Drop out or apply late??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missicyhot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to make a long story short, a professor I had been counting on for a LOR can no longer write one for me. Being a non trad who is 3 years out from a really large university it was hard enough to find 3 profs to write letters, let alone find another one with this little time.

My dilemma is, should I still scramble to find another letter writer even though it will probably put me very late in the season? I've got average numbers...3.5/29S, so i'm thinking my chances would be slim...or drop out and apply next year? Would adcoms frown on me dropping out at this point if I reapply next year as being someone who lacks commitment?

And would I still be considered a "reapplicant" if I drop out before completing secondaries?

It's a frustrating road! please help :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you would be a reapplicant, but it's probably worth doing so. I would take some more classes and retake the MCAT while you're at it and work on your ECs because you're going to have to show significant differences in the next application cycle.

So to make a long story short, a professor I had been counting on for a LOR can no longer write one for me. Being a non trad who is 3 years out from a really large university it was hard enough to find 3 profs to write letters, let alone find another one with this little time.

My dilemma is, should I still scramble to find another letter writer even though it will probably put me very late in the season? I've got average numbers...3.5/29S, so i'm thinking my chances would be slim...or drop out and apply next year? Would adcoms frown on me dropping out at this point if I reapply next year as being someone who lacks commitment?

And would I still be considered a "reapplicant" if I drop out before completing secondaries?

I too am a non trad applicant. Hell yeah I would apply this year. What is the worst that can happen?
Here is the way I see it: If you apply and get in, well, then you are in medical school. If you dont get in then you will be a reapplicant next year. If you dont apply at all this year then you know for a fact that you wont be getting in this year and will still be a reapplicant next year. I would apply...if you even get an interview but dont get in, well, write it up as experience for next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Contact your schools and explain. Have a good concise description of the prof's issue.
2) Ask if you can get an LOR from someone you know well now, professionally. A volunteer coordinator, your boss, someone like that.
3) Use an electronic program (interfolio is one, what's the other one?) to make that letter arrive fast, and not get lost in the piles of paper in the admissions offices.

I wouldn't wait to apply if You are ready to go. After all the work you have to do to apply, don't let one letter be the thing that sets you back.

Also, I'd be really irritated with that prof, if he's not on his deathbed. Seriously, how hard is it to write an LOR? It would take what, 15 minutes of his time? Could you send a bulleted list of what he knows about you, to make it easier and convince him to do it?

I am a non trad, been through the exact same route....should you apply now? HELL YEA!!! you're not late at all. as for the "missing letter" since you're a non trad, get your supervisor to write you one. then add an addendum to your application, a quick 1 paragraph letter on why you're doing that. if you don't, your app may be held up by the secretary without ever reaching the committee. I can't state that enough b/c it happened to me and by the time I realized it...it was too late for 2 schools and money down the crapper (yes they kept the check). so that's what I did....1 professor, 2 supervisors. 29/3.5...don't even think twice...apply, apply, apply. and apply broadly is the key here. you may not get to go where you want, but you should be able to at least swing some interviews, from there it's all personality... good luck :thumbup:

thanks for the input! i'm scrambling as much as i can for another letter writer but it's been difficult, as my school is in a different state.

I tried calling my state med school to see if a research letter or supervisor letter could be submitted in lieu of a professor letter but they were SHOCKINGLY uncompromising. Faculty who has taught you in a classroom setting only :(

does anybody have any tips for asking for a LOR from a prof you haven't seen in oh, 4-5 years? i would appreciate it thanks!!

thanks for the input! i'm scrambling as much as i can for another letter writer but it's been difficult, as my school is in a different state.

I tried calling my state med school to see if a research letter or supervisor letter could be submitted in lieu of a professor letter but they were SHOCKINGLY uncompromising. Faculty who has taught you in a classroom setting only :(

does anybody have any tips for asking for a LOR from a prof you haven't seen in oh, 4-5 years? i would appreciate it thanks!!

If you MUST get one from a former prof and you can't go in person, I'd call them and be up front. Explain your situation (how this is your dream and it's all hanging on one missing LOR), ask if you can send them your resume and supporting materials/transcript and how serious it is to your med school app that you get another LOR from a prof that taught you. It wouldn't hurt to throw in how much you enjoyed their class, or what you took away from it, etc.

For schools that you call that do allow you to use some other letter, I'd go ahead and see if you can get one from a supervisor or boss or clinical experience asap so that those other schools aren't waiting on a letter from the prof (that might take awhile).

Good luck - and I definitely think you should still continue with your applications this cycle. Give it your all and you'll have no regrets.

If you MUST get one from a former prof and you can't go in person, I'd call them and be up front. Explain your situation (how this is your dream and it's all hanging on one missing LOR), ask if you can send them your resume and supporting materials/transcript and how serious it is to your med school app that you get another LOR from a prof that taught you. It wouldn't hurt to throw in how much you enjoyed their class, or what you took away from it, etc.

For schools that you call that do allow you to use some other letter, I'd go ahead and see if you can get one from a supervisor or boss or clinical experience asap so that those other schools aren't waiting on a letter from the prof (that might take awhile).

Good luck - and I definitely think you should still continue with your applications this cycle. Give it your all and you'll have no regrets.

^^^yes.

this was exactly the advice i was about to give.

i finally got someone to agree to write it! but not until after mid september...my app might get tossed aside but at least i tried...Thanks for the support!!