Dropped out and now want to go back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popliteal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited for privacy even though the subject can be guessed from the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you're going to have some explaining to do. Somehow you're going to have to convince the admissions committee that you really know this time that you're absolutely sure that medicine is what you want to do with the rest of your life and that you're not going to change your mind. On the up side, there was a second year at my school, Tufts, that went to pharmacy school, dropped out, went to medical school, dropped out, and then went back to a different medical school. So it's not impossible. Lesson: apply to Tufts.

I have not talked to my former school yet. In hindsight, I should have been more open with my decision to withdraw. The dean was incredibly nice and so I might just have to call him to stay on good terms. The problem is that I know medicine is what I want to do for the rest of my life, it's just that I could not ignore my life outside medical school. So I guess the problem is talking about without really talking about it since it is such a taboo subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
why didn't you file for another extended leave of absence? most schools will accomodate extenuating circumstances readily, especially if it has something to do with family matters. i would talk to your former med school and see if they have anything for you.

why didn't you file for another extended leave of absence? most schools will accomodate extenuating circumstances readily, especially if it has something to do with family matters. i would talk to your former med school and see if they have anything for you.

Yep, I should have filed another leave. I was just told that I had a year, but looking back they probably would have done something about it had I asked. They're not as heartless as I thought they would be back when I was a pre-med.

You should definitely talk to your old school. Probably the easiest path to take. If they won't help, then I'd start to look into reapplying.

You don't need to be specific about your mom's illness. Just say she had medical problems and you needed to help out. No one needs to know specifics. Unless, of course, you end up having to write a PS and want to use those experiences for your statement. Wouldn't advise this though and sounds like you wouldn't want to do that anyway.

I don't think your situation shows a lack of committment to medicine.

I don't think your situation shows a lack of committment to medicine.

I'm going to have to agree with that. While a commitment is necessary, all you have done is shown that you value your family's well-being above your schooling. From the adcoms I have talked to and know, that probably isn't a bad thing. Many if not all of them have families of their own. And put into the same position, I promise you that very few of them would have made a different choice. It's just being able to adequately explain that choice that I see being the only problem for you. Best of luck.

No matter what any of us think about your decision, you really need to get back in touch with the medical school you dropped out of and find out where you stand with them. Whether they will reconsider taking you back or not, and whether they would support or block your attempts to reapply and gain matriculation elsewhere, you really need to go see these folks - not an email, not a letter, but an in-person visit - and plead your case.

Also - just curious - since dropping out of medical school, have you done any additional volunteering or shadowing, etc.? What exactly have you been doing for the last 2+ years? Because I think you have a harder sell on your hands than others here seem to believe...what, exactly, has led you to conclude that you want to return to medicine? It better be something more substantial than "well my mom is well now" because that begs the question of what will this applicant do the next time his mom or some other family member gets sick...

No matter what any of us think about your decision, you really need to get back in touch with the medical school you dropped out of and find out where you stand with them. Whether they will reconsider taking you back or not, and whether they would support or block your attempts to reapply and gain matriculation elsewhere, you really need to go see these folks - not an email, not a letter, but an in-person visit - and plead your case.

Agree with this -- you need to sit down with the dean. If your story is compelling your school may be willing to work with you to get you back on track. Other schools may be less willing to touch you if the school you dropped out of won't.

Another vote for talking to your dean. As is, you had terrible stuff happen to you, which is a completely different situation from partying too much and not passing courses. If your dean is as nice a person as you've written, then they'll be understanding. I have no idea about the mechanics of your situation - they may be able to just readmit you and get you into second year, or you may need to remediate.

At this point, don't re-apply until you know that you've exhausted your options with your old school.

You should definitely talk to your dean. But I think you have a pretty strong case for at least being readmitted. You were doing well academically before you left school, and the only realson you left was to take time out to help out your own mother.