Dropping a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking animal physiology, an upper level elective biology course. I enrolled because I wanted to improve my science GPA, but I performed poorly on the midterm and an A/A- seems very unlikely. At my school as long as you drop a course by the deadline (this Friday) it does not appear in any way on your transcript. It is as if you never enrolled at all. Given that it is not a requirement and I am likely going to get a B/B+ otherwise, is it a good idea to drop in this case? My current BCPM GPA is 3.59 and my goal is simply to get it above 3.6 before applying in June.

I should mention, I don't have any additional science coursework beyond the basic premed requirements (1 year bio, chem, orgo, physics, AP for calc). How much advanced coursework do medical schools expect? I am planning to take biochemistry next quarter as well as population genetics. I may take one other science course in the spring. Is it a problem to have minimal advanced science coursework?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a B in animal phys wouldn't be particularly helpful. It's nice you can totally erase your enrollment in the class by this Friday. I'd take the opportunity to get out, and perhaps add another upper division bio class next semester, if you think you can handle it (I know you're already taking 2 others).

Members don't see this ad :)
a B in animal phys wouldn't be particularly helpful. It's nice you can totally erase your enrollment in the class by this Friday. I'd take the opportunity to get out, and perhaps add another upper division bio class next semester, if you think you can handle it (I know you're already taking 2 others).

That's why I suggested keeping it. OP may run into a worse problem next semester. OP needs to decide whether they can handle it or not.

Hey thanks for the input. I think I'm going to drop it and add another upper level course, Biology of Aging next quarter. It is supposed to be relatively easy for a bio course and it is said to contain a fair amount of psych, which is my major. Hopefully it'll work out.

I had one other question. What is the process for getting a non-BCPM class to count for your BCPM GPA when you apply through AMCAS? I'm taking a class in cognitive neuroscience this quarter, but it's listed in the psych department. The textbook is called "the Biology of the Mind" and it is registered as an interdisciplinary course. There's a bunch of biology/brain anatomy stuff covered in the syllabus so I think it might be worth trying.

Hey thanks for the input. I think I'm going to drop it and add another upper level course, Biology of Aging next quarter. It is supposed to be relatively easy for a bio course and it is said to contain a fair amount of psych, which is my major. Hopefully it'll work out.

I had one other question. What is the process for getting a non-BCPM class to count for your BCPM GPA when you apply through AMCAS? I'm taking a class in cognitive neuroscience this quarter, but it's listed in the psych department. The textbook is called "the Biology of the Mind" and it is registered as an interdisciplinary course. There's a bunch of biology/brain anatomy stuff covered in the syllabus so I think it might be worth trying.

If the course is listed as Psy in your school. That is how I would list it under AMCAS.