel please send them my way

Losing HUH should not affect the incoming class or the MS2’s. You guys won’t have to be moved to new sites like the M3/M4’s

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Drexel. Match list seems more in your favor. STEP is largely individualistic. Distance from Philly to where your family is minimal

I understand the allure of EVMS but it is very primary care/fam medicine oriented per my friends who attend/attended

Last edited:
Drexel all the way! I agree with the above; Drexel's curriculum is unique and their match list is great. You won't have issues with their facilities or resources - they have more than evms does

^Match list above is incorrect - I wouldn't go by MSAR. Drexel definitely had more speciality matches than that. For example, Drexel had 4 match into otolaryngology in their most recent list, 9 in radiology-diagnostic, 1 in plastics, 9 in ortho, etc. It was not 0%.

The programs Drexel students are matching into are prestigious and well placed across the country. I personally think Drexel has a better match list than EVMS and I don't think their students would match into such programs if the teaching/rotations were poor at Drexel. It's a fine, well-respected school and they worked hard to get over setbacks. Like @ciestar was saying, it won't affect the incoming class. Rotations will be absolutely fine. I wouldn't remove Drexel from my applications because of this.

^Match list above is incorrect - I wouldn't go by MSAR. Drexel definitely had more speciality matches than that. For example, Drexel had 4 match into otolaryngology in their most recent list, 9 in radiology-diagnostic, 1 in plastics, 9 in ortho, etc. It was not 0%.

The programs Drexel students are matching into are prestigious and well placed across the country. I personally think Drexel has a better match list than EVMS and I don't think their students would match into such programs if the teaching/rotations were poor at Drexel. It's a fine, well-respected school and they worked hard to get over setbacks. Like @ciestar was saying, it won't affect the incoming class. Rotations will be absolutely fine. I wouldn't remove Drexel from my applications because of this.

I posted a link to the match list itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Whenever an institution has suffered a significant setback, you should wonder about the leadership of that organization
I have this concern about a few programs including Drexel, UNC, Miami, etc, places to which I am considering to apply this cycle

According to the most recent MSAR, Specialty Training for Graduating Class:

EVMS
Family Medicine: 8%
Emergency 13%
Ortho 1%
Otolaryngology 3%
Plastic Surgery: 1%
Radiology Diagnostic 5%
Tuition $35K (IS for OP)

Drexel
Family Medicine: 9%
Ortho: 4%
Otolaryngology: 0%
Plastic Surgery: 0%
Radiology Diagnostic: 0%
Tuition: $59k

OP said money is not an issue. However, lets be realistic: 35 vs 59 is the difference between buying a car, not including cost of living, plus moving costs, then there is going solo at Drexel vs family in Norfolk, and OP already stated they did SMP at EVMS meaning M1 will be very comfortable at EVMS which translates possibly a higher Step 1 Score. Not so for Drexel. Plus rotations are set and stable at EVMS while Drexel is in flux.

OP, it seems to me, is gunning for Drexel, and that is fine. It is your journey.
But the data (Match results), logistics, costs, chances of superior academic performance and less stress are on EVMS.
Matching is on your Step 1 scores and what you decide to choose after M3. Your choices now are just that: now.
What you will choose in 3 years is anyones guess.

If you want to be seeking new adventure, then Drexel might be the way to go. But medical school, and definitely M1 and M2 years, are not for seeking adventure. They are for doing the best you can.

Choose your path accordingly. Be smart about this

0 DR matches? Lol not even close there were 9 from my count

Additionally, while talking to people who did match FM, many had the resumes to match in other specialties, but chose not to. Stuff like this is never taken into consideration.

Last edited:
0 DR matches? Lol not even close there were 7 from my count

Additionally, while talking to people who did match FM, many had the resumes to match in other specialties, but chose not to. Stuff like this is never taken into consideration.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. I counted nine on their website for DR haha

Edit: Actually, the match list shows multiple positions for some hospitals, so the number for competitive specialities are actually greater - like 10 for ortho and 10 for DR. If anyone else is looking at it, make sure to go through it in detail!

