DREXEL waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terminator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how many people Drexel usually accept off the waitlist ? It doesnt seem like that many SDNers are going to Drexel. I estimate that about 1 out of 6 of those accepted goes to Drexel (based on previous years info from MDapplicant) . This is what I think of the breakdown is :

# applicants applied : ~8000
# interviews: ~1300
# acceptances/waitlists/rejections: 1/3 for each ( So about 433 accepted, 433 waitlisted, 433 outright rejected)

Of those 433 accepted, 1 out of 6 will go to to Drexel, meaning 72 people will go, leaving ( 225 - 72 ) 153 spots free up for waitlisted students. Of course, they're not going to accept exactly 153 students off the waitlist, they are going to accept more, like around 300 (2x), to guarantee that their class would be full if 50% of them would go.

If i'm right, that's a lot of open seats, and there might be hope for us who are waitlisted there.

What do you guys think ??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waitlisted at Drexel too, and I would enroll if I got accepted off the list. Can you really trust that MDapplicants figure, "1 in 6"? If so, then I say, "Amen!"

I talked to an admissions person a couple of months ago and though they were very vague about waitlist info...they said that they took ~30 people off the waitlist last year...but that qualified as "little movement." I dont know how many offers they extended or any other info for that matter. I'm sure that it varies year to year. Sorry if that bursts any bubbles. good luck.

p.s. it didnt make sense to me either that they took so few off the waitlist. That would mean Drexel retained about 40% of its original acceptances..which we all know would be a surprise... oh well...there is no use in trying to divine this whole thing...just hope for the big envelope.

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't catch this waitlist thread earlier but yup I'm another waitlistee...when I called a couple of days ago, they were very ambigious about the number on the waitlist but they said it should be moving soon...

i don't remember if i read it in another thread or not, but drexel notifies wait-listed students of acceptance through snail mail, correct? we shouldn't be expecting phone calls or e-mails?

i JUST called today and was told that the waitlist moves in July...not sure if this is new news, but its what i've been told a few times. oi. :thumbup: :luck:

bh88 said:
i JUST called today and was told that the waitlist moves in July...not sure if this is new news, but its what i've been told a few times. oi. :thumbup: :luck:

JULY?!?!?!?!? :eek:

inferno said:
JULY?!?!?!?!? :eek:

i know. i really wanted to use these :scared: :scared: :thumbdown: :confused: instead, but i decided to show some optimism. :thumbup:

I just got an acceptance letter from drexel the other day. Hopefully I'll get off BU's waitlist and so that'll be a spot for one of you guys.

Just keep your heads up, I'm sure most of you guys will get in eventually.

I emailed the dean of admissions a couple of days ago, and he mentioned that they won't start pulling people off the waitlist until the end of june.

NCSUco04 said:
I emailed the dean of admissions a couple of days ago, and he mentioned that they won't start pulling people off the waitlist until the end of june.

Remember there are some of us waiting for a decision. I was told that I won't hear back until mid-june. I guess waitlist movement will follow after that big-time.

NCSUco04 said:

hey, i was wondering what email you used...when i emailed him he didnt reply...(assuming he got it )...thanks for the info, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys, I called the admissions office a week ago, and this is what I got:

1. Waitlist movement doesnt begin until July. Acceptances will be sent via snail mail.

2. Usually only about 30 people will be pulled off from the waitlist based on previous years data ( is this bs or what ? )

3. The waitlist IS RANKED, but that information cannot be disclosed to students ( another BS to me )

Just letting you all know, I withdrew late last week, so there are spots still opening!!

Good Luck to everyone on the waitlist :luck: :luck: :luck:

I think your 1/6 is completely wrong. Last year they had hardly no waitlist movement. To fill a class of 225 you're saying that they would have to accept 1350 people! Most schools barely accept double their class size, Drexel is no different from my understanding.

has anyone heard from drexel lately?

missmonkey said:
has anyone heard from drexel lately?

i think another thread about drexel, some of the people mentioned that they had called admissions and the staff told them that the waitlist doesn't move until late june/early july as they're still looking through the last round of interviews.

If you interviewed on Mar. 19th (saturday) with the dean and you have not heard from Drexel, please PM me. I will give you the details through PMs. Thanks.

