Patients Grieving for Charlie Kirk: Implications for Pain

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve had several patients and staff that are devastated. It’s been a rough couple of weeks especially on the back of the white girl that got slashed to death on the Charlotte rail car. Video records him saying I got that white girl. Took bystanders 1 1/2 min to react. A truly sickening couple of weeks

Yet no riots in the streets or buildings being burned to the ground….
 
I think most people who are aware of Charlie and what he stood for are devastated, but this doesn't really come into play in the pain clinic.

Is your institution sending out a "thoughts and prayers" type patient communication? Most did for George Floyd, but now hospitals seem eerily quiet.
 
Is your institution sending out a "thoughts and prayers" type patient communication? Most did for George Floyd, but now hospitals seem eerily quiet.
There is already a more than lively discussion of this topic going on in the private forum. I don't think that a public forum iteration is really necessary, nor does it relate to pain medicine as pointed out above.
 
Here are some memorable quotes of Kirk

I can't stand the word empathy, actually. I think empathy is a made -up, new age term that — it does a lot of damage.

“I think it’s worth it. I think it’s worth to have a cost of, unfortunately, some gun deaths every single year so that we can have the Second Amendment to protect our other God-given rights
 
Is your institution sending out a "thoughts and prayers" type patient communication? Most did for George Floyd, but now hospitals seem eerily quiet.
How the eff would you know what hospitals across the country are saying?
 
How the eff would you know what hospitals across the country are saying?




 



No dice. A few crappy links do not prove your point. You are a provocateur. But you, unlike bill Reilly, Alex jones, rush limbaugh, and Charlie Kirk are doing it just for kicks. At least they ca$hed in.

This is how you use the internet to destroy things
 
No dice. A few crappy links do not prove your point. You are a provocateur. But you, unlike bill Reilly, Alex jones, rush limbaugh, and Charlie Kirk are doing it just for kicks. At least they ca$hed in.

This is how you use the internet to destroy things

Don't get defensive. Instead, read the handwriting on the wall.
 
i have zero patients express any emotions pertaining the tragedy.

yes we should tone it down.

like the right is doing, right?

after all, calling for "a war on democrats" is toning it down, saying "democrats own this" is toning it down, blaming it on "the radical left" without evidence is toning it down, screaming "you caused this" in congress is toning it down, saying "the left is the party of murder" in social media is toning it down, calling the left "terrorists" or "domestic terrorists" is toning it down....


right?
 
George Floyd and this death are not comparable.
One was about police and authority exerting power to once again marginalized community and killing while on duty with excessive force, bad policing

Here we have a lone wolf with likely mental health disorder
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG_6099.png
 
Here are some memorable quotes of Kirk

I can't stand the word empathy, actually. I think empathy is a made -up, new age term that — it does a lot of damage.

“I think it’s worth it. I think it’s worth to have a cost of, unfortunately, some gun deaths every single year so that we can have the Second Amendment to protect our other God-given rights
Why did you post this ****? Completely out of context and purposely misleading. Dick move

1757971684692.png
 
Hey just FYI that's not the real quote either.


He actually spoke on the differences multiple times. My quote was from a different situation when he was also speaking about empathy but expounded on what he thought was the difference bw them.

It’s gross to take snippets of quotes and sayings out of context to smear a guy who just got brutally asassinated in front of the world while trying to have intelligent discourse at supposedly the most tolerant institutions in our country. People need to have a little more decency
 
He actually spoke on the differences multiple times. My quote was from a different situation when he was also speaking about empathy but expounded on what he thought was the difference bw them.

It’s gross to take snippets of quotes and sayings out of context to smear a guy who just got brutally asassinated in front of the world while trying to have intelligent discourse at supposedly the most tolerant institutions in our country. People need to have a little more decency
So he basically said the same thing twice in different contexts? If so, seems reasonable to quote it.
 
Last edited:
Wow, it really is a leftist problem.

