Drop class for W or take a B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have physics, physics lab, and calculus 2. I also have two other easy humanities with it. The thing is that I have a B in math. Should I drop it and not take the risk. Or is it better to keep trying. If I assume the worst and end up with B'S for both physics and math, my GPA will be around 3.5 for this semester.

I already had 3.45 for freshman year so I'm trying hard to improve. Should I keep trying and risk a B? Or should I give up and take a W with a higher low-risk GPA? Is it better to save the W for other stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Finish with a B. W's hurt your AMCAS calculation.

Right? Lol. I could be very wrong.

B's aren't really bad or anything; I'd take it over a W any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
The general consensus on here and from many other people I've talked to is that you want to avoid a W at all costs. Definitely take a B over the W no matter what.

Take the B. A W will make it look like you gave up and you don't want medical schools to see you this way.

Sent from my R800x using SDN Mobile

It's just that because of my lowish GPA from Freshman year, I'm trying to make this up by getting as high as possible from now on.

and the thing about Calc is that it's a huge weeder class where the entire grade is based off of 3 exams....

If the lowest I can get is a 3.5 for the semester, then is it better to keep trying at it?
Would it be better to save the W for other classes down the road just in case?

I would take the B.

W's don't affect your AMCAS GPA calculation. However, adcoms will definitely be paying attention to them.

B's aren't really bad or anything; I'd take it over a W any day.
yeah a W is much worse in this situation. IMO you should only take a W if you are going to fail a class or get a D or maybe C-

So I shouldn't flip out over one more B?

I am trying to raise my GPA up from the 3.45 that I had last year.....

I think too many Bs are bad, and I've already got them in the Intro Bios and both of the Orgos from last year as well

This is why I'm trying to monitor it closely. The thing is that Calc 2 is only required for my major, I've already taken Calc 1.

For med school, I think I only need Calc 1+Statistics...

So would it hurt to take a W and put off a notoriously difficult class until Senior year?

So I shouldn't flip out over one more B?

I am trying to raise my GPA up from the 3.45 that I had last year.....

I think too many Bs are bad, and I've already got them in the Intro Bios and both of the Orgos from last year as well

This is why I'm trying to monitor it closely. The thing is that Calc 2 is only required for my major, I've already taken Calc 1.

For med school, I think I only need Calc 1+Statistics...

So would it hurt to take a W and put off a notoriously difficult class until Senior year?

One B isnt awesome...but a W is much, much worse.. Its about choosing the lesser of two evils.

1 W isn't a big deal, but if you drop every class ur gonna get a B in you will have alot of Ws lol.

What is the consensus about a C or a W?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Members don't see this ad :)
To OP, a B probably isn't worth the wasted tuition and I'm going to assume your GPA can definitely take it if you're worrying about needing to withdraw.

But to everyone else: Can someone tell me where the conception comes from that W is some kind of horrible scarlet letter? I don't understand what's so bad about it, or why adcoms would "count them as F's" or something. I understand 6 Ws probably sets a poor picture, but 1 or 2? Aren't there a bunch of other, legitimate reasons to get a W that aren't "I was failing?"

To OP, a B probably isn't worth the wasted tuition and I'm going to assume your GPA can definitely take it if you're worrying about needing to withdraw.

But to everyone else: Can someone tell me where the conception comes from that W is some kind of horrible scarlet letter? I don't understand what's so bad about it, or why adcoms would "count them as F's" or something. I understand 6 Ws probably sets a poor picture, but 1 or 2? Aren't there a bunch of other, legitimate reasons to get a W that aren't "I was failing?"

1 or 2 Ws don't matter, people in this thread are over-reacting.

I had to take a W for orgo 2 but when I got back to it I pulled off an A-. I think you just have to prove you can do the work and when adcoms ask about it just tell the truth. It's really no big deal. I would never take a W for a B though.

I currently have physics, physics lab, and calculus 2. I also have two other easy humanities with it. The thing is that I have a B in math. Should I drop it and not take the risk. Or is it better to keep trying. If I assume the worst and end up with B'S for both physics and math, my GPA will be around 3.5 for this semester.

I already had 3.45 for freshman year so I'm trying hard to improve. Should I keep trying and risk a B? Or should I give up and take a W with a higher low-risk GPA? Is it better to save the W for other stuff?

That's the first time I read that a W is better than a B...

OP, the general rule is: only take a W if you have a C- or lower.

seriously... getting a B is good... I mean sure it's not an A. Just keep it up and don't let your grades get to a C...

I scale it as:

A>B>C+>W>C>C-.....etc.

If you can get at least a C+, I wouldn't take the W.

The general consensus on here and from many other people I've talked to is that you want to avoid a W at all costs. Definitely take a B over the W no matter what.

Eh there was one guy on here who got in with 22 W's.

Eh there was one guy on here who got in with 22 W's.
looking at aamc data, there are people with 3.1 cGPA's and 21 MCAT scores that get in; there are always outliers. it's still smart to avoid W's and shoot for at least a 3.5+, 30+

But there is a point to this though...

This still counts in BCPM, so a B isn't exactly very good.
So what's the general consensus on Ws? Is it wise to take them for B-/C+ ish grades only?

I'm just in a dilemma because I can drop this, and still apply to med schools since most places only require 2 semesters of any type of math.

I could just retake this senior year or something as part of my major requirements

But there is a point to this though...

This still counts in BCPM, so a B isn't exactly very good.
So what's the general consensus on Ws? Is it wise to take them for B-/C+ ish grades only?

I'm just in a dilemma because I can drop this, and still apply to med schools since most places only require 2 semesters of any type of math.

I could just retake this senior year or something as part of my major requirements

I think the consensus is pretty clear: don't take a W to avoid another B.

I'd take it over a W any day.
a112.jpg

But Cs are GPA killers. Id rather have 1 or 2 Ws and have my GPA be .5 higher.

Yeah that! That's what I'm not getting here. Where are the rest of you all getting this rule that ADCOMs automatically look at W's and go "GASP, I BETTER INSERT A C- HERE AND RECALCULATE THEIR GPA"

Ugh prior to my acceptances I was kicking myself constantly for listening to such advice and sticking out a C instead of taking an easy W, having a better semester, and a higher BCMP.

But I think if you're not in danger of getting a B- or lower, it can be OK....

A B+ on BCPM is probably a lot better than a W, right?

Take the B over a W any day. Not worth having to explain the W.

Because it's better to save those "1 or 2 W's" on a real crisis, like you became horribly ill that semester and it was too late to drop the class without a W. You don't want to fail it.

These W's should be received sparingly. A B is not worth using it on.

If you don't have a good story to go with your W, don't take it. Period. They'll ask, and they'll know that you're lying when you make up a story about it.

But I think if you're not in danger of getting a B- or lower, it can be OK....

A B+ on BCPM is probably a lot better than a W, right?

Dude, why are you cynical of our advice? Only take a W if you have a C or lower. If you want to disregard our advice, go ahead. We're trying to help, so please stop asking redundant questions.

Explaining a "W" is not that bad. I have 2 W's and I've always just explained them as "I didn't work hard back then." Not a big deal if you redeem yourself later on and your app is pretty good as a whole.

OP if u rly want to take the W do it. Just know that if you actually need to take further Ws for other emergencies or when you are gonna get even lower grades, you will have already wasted that one W that doesn't really matter. Once you get to around 3 then things look bad unless u have very legit excuses.

I dropped a class because I couldn't get an A in the class(I was sitting at around B). I took a W instead, oh well lol.