I interviewed at Drexel in the end of April, and was told that they started giving "acceptance holds", as well as waitlisting. Meaning, that rather than waitlisting, they also hold of on notifying interviewees, with the intention of waitlisting. I was waitlisted at Drexel last year, and just got an acceptance letter from them. So (I'm sorry to say this), but if they are still giving acceptance letters outright, I think it may be a while for the waitlist. Hang in there! TAlso, email Dr. Tunkel...he called me last year in June to tell me I wouldn't be getting in, told me what he thought I should do, I did it, and got in this year.

Who's Dr. Tunkel?

Do you guys know if Drexel cuts down thier waitlist? I know at Tulane, a few weeks ago, they sent out rejections to about half the waitlist. Does Drexel do the same?

Where will all of you guys be headed to if you don't get off the waitlist.
I am on the waitlist for Drexel right now too but am considering taking myself off of it.

anyone have anything new to report?
Any news or movement?

No updates! (whenever this thread gets bumped I get a bit worried :oops: )
naach83 said:
Who's Dr. Tunkel?
Dr. Alan Tunkel is the Assistant Dean of Admissions I think..He was the one who signed my waitlist letter so he was the one to whom I wrote a letter of interest...If I don't get off the waitlist, I'll be going to my state school -Wayne -(though I plan on waiting til a couple of weeks before classes start to give up this waitlist, unless I get rejected before that time ofcourse)

hey guys,
To let you know: Drexel is going to committee today for waitlist spots.
There are always traditionally a lot of ppl on the list, and they usually keep you on it until the very end.
Also: know that Drexel has a post-bac program designed specifically for underpriveledged applicants. It's the Direct-Pathway-to-Medical-School (DPMS). These kids automatically get a spot in the med school class with an overall 3.0 gpa and a 24 on the MCAT. They all took the April MCAT, so their scores should be out shortly. There are about 18-20 kids in the DPMS program this year. Last year there were 12 and only 4 matriculated into Drexel. If you don't get in this round, hound them soon after the MCATs are released. They should be opening up spots from DPMSers that did not get their guarantee admit...

Good Luck!
:D

Thats great news....hopefully we will hear some good things soon!! G'luck to everyone on the waitlist!

add me to the waitlist. I just found out today.

emeraldcity said:
hey guys,
To let you know: Drexel is going to committee today for waitlist spots.
There are always traditionally a lot of ppl on the list, and they usually keep you on it until the very end.
Also: know that Drexel has a post-bac program designed specifically for underpriveledged applicants. It's the Direct-Pathway-to-Medical-School (DPMS). These kids automatically get a spot in the med school class with an overall 3.0 gpa and a 24 on the MCAT. They all took the April MCAT, so their scores should be out shortly. There are about 18-20 kids in the DPMS program this year. Last year there were 12 and only 4 matriculated into Drexel. If you don't get in this round, hound them soon after the MCATs are released. They should be opening up spots from DPMSers that did not get their guarantee admit...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info Emeraldcity....it's such a relief to finally hear something about the waitlist after such a long wait. Can I ask if you know anything else about the Drexel waitlist, like how the committee reviews waitlisted applicants or any stats on the waitlist? Also, I'm assuming by 'hound' you mean calling the admissions office around the time that mcat scores come out, or would it be better to contact the Dean directly? Thanks again.

Hey Lybda:

From what I know, Drexel gave admission to ppl who had a minimum of 3.5 gpa and 32's on the MCAT. I am not sure how many people are on the waitlist from that point on, but it is a rather large #. And they do also have a fair # of kids from their own post-bac program, many of whom are also on the waitlist. They do have a slight advantage over other applicants, in that the med school knows how well their post-bac students will do once they are in med school.
And yes, by "hound" I do mean call, call, call. They do keep track of any correspondance you make with them, ie: phone calls, letters, etc. Try and get a phone call/meeting with Lisa Ciffelli (she's the head lady in Admissions over there). Ask her if she would be willing to go thru your app with you, to offer suggestions/advice for next year, etc. She's also a good one to ask about waitlist movement and your chances of getting off.
That's about all i really know. goodluck!

emeraldcity said:
Hey Lybda:

