Dropped from SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Htotheizzle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!
Long story short: I only got accepted to SGU so I went. At the end of term 2 I got a 68.25 in neuroscience and the requirement was a 70. They kicked me out and denied my appeal. I'm non-traditional (31 yr old, female, accounting major). I'm not sure if I should apply to other Caribbean schools or go a different route. All I know is that I have almost 80 grand in debt from 1 year of school. My back up plan is PA school maybe with the military if they will assist in the debt. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We need more information (MCAT, GPA).

Wouldn't recommend you going for another Caribbean school though, because you'll be >300K in debt without a residency, which will be way worse.
Ask yourself, even if you get into another medical school, do you have what it takes to do well in your classes and the board exams. What would you do differently to prevent yourself from failing another class in the future? It doesn't get any easier.

Reactions: 6 users
SGU is one of the better Caribbean schools. I would recommend looking at other career options. You blew your one shot at MD since getting a residency in the US is becoming increasing hard. Sorry but sometimes the truth hurts.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry that this happened to you. There is really no nice way to say what comes next. You failed out of medical school. You will not become a physician.

What you choose to do from here on out is up to you. You have an accounting degree to fall back on. If you want a healthcare job, consider becoming a nurse, EMT, paramedic, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I would not pursue MD/DO. You can probably do PA just not the top programs. Also consider NP which is the easiest route.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello, all!
Long story short: I only got accepted to SGU so I went. At the end of term 2 I got a 68.25 in neuroscience and the requirement was a 70. They kicked me out and denied my appeal. I'm non-traditional (31 yr old, female, accounting major). I'm not sure if I should apply to other Caribbean schools or go a different route. All I know is that I have almost 80 grand in debt from 1 year of school. My back up plan is PA school maybe with the military if they will assist in the debt. Any advice?

Oh god that's so much money. Sorry to hear that, hope things work out

Reactions: 7 users
Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, failing out of one school likely means that residencies will not consider your application very highly should you apply to another school and make it through.

Going the PA/RN route seems much safer at this point (if you still want to pursue a career in the medical field.)

I agree with the majority here: it's time to forget about MD/DO and look at backup options.

Reactions: 4 users
Hard as it is, take it as an omen that you were meant to have a life. If you still want to be in healthcare, go for the RN or PA.

I'd look into nursing if you're still insistent on healthcare. It's a relatively short period before you're working and the pay isn't bad (and can eventually be pretty great compared to the national average). Given your debt and age I'd say it's a good option to get out of debt in a reasonable amount of time and still treat patients.

Reactions: 2 users
Go with PA/NP. Being a physician is overrated.

On the bright side, you have an accounting degree. Cut your losses and pursue your CPA. It's a decent financially stable career.
If you must do health, i agree with the above posters. Try your luck with PA/NP.

Reactions: 1 users
Based off your pic, medical sales rep..........

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stories like this really makes a nightmare into reality.

Stripper. They can make $500-2500/night depending on location.

if that is an actual pic of you, might I suggest you change your avatar to protect your anonymity?

Reactions: 6 users
Ouch. Best of luck to ya.

if that is an actual pic of you, might I suggest you change your avatar to protect your anonymity?
A lot of people sign up using the link to FB function, which unfortunately defaults their avatar to their profile pic. I wondered why so many people were popping up with photos for avatars, turns out that's why.

A lot of people sign up using the link to FB function, which unfortunately defaults their avatar to their profile pic. I wondered why so many people were popping up with photos for avatars, turns out that's why.

That's why if someplace has an option to login with Facebook, I always choose the other option...

Reactions: 14 users
lol not much better

that would suggest her FB profile pic is of her in a bikini on a boat.....

never too early to start thinking about social media presence

Sorry to hear this, but you are the very example of their business model. Take weak applicants, and fail 50% of them.

Your medical career is over. Time for Plan B

And don't think that it will be somehow "easier": to get into a DO program. You'd be DOA at mine.

Hello, all!

Reactions: 8 users
Hello, all!
Do whatever you can to retake your MCAT, raise GPA and whatever else possible to apply US MD/DO. Do you speak Spanish? Look into Puerto Rican LCME med schools. You can still do it!

Do whatever you can to retake your MCAT, raise GPA and whatever else possible to apply US MD/DO. Do you speak Spanish? Look into Puerto Rican LCME med schools. You can still do it!

The beauty in this post is that if the same exact words had been typed by a medical student or resident, the meaning would be entirely different from that intended by you.

The advice in this thread is rock solid (except for the random "You can do it!" bro). From my perspective, you're actually better off than a lot of Carib students that fail out - most of them are in their mid 20s with a 4-year degree they can't really get a job with. It may not be your passion or whatever, but you have a marketable degree that will get you a job and put food on the table. You're better off for it. I'd strongly consider just doing accounting. There's this trend nowadays to find this perfect job that is both fulfilling and pays well, and people often end up passing up great careers searching for this idealistic job.

