Drexel vs FIU! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala0997

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am really struggling with this decision. I don't have any scholarship info yet, which will play a pretty big part in my decision. I would really appreciate your guys' input! I listed facts about each school that are relevant to my decision, if you feel like there is anything missing please inform me! Things in quotes are from MSAR.

Drexel:

• 60K TUITION (cheaper than FIU’s 70K tuition)
  • 83K COA
  • Grading - Preclinical is P/F. Clinical is 4-tier (honors, highly satisfactory, satisfactory, unsatisfactory)
  • Internal rankings (I think? I've heard conflicting things.)
  • Founded in 1848/has prestige
  • Ranked
  • No mandatory attendance, lectures posted online
  • Instruction style: Problem based and team based learning

Definite Cons:
  • COLD WEATHER, as a lifelong CA resident- I am not good in the cold and not sure how I'd survive in Philadelphia.
  • Class size is 300 & 40 of the students will be sent to Reading, PA for their first 2 years

FIU HWCOM:
  • The weather is amazing. (I know people say it's too hot but I love the heat). Also, I went to UCSB for undergrad and going to the beach was a huge stress reliever for me.
  • Grading - "Preclinical is P/F. Third-period clerkships are honors/near honors/pass/fail. Fourth-period is pass/fail."
  • Internal rankings
  • Class size is ~120
  • Taking Step 1 after 3rd year (not sure if this is a pro or con now that - Step 1 is P/F and that means less time to study for Step 2, right?)
  • "Attendance is required for activities requiring student participation, for example case discussions and team-based learning sessions. Not required for lecture-only, recorded sessions."
  • "Instruction styles: lecture, laboratory, simulation, flipped classroom, case- and problem-based group discussions, team based learning sessions, clinical experiences, and independent study."

CONS:

• 108K COA
  • Founded in 2006, new facilities (PRO) but unknown school
  • Unranked

FIU has a small class size and seems to have a tight-knit non-competitive environment, which I really really appreciate. I'm struggling with the decision and hoping FIU gives me A LOT of scholarships/aid so I can feel better about choosing them. I'm not particularly interested in "competitive specialties" like neurosurgery, plastics, etc., so I don't know how much Drexel's higher ranking matters. I really really appreciate your input, as this is a really big and difficult choice for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think a few more questions to think about is what speciality are you thinking about and do you want to match back to California?

Reactions: 1 user
I think a few more questions to think about is what speciality are you thinking about and do you want to match back to California?
I am open to matching back in CA but it's not a huge deal for me - I've spent 23 years of my life here and am ready to experience other places.

As for specialties, I am leaning towards internal medicine or emergency medicine. Not interested in the super-competitive specialties like neurosurgery, plastics, or ortho. Could be interested in derm.

How would you say this impacts my decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't think you'll like the cold, I promise FIU is a better fit. As a Florida person who is spending their gap year in Philly, it's fkn cold. October-March will be weather you're not used to. I've finally adjusted but I promise it's nothing like what FIU's weather would be like.

Plus, 300 class size is so big. FIU's 120 seems so wonderful.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users