From what I know, Drexel gave admission to ppl who had a minimum of 3.5 gpa and 32's on the MCAT. I am not sure how many people are on the waitlist from that point on, but it is a rather large #. And they do also have a fair # of kids from their own post-bac program, many of whom are also on the waitlist. They do have a slight advantage over other applicants, in that the med school knows how well their post-bac students will do once they are in med school.
And yes, by "hound" I do mean call, call, call. They do keep track of any correspondance you make with them, ie: phone calls, letters, etc. Try and get a phone call/meeting with Lisa Ciffelli (she's the head lady in Admissions over there). Ask her if she would be willing to go thru your app with you, to offer suggestions/advice for next year, etc. She's also a good one to ask about waitlist movement and your chances of getting off.
That's about all i really know. goodluck!

so if u call admissions do u just ask for lisa and they'll give her the phone...or is there a certain time to call

To correct my post from before, Dr.Tunkel is the associate dean of admissions not the assistant dean.
Also when I called I was told not to expect any movement of the waitlist til July :luck:

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to reiterate the importance of patience in this nerve-racking time. I myself got off the waitlist in late June, and I know of a couple of people in my class who got off the waitlist in late July(literally a few days before orientation). Therefore, anything is possible. Just hang in there!

Good luck,
Flick

Flick said:
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to reiterate the importance of patience in this nerve-racking time. I myself got off the waitlist in late June, and I know of a couple of people in my class who got off the waitlist in late July(literally a few days before orientation). Therefore, anything is possible. Just hang in there!

Good luck,
Flick

hey flick,
did you call in and write numerous letters when you were on hold? i wrote one letter, but dont know whether writing numerous letters, calling, etc, makes a big difference to get off the waitlist. Thanks so much!

macamarna said:
hey flick,
did you call in and write numerous letters when you were on hold? i wrote one letter, but dont know whether writing numerous letters, calling, etc, makes a big difference to get off the waitlist. Thanks so much!

I've been told that the waitlist is ranked and numerous letters and calling wont help.. :( THis of course is only from an admissions person via phone...but if anyone knows any better let me know

I definitely wrote two letters of interest, but I honestly have no clue whether it made a difference. My philosophy was always better to do all you can and have the peace of mind, rather then sit around and wonder what else you could have done.

Hope that helps,
Flick

Flick said:
I definitely wrote two letters of interest, but I honestly have no clue whether it made a difference. My philosophy was always better to do all you can and have the peace of mind, rather then sit around and wonder what else you could have done.

Hope that helps,
Flick

thanks flick,
i think im gonna write another one, just so i wont wonder what would have happened if i had, or feel that i should have done more... anyway, thanks for the encouragment and advice. its much appreciated!!!!! :)

Flick said:

Hope that helps,
Flick

Hey Flick, did you address the letter to Dr. Tunkel or anyone specific? Or does it matter?

I wrote all my letters to "Dear Admissions Committee," b/c there is no guarantee that it will get to Dr. Tunkel. I know that he reads a lot of them, but he is an extraordinarily busy guy, so no promises.

Best of luck to you all.

Flick

i called today and the person said that there has been some movement on the waitlist and confirmed that it is ranked.

i think we all knew this already but just in case.

hey everyone,

i'm withdrawing today - (just because drexel is not in the best location for me - i did like the school) so there's another spot!

good luck to everyone -

inferno said:
i called today and the person said that there has been some movement on the waitlist and confirmed that it is ranked.

i think we all knew this already but just in case.

Eh, the person I talked to yesterday said there won't be any movement until July... Yeah right.

yea there has already been movement. I called Drexel and they confirmed. And since they don't tell you the 'rank' obviously they are not picking people off from 1 to however long the list is. I'm sure there's a lot of subjective choosing.

Bump, any news?

That's great that some people are getting off the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

sjy23 said:
That's great that some people are getting off the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

any news? anyone? well good luck all!!!

Hopefully, someone on this thread can help me out. I've been trying to withdraw my acceptance to Drexel for the past few days now. I've gotten no replies to my emails. Anyone know who I should be contacting (email or phone) to withdraw? Good luck to everyone waiting.

tic112 said:
Hopefully, someone on this thread can help me out. I've been trying to withdraw my acceptance to Drexel for the past few days now. I've gotten no replies to my emails. Anyone know who I should be contacting (email or phone) to withdraw? Good luck to everyone waiting.

i've had trouble getting any word back from them via e-mail. I was however able to get through to someone at the admissions office. Therefore, i'd just call toe admissions office and listen for the option that says to speak to a representative, etc.