If you're dead set on healthcare, EMT or RN are options. Your PA +/- military backup is a great idea if it'll work. Problem is PA schools are increasing in competitiveness. We don't have your stats, but if you applied broadly including a number of DO schools and were only accepted to SGU, there's a chance PA schools may be out of your reach. But that's probably the next place I'd look; it's certainly worth applying. I almost never advise people to go the NP route because I just think their knowledge base is lacking, especially given the number of NP factory mills that have popped up.

Your tagline says "pre-optometry," which I can't comment on because I know very little about the entry/competitiveness of those schools, but it's a great idea to explore these alternate healthcare fields and see what's available.

Lolwutmate.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
100% go into the NP route. NP's can go into any field they want nowadays. UPENN has NP's in Radiation oncology, cardiology, gastroenterology etc... There are dermatology NP's. None of the restrictions and competition that MD's have to go through. You pick what speciality you like, you go for it, and wait until NP's gain autonomous practice and you can become a dermatology NP with your own practice.

100% go into the NP route. NP's can go into any field they want nowadays. UPENN has NP's in Radiation oncology, cardiology, gastroenterology etc... There are dermatology NP's. None of the restrictions and competition that MD's have to go through. You pick what speciality you like, you go for it, and wait until NP's gain autonomous practice and you can become a dermatology NP with your own practice.
Untill you screw up and hopefully get the pants sued off you.

MD/DO will not want you, having failed out of Caribbean. It's sad but true.

Do not listen to that guy who rah-rahs about getting the gpa up and having another go. You're essentially done with the physician route. Best of luck in future endeavors

Do the NP, open up a specialty hospital (illegal for MDs) and watch the millions roll in as the MDs slave away for your dividends.

This is not good advice.

lol not much better

that would suggest her FB profile pic is of her in a bikini on a boat.....

never too early to start thinking about social media presence

It is my FB pic and I always deactivate my account when I'm going through any application process. I also use a nick name and set everything to private when I use FB. Now that I'm back to applying I'll clean it all up in case they get access somehow!! Thanks for reminding me!

I wish I spoke Spanish! I looked into the Puerto Rico schools back when I was applying! I think at my age I'm going to go to plan B. I dont want to be 40 when I get out of residency. I appreciate your positivity!

I wish I spoke Spanish! I looked into the Puerto Rico schools back when I was applying! I think at my age I'm going to go to plan B. I dont want to be 40 when I get out of residency. I appreciate your positivity!

It's not positivity, it's delusion

• Dislike
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I will look into my options other than medical school! There are lots of positives in my situation. The only negative to me is the debt. I can't wait to see what the next chapter of my life will be! Best of luck to everyone on here!! ❤️

Reactions: 15 users
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I will look into my options other than medical school! There are lots of positives in my situation. The only negative to me is the debt. I can't wait to see what the next chapter of my life will be! Best of luck to everyone on here!! ❤️

Midlevel providers will be the future of most clinical fields. You also don't have to deal with much of the BS physicians have to deal with and actually will get to have a life and possibly enjoy seeing patients and practicing medicine. I honestly believe that is the best way to go. I wish you luck.

Dang girl, you single? You want uggz and ipad bby?

how most of y'all are looking on this thread
water.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Your plan B is the better option and I wish you the best of luck. It's also an excellent plan B when taking into account the cost difference and, like you said, not wanting to be 7+ years deeper before you even get to be in practice

You seem willing to consider the PA route. It is certainly a fantastic job with a lot of opportunities and great for a non-trad like yourself to get into the field faster. Sounds like you should look into that if you still really want to be in the medical field.

Hello, all!

You should have went to a DO school, from what I know many SGU students have stats similar to DO students, unlike SGU, DO schools do not overflow with students, most of them try to keep their students. From what I know, your chances of becoming a doctor are not good even if you go to another foreign school.

That being said, the fact that you were dismissed from a foreign school, it is highly unlikely you would get into a DO school.

Best advice is the PA or Nursing school route, probably wind up earning the same as a primary care physician.

Last edited:
1st, if that is ur profile pic, wow. I hope to look that good when I turn 31.

2nd, many peeps are gonna tell u it's over. Have you thought about alternative health careers where u are still a doc, just not an MD? Optometrist, pharmacists, dental, all spring to mind. All usually break the 100k mark, and u can just write off ur tuition as a personal stupid tax. I've had to pay plenty of personal stupid tax in my life

OD, pharmD, and DDS are all 4 year degrees. You will be at the earliest 35 when you get out, prolly closer to 36,37. Not horrible, although, the PA route might be better. Not too familiar with PA earnings

Whatever happens, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited: