You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am considering driving from my current location to Detroit MI for 19 hours so I have my car for the month that I am there. Anyone tried this kind of drive before for an away? Just trying to save money :S
Why r u so cheap..don’t u have loan money?
5
588442
Not as much loan money being a canadian vs being from the US.Why r u so cheap..don’t u have loan money?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i did it. do it in two days. Not so bad. Use caffeine pills and pee breaks liberally
5
588442
1500 Karma points for relieving my anxiety haha. Yes I have heard from multiple people now that doing it in breaks is much better. I will put some ore thought into this. Thankfully, folks at my core hospital are very sweet, hopefully, they will let me out early enough. Thank you much.i did it. do it in two days. Not so bad. Use caffeine pills and pee breaks liberally
5
588442
Hey man, how many hours did you drive for, just curious.i did it. do it in two days. Not so bad. Use caffeine pills and pee breaks liberally
Driving is not bad! Just find a hotel that is along your route and stay there for the night. I would break it down into 9/10 hours a day. Enjoy the drive!
900 miles. 10 hours first day. 6 secondHey man, how many hours did you drive for, just curious.
1500 Karma points for relieving my anxiety haha. Yes I have heard from multiple people now that doing it in breaks is much better. I will put some ore thought into this. Thankfully, folks at my core hospital are very sweet, hopefully, they will let me out early enough. Thank you much.
If they're even a LITTLE nice, they'll let you out early if you mention that your next rotation is 19 hours away and you'll be driving. Be a little tactful and you may get the whole day off.
My attending this month told me not to come the last day because I have a shelf and she lets people do a half day their last shift anyways to get ready for the next.
There are doctors out there that still remember the suck of moving place to place and I'd be surprised if they shaft you on that. Good luck, OP! Find some good/unique places to eat on the way...that's my favorite part of road trips!
I am considering driving from my current location to Detroit MI for 19 hours so I have my car for the month that I am there. Anyone tried this kind of drive before for an away? Just trying to save money :S
1 19 hour driving day is really not that bad - I think you can do it in one long haul session with caffeine, podcasts, books on tape. I've done multiple 20 hour drives, although most have been with friends which helps a lot.
My dad was the crazy one - dude used to drive 40 hours home during medical school over winter and spring break with nothing but the radio to listen to.
1 19 hour driving day is really not that bad - I think you can do it in one long haul session with caffeine, podcasts, books on tape. I've done multiple 20 hour drives, although most have been with friends which helps a lot.
My dad was the crazy one - dude used to drive 40 hours home during medical school over winter and spring break with nothing but the radio to listen to.
I have never stayed up 40 hours in a row, and I don't plan on ever doing that. The most has been like 35. To drive for that long and not fall asleep is a skill on its own.
I have never stayed up 40 hours in a row, and I don't plan on ever doing that. The most has been like 35. To drive for that long and not fall asleep is a skill on its own.
He used to take one 2 hour roadside nap, but yeah - dude is pretty ****ing zen.
Dads have potential to be insane about that stuff for some reason. My friend's dad used to drive 3 hours each way to work and he would read novels and do crosswords on the way. No accidents in 20+ years.
Love a road trip! Seriously, if you are there for four weeks and you can park cheap/free, then do it. The convenience of a car in Detroit can be real. It is not a city that has focused on public transportation.
5
588442
Thanks much for all the advice, you all rock
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad