Drexel vs FIU vs Vtech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLebron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been accepted to these schools and wanted to get an opinion on what do you guys recommend. My future goal includes surgery, possibly cardio.

Drexel
Pros:
-Established school
-Grading: P/F
-closer to home
-Nice location, i like the city life
-more matches on east coast. this is where I want to end up practicing.

Cons:
-New curriculum; all online

FIU:
Pros:
-Step 1 scores are off the charts
-++location: Miami
-great affiliated hospitals for rotations
-really connected with people during the interview

Cons:
-newer school so not established.
-regular grading system. Don't think this affects me too much.
-expensive tuition
-miami traffic

Vtech:
Pros:
-20K Scholarship for the first year
-Research Emphasis
-True Pass/Fail
-more time to study for step 1 ~3 months
-old step exams for regular exams
-LOW cost of attendance!!

Cons:
-Small class size. I am not sure if I will be able to connect with a such a small class.
-Really didn't like the location.
-not established
-didn't really connect with the current students during the interview

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a coin.
Toss it.
If it's heass eliminate Drexel.
If it's tails eliminate Florida International

Now Flip again,
If it is heads again, eliminate Virginia Tech

Go to the school that's left.

is drexel as bad as people make it seem to be?

As far as picking a school, ask yourself, what is the most important thing to you (cost, for example)? Is there anything about a school you absolutely cannot deal with?

Try and prioritize what you desire from your school most. Then break down the smaller details that may sway your opinion one way or the other. Based on your post, I’d say you’re leaning more toward Drexel or VT.

As far as picking a school, ask yourself, what is the most important thing to you (cost, for example)? Is there anything about a school you absolutely cannot deal with?

Try and prioritize what you desire from your school most. Then break down the smaller details that may sway your opinion one way or the other. Based on your post, I’d say you’re leaning more toward Drexel or VT.

Drexel is my top choice at this point mainly because of their match list and it being closer to home. I just hope that attending drexel doesn't limit what I can do and what type of residencies I can get

FIU reported their average STEP1 score to be 240 though. They must be doing something right.

Reactions: 1 user
I have gotten a vibe from Drexel students themselves here on SDN that out of all MD schools, Drexel seems to generate a lot of disfavor.

Isn’t it true though, that those most dissatisfied are most likely to complain?

I don’t disagree, but I’m sure all schools do this. However, my point is that that it is NOT as bad or equivalent to the Carib... you are not as a serious disadvantage residency wise if you go to Drexel. We match people to competitive residencies every year.

Isn’t it true though, that those most dissatisfied are most likely to complain?

I don’t disagree, but I’m sure all schools do this. However, my point is that that it is NOT as bad or equivalent to the Carib... you are not as a serious disadvantage residency wise if you go to Drexel. We match people to competitive residencies every year.
Very true.