DRG for interstitial cystitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufmd14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just need some opinions. I have a 65 year old female patient who has interstitial cystitis. Patient previously had an interstim a few years ago which failed and was removed. She had had multiple hypogastric blocks which initially helped however she's only receiving about 2 weeks worth of relief . Has anyone tried DRG for for pelvic pain/ interstitial cystitis? I know the global indication is for CRPS but does anyone know which diagnosis codes may be helpful to get this approved through insurance?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Interstim is a pretty limited system designed primarily for functional issues targetting primarily S3/S4, so understanding what the failure was due to would be useful before pursuing another stimulation modality. Still I have had luck with it for some male/female pain states that are associated with on-label bowel/bladder functionality issues, but I hesitate to use it until I'm looking at IT pump vs electrical implants.

I might try something less invasive with similar data for bladder function, such as percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation, prior to another round of implantables.

I would clarify also what you mean by hypogastric blocks, as in inferior or superior hypogastric?
Do they help pain or function?

Is it more reasonable to just do q2w injections with local anesthetic only?

If you're playing cleanup then, you would benefit from showing that selective nerve root blocks of individual DRGs perhaps help your pain pathology, and then build a case for DRG or peripheral nerve mediated pain causing secondary bladder issues. You could then place an Abbott or Stimwave lead through that foramen to target the DRG and nerve root for a trial.

IMO, pelvic pain more than other pains, is far more complex than just finding the pain generator/transducer. In these scenarios, you're playing cleanup, I use the more interventional options only after the patient has committed to cleaning up the rest of their medications and lifestyle things.

IC = CRPS vs fibro of the bladder

Reactions: 1 users
At my DRG course a guy had done 2 cases for IC and it apparently worked. I don't have any details other than that.

SOunds like you need industry support to set up a research study.
Is this sarcasm or a real recommendation? I am leaning towards sarcasm, but I'm not sure. If it is sarcasm, can you tell me the context? Is there a lot of BS funded by stim companies to produce fake literature? Or is there another weird money side to this that I haven't heard about?

If you want to experiment on patients tou should write a protocol, submit for IRB approval, and look for funding. Anything less is a money grab by doing a procedure for specious reasons under the guise of being a caring provider.

If you want to experiment on patients tou should write a protocol, submit for IRB approval, and look for funding. Anything less is a money grab by doing a procedure for specious reasons under the guise of being a caring provider.
Is doing stim for abdominal or pelvic pain specious?

How exactly is pelvic neuralgia a BS Dx for stim? If it is okay for crps or persistant radiculitis why is this different?

God I'm so glad I don't see pelvic pain...

Really? So, for a patient with back pain , just saw it’s pelvic CRPS and it may get covered? I’ve had to turn down 3 patients last week.
No--in that case you could potentially say CRPS of the back. I have not done this, but I have heard it has been done successfully.

No--in that case you could potentially say CRPS of the back. I have not done this, but I have heard it has been done successfully.

Wow. Feel like such an idiot using a diagnosis of crps of the low back. How is that even an icd10 code. Ugh. I wanna move to Canada.