Dropping a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlebluefish

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

This is extremely complicated, but long story short, there was one class that I signed up for that was a backup just in case a denied petition that my advisors and I appealed wouldn’t go through again for a credit to count as a graduation requirement. I'm trying to drop the class, but it will show up as a Q-drop on my transcript. I really don't know what to do. I'm paying a lot of money for it. Is a Q-drop a red flag for medical schools? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure about q drop but in general dropping is worth it for anything below a B- unless you have a 4.0. A 4.0 dropping makes it look like stat padding/artificial

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what a Q-drop is. Can you describe how this is different than a W (withdrawal)?
To my understanding, it's the same thing as withdrawal. Never had to do it before so not really sure myself to be honest. Just know that it shows on transcripts. Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like a different name for a withdrawal (W). Doesn't factor into the GPA but can be interpreted as having taken on more than you could handle. Not a huge deal if you don't do it more than once or twice and less of an issue if you have less than a 4.0 (taking Ws when you have a 4.0 looks like GPA protection and unwillingness to be less than perfect).

Thank you Google. This seems to be a Texas thing, so check with @wysdoc if it impacts TMDSAS (I doubt it). A Q-drop feels like it is a withdrawal but i guess it is all about the timing of the withdrawal and the fact it isn't associated with something outside your personal or family health (conjecture on my part).

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Google. This seems to be a Texas thing, so check with @wysdoc if it impacts TMDSAS (I doubt it). A Q-drop feels like it is a withdrawal but i guess it is all about the timing of the withdrawal and the fact it isn't associated with something outside your personal or family health (conjecture on my part).
It’s the same as dropping a class but late in the term, past the usual add/drop deadline. A UT student can use this option a limited number of times, but it isn’t a bad mark on the transcript or GPA.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone for the responses! I actually got it all sorted out, so the class was deleted from my records. Won't show on anything!

To my understanding, it's the same thing as withdrawal. Never had to do it before so not really sure myself to be honest. Just know that it shows on transcripts. Thanks for the reply!
For questions like this, I called AMCAS.
Or I guess you can try TMDSAS.