View attachment 409406
They surveyed 10,000 people online from what looks to be a site that pays you to answer questions. I don’t know if that’s the best methodology for sampling the average American but it does tell you something about the mindset of people who need the extra cash.
 
They surveyed 10,000 people online from what looks to be a site that pays you to answer questions. I don’t know if that’s the best methodology for sampling the average American but it does tell you something about the mindset of people who need the extra cash.
Anecdotally, I think it matches how my friends and family would answer.

But I do question whether polling people right after an assassination is gonna give the most accurate picture...
 
Anecdotally, I think it matches how my friends and family would answer.

But I do question whether polling people right after an assassination is gonna give the most accurate picture...
agree.

the article says that the results change based on who was most recently assassinated on some of the questions.

But YouGov has asked this question multiple times since 2022, and found some noticeable changes in opinion. For one thing, while Republicans are more likely than Democrats to say political violence is a very big problem in September 2025, in the wake of Kirk's shooting, the reverse has been true when YouGov has asked this question after attacks on Democratic political figures. How concerned Americans are about political violence is related to some degree to whether someone from their side or from the other side is the most recent to be attacked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you are.

there are good physician owners.

but there are also "good" hospital systems and good administrators out there too.

the broad spectrum paintbrush that all hospital systems are evil, without mentioning PE or bad physician owners, is disingenuous.
 
They surveyed 10,000 people online from what looks to be a site that pays you to answer questions. I don’t know if that’s the best methodology for sampling the average American but it does tell you something about the mindset of people who need the extra cash.
Could also be swayed by recency bias. If a left-wing political figure were assassinated the trend could be reversed
 
People come in upset after every major happening in this rather turbulent political arena thats been stirred up. People upset after this, as well as the Democrat couple that was also assassinated. Always after a presidential election. Other events, as we know, have also incited strong feelings, coming from both sides of the political fences. Meanwhile, my Job requirements remain the same so i have to keep on keeping on. Odd question to ask unless maybe there’s a “checkin” like this after every major event?
 
George Floyd and this death are not comparable.
One was about police and authority exerting power to once again marginalized community and killing while on duty with excessive force, bad policing

Here we have a lone wolf with likely mental health disorder
Did Floyd die of a drug overdose in part?
 
They surveyed 10,000 people online from what looks to be a site that pays you to answer questions. I don’t know if that’s the best methodology for sampling the average American but it does tell you something about the mindset of people who need the extra cash.
The protestors were busy on Reddit instead of cashing in on an easy protest?
 
no. absolutely not.

misinformation and lies.
Searching shows presence of significant amounts of fentanyl, and this….

“As was released earlier by the medical examiner's office, Floyd's cause of death is listed officially as "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." The full autopsy report states further that "no life-threatening injuries [were] identified."
 
Searching shows presence of significant amounts of fentanyl, and this….

“As was released earlier by the medical examiner's office, Floyd's cause of death is listed officially as "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." The full autopsy report states further that "no life-threatening injuries [were] identified."
I'm sure compressing the carotid artery/jugular would not cause any physical "injury," per se, but it is still deadly.

I've been choked unconscious numerous times and had no "injury" but if the choke were held for longer I could certainly die even if no structures in my neck were damaged.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before.

-Rahm Emanuel

Not a defense of what’s happening, but predictable. If traditional news outlets want to retain a shred of legitimacy, now is the time to act accordingly.

The internet outlets and decentralized information distribution precludes government control of media in the US from a practical standpoint, but it comes with the need to filter through a lot of BS and question sources.
 
I'm sure compressing the carotid artery/jugular would not cause any physical "injury," per se, but it is still deadly.

I've been choked unconscious numerous times and had no "injury" but if the choke were held for longer I could certainly die even if no structures in my neck were damaged

im missing where "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression" makes comments such as drug overdose.


thanks for correcting yourself.
I said “in part”. I’m sure the 11 ng/ml of fentanyl, amphetamines, cannabinoids, and other drugs in his system didn’t help his p02.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.