Driving for an away rotation - 19 hours to avoid rental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am considering driving from my current location to Detroit MI for 19 hours so I have my car for the month that I am there. Anyone tried this kind of drive before for an away? Just trying to save money :S

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering driving from my current location to Detroit MI for 19 hours so I have my car for the month that I am there. Anyone tried this kind of drive before for an away? Just trying to save money :S

Why r u so cheap..don’t u have loan money?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i did it. do it in two days. Not so bad. Use caffeine pills and pee breaks liberally

Reactions: 3 users
i did it. do it in two days. Not so bad. Use caffeine pills and pee breaks liberally
1500 Karma points for relieving my anxiety haha. Yes I have heard from multiple people now that doing it in breaks is much better. I will put some ore thought into this. Thankfully, folks at my core hospital are very sweet, hopefully, they will let me out early enough. Thank you much.

Driving is not bad! Just find a hotel that is along your route and stay there for the night. I would break it down into 9/10 hours a day. Enjoy the drive!

1500 Karma points for relieving my anxiety haha. Yes I have heard from multiple people now that doing it in breaks is much better. I will put some ore thought into this. Thankfully, folks at my core hospital are very sweet, hopefully, they will let me out early enough. Thank you much.

If they're even a LITTLE nice, they'll let you out early if you mention that your next rotation is 19 hours away and you'll be driving. Be a little tactful and you may get the whole day off.

My attending this month told me not to come the last day because I have a shelf and she lets people do a half day their last shift anyways to get ready for the next.

There are doctors out there that still remember the suck of moving place to place and I'd be surprised if they shaft you on that. Good luck, OP! Find some good/unique places to eat on the way...that's my favorite part of road trips!

1 19 hour driving day is really not that bad - I think you can do it in one long haul session with caffeine, podcasts, books on tape. I've done multiple 20 hour drives, although most have been with friends which helps a lot.

My dad was the crazy one - dude used to drive 40 hours home during medical school over winter and spring break with nothing but the radio to listen to.

Reactions: 1 user
1 19 hour driving day is really not that bad - I think you can do it in one long haul session with caffeine, podcasts, books on tape. I've done multiple 20 hour drives, although most have been with friends which helps a lot.

My dad was the crazy one - dude used to drive 40 hours home during medical school over winter and spring break with nothing but the radio to listen to.

I have never stayed up 40 hours in a row, and I don't plan on ever doing that. The most has been like 35. To drive for that long and not fall asleep is a skill on its own.

I have never stayed up 40 hours in a row, and I don't plan on ever doing that. The most has been like 35. To drive for that long and not fall asleep is a skill on its own.

He used to take one 2 hour roadside nap, but yeah - dude is pretty ****ing zen.

Dads have potential to be insane about that stuff for some reason. My friend's dad used to drive 3 hours each way to work and he would read novels and do crosswords on the way. No accidents in 20+ years.

Reactions: 2 users
Love a road trip! Seriously, if you are there for four weeks and you can park cheap/free, then do it. The convenience of a car in Detroit can be real. It is not a city that has focused on public transportation.

Did it for the away I’m currently on. Broke it into two days and it wasn’t bad at all.. it really is so nice to have my car. Don’t sweat it, not a bad drive.