Dropped from SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do whatever you can to retake your MCAT, raise GPA and whatever else possible to apply US MD/DO. Do you speak Spanish? Look into Puerto Rican LCME med schools. You can still do it!
Seriously!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should have went to a DO school, from what I know many SGU students have stats similar to DO students, unlike SGU, DO schools do not overflow with students, most of them try to keep their students. From what I know, your chances of becoming a doctor are not good even if you go to another foreign school.

That being said, the fact that you were dismissed from a foreign school, it is highly unlikely you would get into a DO school.

Best advice is the PA or Nursing school route, probably wind up earning the same as a primary care physician.
Things are so grim right now so they start accepting students with 18 MCAT. It's not easy for them to get good applicants since people know that they have a shot at DO with 25+ MCAT, and have an almost guaranteed chance to become at least a PCP with a DO acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
The power of positivity. I hope no one on here will be screwing up and getting sued!
It will happen, esp if your education is sub par. Butterflies and positivity won't change the fact that you don't know enough to keep patients safe.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to be a negative nancy, but I see people recommending you try all these different programs, PA, NP, DDS, etc. I just wanna say getting into some of these programs are not easy either. If you were only accepted to SGU for med school, you may have similar difficulty applying to these other programs. Getting accepted to a PA program is just as hard if not harder than getting into a US Allopathic program. There are fewer PA schools, smaller class sizes, and a ton of applicants. I would hate to see you waste your money applying to that. To be a nurse practitioner you have you need to first get a bachelor of nursing degree. Most programs are 3-4 years, but there are some accelerated programs where you can do it in about 1yr-18 months, but it is BRUTAL, I am talking classes and clinical rotations 6 days of the week from Sun rise to Sun set and beyond. After that, then you need to apply to a nurse practioner program (again, not a sure thing), most of those want you to have a few years nursing experience first, so there's that to consider, and then its 2-3 years to complete that program. just a few nuggets to consider...

1st, if that is ur profile pic, wow. I hope to look that good when I turn 31.

2nd, many peeps are gonna tell u it's over. How you thought about alternative health careers where u are still a doc, just not an MD? Optometrist, pharmacists, dental, all spring to mind. All usually break the 100k mark, and u can just write off ur tuition as a personal stupid tax. I've had to pay plenty of personal stupid tax in my life

OD, pharmD, and DDS are all 4 year degrees. You will be at the earliest 35 when you get out, prolly closer to 36,37. Not horrible, although, the PA route might be better. Not too familiar with PA earnings

Whatever happens, good luck and let us know how it goes.

I am looking into other programs as well just to know my options. Thanks for the kind and encouraging words!

why do carib schools have to run this kinda flunk out programs?

Reactions: 2 users
dolla_dolla_bill_yall-176393.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Not to be a negative nancy, but I see people recommending you try all these different programs, PA, NP, DDS, etc. I just wanna say getting into some of these programs are not easy either. If you were only accepted to SGU for med school, you may have similar difficulty applying to these other programs. Getting accepted to a PA program is just as hard if not harder than getting into a US Allopathic program. There are fewer PA schools, smaller class sizes, and a ton of applicants. I would hate to see you waste your money applying to that. To be a nurse practitioner you have you need to first get a bachelor of nursing degree. Most programs are 3-4 years, but there are some accelerated programs where you can do it in about 1yr-18 months, but it is BRUTAL, I am talking classes and clinical rotations 6 days of the week from Sun rise to Sun set and beyond. After that, then you need to apply to a nurse practioner program (again, not a sure thing), most of those want you to have a few years nursing experience first, so there's that to consider, and then its 2-3 years to complete that program. just a few nuggets to consider...
It's not difficult for most people to become NP... it's ridiculous how low the standard to become a NP is.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, one real profile pic of a woman on a boat and a bunch of the comments turn into online catcalling. Keeping it classy, SDN.

...yeah, yeah, I know...you're not srs so it doesn't count :rolleyes:

Sent from my phone, I apologize for any typos or brevity.

Reactions: 14 users
Yeah, those 1 yr nursing BSN programs are hectic, but after looking at a friend's curriculum, its no busier than say 3rd year of med school. I think it's a very realistic option, and there are a ton of NP programs. You might have to work for a year as a nurse in between, but you'll be getting paid. All in all, not nearly as big of a time and money commitment as med school or anything else, plus you'll make good money after its all said and done. $80k debt is a lot, but I know plenty of people who have that kind of debt from just undergrad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, those 1 yr nursing BSN programs are hectic, but after looking at a friend's curriculum, its no busier than say 3rd year of med school. I think it's a very realistic option, and there are a ton of NP programs. You might have to work for a year as a nurse in between, but you'll be getting paid. All in all, not nearly as big of a time and money commitment as med school or anything else, plus you'll make good money after its all said and done. $80k debt is a lot, but I know plenty of people who have that kind of debt from just undergrad.

Accelerated bsn programs don't come close to medical school. They barely compare to my college years.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, one real profile pic of a woman on a boat and a bunch of the comments turn into online catcalling. Keeping it classy, SDN.

