drop Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a rough time with Introductory Physics this quarter. It's only the first class of the series (I'm on the quarter system), but I'm doing really poorly in it, even though I study a lot for it =( My professor told me that I might be able to pull of a C at best if I ace the final, but still...that's not very promising. So my question is, will it look really bad if I drop the course right now? Finals are next week, and the week dropped (10th in my case) will be noted. I know this is an introductory course, but I have so much trouble with it, and would like to retake it over the summer to really grasp the concepts so I can do better in the next couple courses. I feel really badly about dropping though...last quarter, I got a C- in General Chem II, and am retaking it now. I know this is probably a bad start, but I'm trying my best to really focus and get my act together. I'd like to higher my GPA, which currently stands at 3.3ish. Oh, and I'm a freshman btw, majoring in Anthropology. I'm kind of looking to go into either Medicine, Public Health, or both...don't know which, but am leaning a little more towards Public Health at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is rather a predicament. If you think you would do better with a second attempt, I would recommend dropping the class. It's better to have a W on your transcript, than a C or a D.

P.S. How do you have a 4.3? I thought 4.0 was the highest possible GPA...

I am having a rough time with Introductory Physics this quarter. It's only the first class of the series (I'm on the quarter system), but I'm doing really poorly in it, even though I study a lot for it =( My professor told me that I might be able to pull of a C at best if I ace the final, but still...that's not very promising. So my question is, will it look really bad if I drop the course right now? Finals are next week, and the week dropped (10th in my case) will be noted. I know this is an introductory course, but I have so much trouble with it, and would like to retake it over the summer to really grasp the concepts so I can do better in the next couple courses. I feel really badly about dropping though...last quarter, I got a C- in General Chem II, and am retaking it now. I know this is probably a bad start, but I'm trying my best to really focus and get my act together. I'd like to higher my GPA, which currently stands at 4.3ish. Oh, and I'm a freshman btw, majoring in Anthropology. I'm kind of looking to go into either Medicine, Public Health, or both...don't know which, but am leaning a little more towards Public Health at this point.
the withdrawl will look bad, but it's better than a D on your transcript
how are retaken classes handled? if your grade is completely replaced it might be better to just take the final (and try your best on it obviously)

yea and do you mean 3.3 ish?
Hmm, that is rather a predicament. If you think you would do better with a second attempt, I would recommend dropping the class. It's better to have a W on your transcript, than a C or a D.

P.S. How do you have a 4.3? I thought 4.0 was the highest possible GPA...
no some schools make A+ worth more than a 4.0
for example, at a columbia, an A+ is a 4.33 or so
but with a C- in a class already, i think the OP meant 3.3ish

Members don't see this ad :)
the withdrawl will look bad, but it's better than a D on your transcript
how are retaken classes handled? if your grade is completely replaced it might be better to just take the final (and try your best on it obviously)
wait, lemme clarify. i mean a D will really hurt your gpa whereas a W wont

The thing is, I can only have 3 retakes that will replace my grade, and I've used up one already, and I'm only a freshman. I can only have 3 drops total (this late in the quarter), but I figure I should use them now. So you guys think it's a better idea to drop?