saiyagirl

15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
hey guys,
...yet another question from the finance-burdened saiyagirl.

sooooo, i'm a double major, but i'm thinking of dropping one of my majors to a minor. big reason for this: i want to graduate early and save money. not for myself so much but my parents...we're in Big Trouble financially. i literally need every cent i got now. plus i'm not enjoying this major as much as i used to (the upper levels are starting to really suck).

Question is, do i have to reveal this to AMCAS or Adcoms somehow? if it comes up in an interview? (amcas is already verified and i'm completing secondaries now).

agent

agent, RN
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Near Chicago
finallyfantasy.com
Status
have you declared anywhere that you were a double major?

why did you double major anyway? to try to impress someone?

I would just declare to them your major/minor now and they should never know the difference

OP
S

saiyagirl

15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
hey agent...

i am a declared double major. i wanted to double major because at the time i really loved my second major and thought it would be a good complement to my other major.

so i shouldn't tell adcoms at all? (the drop to a minor will show up on my transcript)

About the Ads

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
i wouldn't tell adcoms since they don't really care all that much about what you major in. maybe if you get interviews you should make it a point to tell them then.

Polar girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2002
MO
Visit site
Status
I don't necessarily think that dropping a major is that big of a deal to them, but it is a big deal if they think you're going a semester longer than you actually are. I know someone who graduated a semester early and didn't tell any adcoms. She got accepted, but then when they found out she dropped a whole semester of classes she told them she was taking, they took back the admission.

So just make sure that you tell them if you're going to take a semester less than amcas shows.

CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2002
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't worry about dropping a major to a minor. I was doubling in English and Bio up until my last semester when I chose to drop English to a minor. I think the only way it might come up is during an interview and if then they may ask something like "why only a minor?," or "what made you chose to minor instead of actually finish the degree?" I would tell them exactly what the reasons are. I mean they have to understand that money is very important especially when you plan on spending so much for medical school anyway. For me it was a similar reason, I couldn't graduate in four years with two degrees so I said screw it and decided my love for English did not require having a piece of paper that said I completed however many credit hours. I would say do what is best for you and as long as you are strong in other areas having a minor will only make you look better anyways.

About the Ads