Seriously. This entire thread makes me sick.

Seriously. This entire thread makes me sick.

how most of y'all are looking on this thread
View attachment 205235

Lotta desperate folks in these waters

ada.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Hello, all!
Long story short: I only got accepted to SGU so I went. At the end of term 2 I got a 68.25 in neuroscience and the requirement was a 70. They kicked me out and denied my appeal. I'm non-traditional (31 yr old, female, accounting major). I'm not sure if I should apply to other Caribbean schools or go a different route. All I know is that I have almost 80 grand in debt from 1 year of school. My back up plan is PA school maybe with the military if they will assist in the debt. Any advice?
If all of these responses are putting you in a bad place mentally, be sure to reach out to a friend or a professional to help you through this period in your life. http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/find-affiliate

I cannot speak on the competitiveness of nursing/NP, but PA school is probably out of reach after failing out of medical school. PA programs do NOT like being considered "plan B" and they certainly don't want the reputation of being the catch-all for students who fail out of med school altogether. A blatant failed attempt at medical school would be very difficult to overcome on a PA app.

This is probably one of the most supportive SDN threads. And, the OP seems to be mature enough and handling her situation well...

Seeking help is never a bad idea, though.

Well surely as a resident you know that you can't diagnose someone over the internet. She was told her dream was over very bluntly and to become a stripper. I know it was a joke, I just thought it couldn't hurt to reach out on the off chance that behind the keyboard she was very upset.

i have a different take on your situation.
and i'll try my best to give you what i think is BEST for you
So, let's take a few steps back.
why did you want to be a doctor in the first place? be honest about it.
is your heart and mind in the right place or you're just doing THIS for something/someone else?

Do you enjoy seeing patients? and taking care of them?
Because there are other pathways, like an MA,LVN, RN, APRN etc.

But if you're 100% committed to get that MD,
then you'll have to consider getting the title as an IMG ( International Medical Graduate)
Med schools in Mexico or South America, yup guys i'm suggesting it, is an option

But know that you'll have a very uphill battle as you apply for residency position here in the US.
you will lose the US clinical rotation that you would have gotten at Harvard....of the Carribean.
if i remember the numbers during my match, not so long ago.

We ( US seniors) have a matching rate of 97%
US IMG ( Carribean schools) have a matching rate of 53%
IMG ( Mexico, Cuba, India, Philippines etc) have a matching rate of 50%

So going back to the question, why do you want to be an MD?
if this is truly that important to you, then i will go for it even if it means i have to be a doctor outside the US
because i'm facing a very real scenario that i may not get a residency position at all.

BUT if you just want to earn MORE money or have some job security.
then it's a wake up call. time for a career change.

SGU just pocketed OP's tuition while spending very little on her. From the school's point of view, first and second year students are profit centers while third and fourth year students are potential revenue sinks, yet without graduates the business model collapses.

Well this thread has been entertaining so far - keep it going guys lol

Well surely as a resident you know that you can't diagnose someone over the internet. She was told her dream was over very bluntly and to become a stripper. I know it was a joke, I just thought it couldn't hurt to reach out on the off chance that behind the keyboard she was very upset.

Thank you for taking the time to think about my mental well being. Thankfully, I have very tough skin and a good support network. :)

i have a different take on your situation.
and i'll try my best to give you what i think is BEST for you
So, let's take a few steps back.
why did you want to be a doctor in the first place? be honest about it.
is your heart and mind in the right place or you're just doing THIS for something/someone else?

Do you enjoy seeing patients? and taking care of them?
Because there are other pathways, like an MA,LVN, RN, APRN etc.

But if you're 100% committed to get that MD,
then you'll have to consider getting the title as an IMG ( International Medical Graduate)
Med schools in Mexico or South America, yup guys i'm suggesting it, is an option

But know that you'll have a very uphill battle as you apply for residency position here in the US.
you will lose the US clinical rotation that you would have gotten at Harvard....of the Carribean.
if i remember the numbers during my match, not so long ago.

We ( US seniors) have a matching rate of 97%
US IMG ( Carribean schools) have a matching rate of 53%
IMG ( Mexico, Cuba, India, Philippines etc) have a matching rate of 50%

So going back to the question, why do you want to be an MD?
if this is truly that important to you, then i will go for it even if it means i have to be a doctor outside the US
because i'm facing a very real scenario that i may not get a residency position at all.

BUT if you just want to earn MORE money or have some job security.
then it's a wake up call. time for a career change.

I know I don't want the MD title bad enough to go to Mexico or South America! :) I was working accounting in the medical field and can't really remember what possessed me to go to medical school. I think the 2 professions I respect the most are military And physicians. I wanted to be apart of one of them. I didn't cut it in med school. I planned on going military as a dr. Perhaps I can get into some of the other medical options for the military.
I'm just glad I'm not a student who's parents want me to be a dr or who grew up dreaming of being a dr. I couldn't imagine having that pressure along with the stress of med school.

