dropped out of podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mrconfused

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How easy is it for a person who has failed or dropped out of podiatry school to try dental school or any other professional schools? i dropped out due to family circumstances and i was not doing that good 🙁 helpppppppppppp. any recommendations?
 
Your previous situation (failure?) won't change how competitive other grad programs are in terms of GPA/MCAT/DAT scores required. Average matriculating statistics will not change for you personally because you've already tried your hand at podiatry. I personally wouldn't tell any of them I dropped out of podiatry school, because it will only raise questions about your abilities as an academician. I would just use whatever stats I used to get into pod school in the first place...of course those might not be good enough to get you into anything but pod...in which case you'd need to work to raise them. That could delay future schooling by a year or two.

Personally, my question would be, if I can't do well in pod school, how the hell am I gonna either a) boost my GPA/DAT/MCAT to be a competitive applicant or b) do any better in a Dental program (for example) than I was doing in my previous program?

Graduate level programs of any kind are NOT for everyone. Of course I'm sure your parents, teachers, coaches, etc all told you that you can be whatever you want to be when you grow up...GL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think things could be easier the 2nd time around. If you have the money, the desire and can find someone to let you in, why not?
 
How easy is it for a person who has failed or dropped out of podiatry school to try dental school or any other professional schools? i dropped out due to family circumstances and i was not doing that good 🙁 helpppppppppppp. any recommendations?

Dental school is extremely difficult to get into, from what I understand from speaking to students who've tried. Some students had excellent recommendations, experience in the dental industry, and good grades and didn't get in after applying for several most recent years.

Can you go back to the school you were in? Have you considered nursing or physician assistant careers? From what I understand these fields can pay very well. What's nice about nursing is you can practice clinically or accept a nice managerial type of job. There is a lot of room for leadership in nursing. Management positions exist at all levels, LPN, RN, NP, private duty, etc.
 
Good news buddy. It is not the end of the line for you. You have several options. One option is to attempt another DPM school. You better have a good reason why you failed and dropped out and you better have a good reason why you will do better. DPM schools are more picky than ever, but they will listen to you.

Other good news is that DO schools do not look at your DPM transcript. I contacted AACOMAS and DPM grades do not go under your GPA calculation. BUT the admissions board will still see your grades. But if your undergrad GPA is good and if this "Family emergency" was a true one, then you still have a chance.

It is an uphill battle. Some people face these things while they are in professional school. I faced one myself last semester. Missed about 2 months of school. I managed to bring up all my classes to passing, but the dean said he is still undecided on the one that the teacher failed me because I was not there. He said I should have had the chance to make up the exam. But I showed the school that even with a family emergency and difficult times, I could pull myself out of it. You need to be able to show admissions people this same thing. Show them that you want this, and that you were just unfortunate.

Some point in life, everybody has something that will pull them out of work or school, You were just unfortunate to have it during professional school.

My advice is to work hard on the MCAT, bring that up to show them improvement. Shadow a DO or DPM and then get up and go. There will be at least one school that will interview you if you bring that MCAT up high. Once you are in the interview, then it is all up to you to convince them that this was a one time thing and you will not fail again.

Eye of the Tiger buddy, best of luck! 👍
 
Good news buddy. It is not the end of the line for you. You have several options. One option is to attempt another DPM school. You better have a good reason why you failed and dropped out and you better have a good reason why you will do better. DPM schools are more picky than ever, but they will listen to you.

Other good news is that DO schools do not look at your DPM transcript. I contacted AACOMAS and DPM grades do not go under your GPA calculation. BUT the admissions board will still see your grades. But if your undergrad GPA is good and if this "Family emergency" was a true one, then you still have a chance.

It is an uphill battle. Some people face these things while they are in professional school. I faced one myself last semester. Missed about 2 months of school. I managed to bring up all my classes to passing, but the dean said he is still undecided on the one that the teacher failed me because I was not there. He said I should have had the chance to make up the exam. But I showed the school that even with a family emergency and difficult times, I could pull myself out of it. You need to be able to show admissions people this same thing. Show them that you want this, and that you were just unfortunate.

Some point in life, everybody has something that will pull them out of work or school, You were just unfortunate to have it during professional school.

My advice is to work hard on the MCAT, bring that up to show them improvement. Shadow a DO or DPM and then get up and go. There will be at least one school that will interview you if you bring that MCAT up high. Once you are in the interview, then it is all up to you to convince them that this was a one time thing and you will not fail again.

Eye of the Tiger buddy, best of luck! 👍

Thanks alot buddy for the encourgmet