Should I drop med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaytner

Reaction score
Hi
First time here so idk if Im out of place posting this thread here but I just needed a place to rant.

I’ve been pre med since freshmen of high school, and I was dead set on it, was sure I could pull it, etc. I’m a sophomore in college now; still pre-med track but very doubtful on my prospects.

I have 4.0 gpa rn, got sort of a full ride at my college (went out of state). But I’m broke and our college isnt very city/urbany so I don’t have a transportation here. Which means I did minimal volunteer/shadowing/research etc. I had couple on campus job, did study abroad with scholarship.
I’m at a point where I really need to get my stats out for applying, and the more I look at the stats of the applicants here the more I think I have no chance of getting into med schools; esp med schools I want.

I don’t want like.. harvard level med school but prestige matters to me.. I have a permanent residency now but I immigrated to US and in the future I also want to be able to work as a doctor in my home country and they care a LOT about prestige.

Not mention that my financial situation isn’t stellar, so i feel the pressure of getting a job asap after graduation. My family’s very supportive and my friends too but I keep thinking that they are only supportive bc they don’t know the realities for it.

I know I’m looking too much ahead but at the same time I’m the type of person that has to be fully, fully prepared b/4 dipping my anything into it.

I think it’s probs just my burnout or depressive phase rn; not particularly looking for advice or anything but I’m just venting. This semester has been my med school crisis phase; hasn’t even been productive. Gosh.

Rn I’m thinking about double majoring in biochem-ish major for a better job security in case I don't get into med school. + even a career switch.. maybe in pharmaceuticals; I think I would be interested in developing psychiatric medicine.

Anyways. Have a good day yall.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you need to plan on a gap year (or two) after graduation.

Your number one job as a premed is to protect your GPA, which you have done. Of course it's great if you can also find time to volunteer, but that is much easier to get after graduation.

Reactions: 5 users
Let's break it down.

1. Your GPA is excellent and you are well on your way in that regard.
2. You are positioning yourself to get some research experience this summer perhaps? Talk now with faculty you know and look into summer programs which your pre-med office may know of.
3. You've had a campus job or two which shows us that you can take responsibility and follow through, maybe even work as part of a team. That is great and should go on your application.
4. Have you had any shadowing experiences? Could you set something up over the holiday break or set it up now for spring break or next summer?
5. Are there any programs within the town where your school is located that might provide you with an opportunity to serve those in need? Any nursing homes or group homes or anything like that? Do you affiliate with a faith community at your school? If so, a religious leader may be able to help you identify service opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you need to plan on a gap year (or two) after graduation.

Your number one job as a premed is to protect your GPA, which you have done. Of course it's great if you can also find time to volunteer, but that is much easier to get after graduation.
I’m looking to graduate December of 2024 or Spring of 2025 (with double major in this case) and probs will take a year off before applying like you said.

Thanks! Didn’t rly expect anybody to reply to this.

Let's break it down.

1. Your GPA is excellent and you are well on your way in that regard.
2. You are positioning yourself to get some research experience this summer perhaps? Talk now with faculty you know and look into summer programs which your pre-med office may know of.
3. You've had a campus job or two which shows us that you can take responsibility and follow through, maybe even work as part of a team. That is great and should go on your application.
4. Have you had any shadowing experiences? Could you set something up over the holiday break or set it up now for spring break or next summer?
5. Are there any programs within the town where your school is located that might provide you with an opportunity to serve those in need? Any nursing homes or group homes or anything like that? Do you affiliate with a faith community at your school? If so, a religious leader may be able to help you identify service opportunities.

I’m looking into research assistant opportunities for next or next next semester: there’s a program at our school that allows students to take a “course” in a medical school attached to our college which involves clinical and research experience but i heard it’s very competitive.

Last summer I was in my home country and I shadowed dentists in dental hospitals (that’s the only thing I could find & I know outside of country shadowing doesn't really count…) but honestly really enjoyed the setting, had lots of fun. Ig it’s better than nothing.

I did join a grant writing school organization for a semester and was a grant writer. I think the club counted this as volunteer hours; we weren’t paid and it was the only volunteering I could find that accommodated my situation. Planning to do more volunteering if I could get a car in next sem.. I saved some money for it.

Thank you so much :) i genuinely feel a lot better after ranting & getting comments like this.

Reactions: 1 users
I have 4.0 gpa rn, got sort of a full ride at my college (went out of state). But I’m broke and our college isnt very city/urbany so I don’t have a transportation here. Which means I did minimal volunteer/shadowing/research etc. I had couple on campus job, did study abroad with scholarship.
I’m at a point where I really need to get my stats out for applying, and the more I look at the stats of the applicants here the more I think I have no chance of getting into med schools; esp med schools I want.

Not mention that my financial situation isn’t stellar, so i feel the pressure of getting a job asap after graduation. My family’s very supportive and my friends too but I keep thinking that they are only supportive bc they don’t know the realities for it.
You're doing great now. You couldn't possibly be doing better. You don't need to apply to med school right away. Like @GoSpursGo said, take a couple (or more if needed) of gap years. You cannot possibly have a good reason to rush.

Do not compare yourself to other SDN'ers. That's the worst thing you could do; it'll immediately damage your mental health.

You can get a full time clinical job after graduation in a more urban area, where volunteering opportunities are more plentiful. Or get a full time research job (need not be fancy like in a Nobel prize lab and don't worry about pubs); this should allow you time to volunteer clinically and non-clinically. Don't take your MCAT right away, in case the scores expire; remember you're not in a rush!

Enjoy college now too. You only do it once.

Reactions: 5 users
Most of my classmates are at least 26 or so if it makes you feel any better. Some are in their 40s.

Reactions: 2 users