SGU just pocketed OP's tuition while spending very little on her. From the school's point of view, first and second year students are profit centers while third and fourth year students are potential revenue sinks, yet without graduates the business model collapses.

The guy who started SGU dropped out of med school and made so much money! I'm not even that mad because it really is genius. People like me who don't get into US schools are stoked to just get an acceptance somewhere. The government gives us enough loan money to pay the high tuition. They let in almost 1000 people every semester and then you see that there's only about 400 people finishing 2nd year. They are making tons of money!

I left SGU in Term 1, I began in august so I may have been in your class. You can apply to irish schools, Royal college of surgeons in ireland is something for you to look at. They take applications through a third party called "atlantic bridge". irish medical schools are excellent and they are actual schools and not just a bunch of degree mills.

You could apply to podiatry if youre interested.

I think PA school or np isnt a bad option. Its a pretty low stress way to making 100K a year. Gl OP. Im sure youll be fine. SGU is a ****show right now, dont blame yourself

This is probably one of the most supportive SDN threads.

Supportive but also unrealistic. You're a resident, you talk with PAs. PA school these days is not a Plan B especially for someone that fails out of a Carib school. I met 1 PA that did med school and then PA. He left med school in very good standing with A's/B's and still ended up at a low tier PA school (although I think that he may have picked the school due to low tuition).

The PA schools in my area have average GPAs around 3.7 and are honestly just as competitive to get into as my local DO school. PAs can easily make 120k+/yr working 3 days a week doing work that is very interesting. If if was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Supportive but also unrealistic. You're a resident, you talk with PAs. PA school these days is not a Plan B especially for someone that fails out of a Carib school. I met 1 PA that did med school and then PA. He left med school in very good standing with A's/B's and still ended up at a low tier PA school (although I think that he may have picked the school due to low tuition).

The PA schools in my area have average GPAs around 3.7 and are honestly just as competitive to get into as my local DO school. PAs can easily make 120k+/yr working 3 days a week doing work that is very interesting. If if was that easy everyone would be doing it.

My mention of this being a supportive thread was in response to the person who said "If all of these responses are putting you in a bad place mentally." My point was that of all "I dropped out" threads, this has a very positive tone.

Unfortunately, in these situations, supportive often means idealistic rather than realistic. The more realistic responses tend to be viewed as negative and unsupportive.

You are correct, and I am actually more familiar with the PA application process than you think.

I never said internet therapy was adequate. My response was an observation on the tone of this thread relative to most other SDN threads of similar content. I also never said that every response was supportive or positive. I also never said that every supportive response is realistic. But the OP nonetheless seems to be handling all this very well, and is truly trying to make a decision about how to best move on, unlike most others that come to SDN only interested in hearing about how to salvage their medical career when there is little to no hope.

I know I don't want the MD title bad enough to go to Mexico or South America! :) I was working accounting in the medical field and can't really remember what possessed me to go to medical school. I think the 2 professions I respect the most are military And physicians. I wanted to be apart of one of them. I didn't cut it in med school. I planned on going military as a dr. Perhaps I can get into some of the other medical options for the military.
I'm just glad I'm not a student who's parents want me to be a dr or who grew up dreaming of being a dr. I couldn't imagine having that pressure along with the stress of med school.

You can still be a paramedic/nurse/other healthcare profession and join the army/navy/airforce/marines/national guard.

based on your response, i guess you didn't want it as bad as most people do.
When i applied for med school not so long ago, i was hoping to get into a school in the same state to save money and be close to home.
plan B was schools all over the US which included Hawaii, believe it or not
i never really considered the DO route, however i was very open to a carribean school.

And even after being accepted to med school, i always second guess myself if i deserve to be there.
That was my motivation to do better.

Do not apply to dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I thought about it because my dentist is closed Friday-Sunday (dream schedule) Then I remembered that I just failed out of med school (wont get accepted) and that I don't want to be a dentist.

Ponzi scheme!!!!

I thought about it because my dentist is closed Friday-Sunday (dream schedule) Then I remembered that I just failed out of med school (wont get accepted) and that I don't want to be a dentist.

Lol, most of us arent so lucky. I've worked six days a week since I finished residency.

Nah chill, I need those shoes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Depending on the career someone choses, they could work several less hours once completing residency. My family has a neurologist and an opthamologist, both only work from 7:30 AM to 1:00 PM around 4 days a week. They receive a comfortable salary and enjoy the rest of the day.

...I dont want to be 40 when I get out of residency. I appreciate your positivity!
Just an aside, but if you are already 31, even in the best of circumstances you would have been at a minimum of 37-38 when you got out of residency, and since offshore people often lose a year somewhere along the way, more likely something like 38-39. And that's assuming the shortest residency. So saying you don't want to start your career at 40 is kind of silly -- that's actually almost been your plan up to now.

At any rate I agree with everyone who said its time to come up with a plan B. Offshore school grads have it rough in the match and having failed out of one of those you'd be even further down the pecking order, and even if you found a place to complete your training, you'd be destined to multiple research years at the end just to hopefully worm your way into a dead end prelim. High stakes and awful odds.

Reactions: 4 users