Dropping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxrxrx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to CPG and they do not require Microbiology so do you think it would be okay if I dropped it? I took it this semester for other schools but since I got in to one of my top choices, I thought I'd lighten my load and focus more on other courses, work, and extra curricular activities.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't need it, I say dropped it. You'll get to do all the memorizing that's associated with a microbiology class in pharm. school. You might be able to use some of that knowledge, if you were to retain it, in pharm. school though. But that depends on the type of brain you possess. :D

If i were you i would keep the class, microbio is one of the classes you'll have to take in pharmacy school. Taking it the second time will give you the edge and plus you probly won't have to study as hard the second time around. If it was like a business class i would say don't worry about and drop it but a science class like that keep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the course was different from what I was expecting. I thought it would be more microbial physiology but we are going on about epidemiology. I just worry that I won't be able to maintain an A because a) it is pretty challenging and b) i'm taking organic II this semester as well.

Why do you need an A if you already got accepted?

Regarding the need for the A, a lot schools, upon acceptance, require that the grades you get in the pre-reqs that you're finishing up not be radically different from the grades you've achieved upon applying to the school. For instance, if you have a 4.0 science GPA upon applying to the school, get admitted, then turn in the grades for the prereqs you are finishing and get C's, they're probably not going to allow you to attend.

Regarding the need for the A, a lot schools, upon acceptance, require that the grades you get in the pre-reqs that you're finishing up not be radically different from the grades you've achieved upon applying to the school. For instance, if you have a 4.0 science GPA upon applying to the school, get admitted, then turn in the grades for the prereqs you are finishing and get C's, they're probably not going to allow you to attend.

I don't agree with this, and what is "alot" of schools? Which ones in particular? The admissions letters I've received say you must keep a grade of C- or better in the required classes, and mention nothing about other classes. They can't rescind your admission if it's not in writing.

I don't agree with this, and what is "alot" of schools? Which ones in particular? The admissions letters I've received say you must keep a grade of C- or better in the required classes, and mention nothing about other classes. They can't rescind your admission if it's not in writing.

This sounds more reasonable and realistic.

Besides, most people I know would say that a B is not "radically different" from an A, neither would a C+ be depending on the class. You don't "need" the A. It would be nice to have, but focus on your OChem II and just don't forget about the micro. If you really think you should drop it, call the school just because it would show up different on your transcript vs your "planned coursework" from PharmCAS. If they don't have a problem, you don't have a problem. If it's not a PharmCAS school, but you put it on your planned coursework on their application, I'd say same suggestion applies.