Last edited:
Yeah, I completely agree with this. I counted nine on their website for DR haha

Edit: Actually, the match list shows multiple positions for some hospitals, so the number for competitive specialities are actually greater - like 10 for ortho and 10 for DR. If anyone else is looking at it, make sure to go through it in detail!

I have another copy of the match list. It has names on it but i can take a look and give actual numbers.

Whenever an institution has suffered a significant setback, you should wonder about the leadership of that organization
I have this concern about a few programs including Drexel, UNC, Miami, etc, places to which I am considering to apply this cycle

According to the most recent MSAR, Specialty Training for Graduating Class:

EVMS
Family Medicine: 8%
Emergency 13%
Ortho 1%
Otolaryngology 3%
Plastic Surgery: 1%
Radiology Diagnostic 5%
Tuition $35K (IS for OP)

Drexel
Family Medicine: 9%
Ortho: 4%
Otolaryngology: 0%
Plastic Surgery: 0%
Radiology Diagnostic: 0%
Tuition: $59k

OP said money is not an issue. However, lets be realistic: 35 vs 59 is the difference between buying a car, not including cost of living, plus moving costs, then there is going solo at Drexel vs family in Norfolk, and OP already stated they did SMP at EVMS meaning M1 will be very comfortable at EVMS which translates possibly a higher Step 1 Score. Not so for Drexel. Plus rotations are set and stable at EVMS while Drexel is in flux.

OP, it seems to me, is gunning for Drexel, and that is fine. It is your journey.
But the data (Match results), logistics, costs, chances of superior academic performance and less stress are on EVMS.
Matching is on your Step 1 scores and what you decide to choose after M3. Your choices now are just that: now.
What you will choose in 3 years is anyones guess.

If you want to be seeking new adventure, then Drexel might be the way to go. But medical school, and definitely M1 and M2 years, are not for seeking adventure. They are for doing the best you can.

Choose your path accordingly. Be smart about this

Just curious, what setback has Miami had?

Drexel is a great option! I spent a lot of time with their med school and can comment on some things that stood out to me:

-14 Summer Research Fellowships just for med students in wide areas (aging initiative is especially cool!)
-collaborative engagement with the other schools within DU like the public health and law schools (CHAMPS is one program that comes to mind)
-really cool elective options like wilderness medicine and dual degree programs
-strong focus on humanities and liberal arts/music in medicine
-focused on student wellness (I love this part because Drexel really does have creative options for students to stay healthy! check these out)
-MD curriculum societies and associated learning opportunities
-established hospital rotations - Kaiser Permanente connection has made it easier for students to match into Cali
-women's health education program
-innovative and virtual technology! esp handy with simulation and understanding basic science in a unique way
-diverse global health training programs
-EDGE initiative

Check those out for sure and feel free to PM me for q's - I know a lot about this school!

Drexel is a great option! I spent a lot of time with their med school and can comment on some things that stood out to me:

-14 Summer Research Fellowships just for med students in wide areas (aging initiative is especially cool!)
-collaborative engagement with the other schools within DU like the public health and law schools (CHAMPS is one program that comes to mind)
-really cool elective options like wilderness medicine and dual degree programs
-strong focus on humanities and liberal arts/music in medicine
-focused on student wellness (I love this part because Drexel really does have creative options for students to stay healthy! check these out)
-MD curriculum societies and associated learning opportunities
-established hospital rotations - Kaiser Permanente connection has made it easier for students to match into Cali
-women's health education program
-innovative and virtual technology! esp handy with simulation and understanding basic science in a unique way
-diverse global health training programs
-EDGE initiative

Check those out for sure and feel free to PM me for q's - I know a lot about this school!

Kaiser relationship is no more FYI