dropping a major to a minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saiyagirl

hey guys,
...yet another question from the finance-burdened saiyagirl.

sooooo, i'm a double major, but i'm thinking of dropping one of my majors to a minor. big reason for this: i want to graduate early and save money. not for myself so much but my parents...we're in Big Trouble financially. i literally need every cent i got now. plus i'm not enjoying this major as much as i used to (the upper levels are starting to really suck).

Question is, do i have to reveal this to AMCAS or Adcoms somehow? if it comes up in an interview? (amcas is already verified and i'm completing secondaries now).

Members don't see this ad.

have you declared anywhere that you were a double major?

why did you double major anyway? to try to impress someone?

I would just declare to them your major/minor now and they should never know the difference

hey agent...

i am a declared double major. i wanted to double major because at the time i really loved my second major and thought it would be a good complement to my other major.

so i shouldn't tell adcoms at all? (the drop to a minor will show up on my transcript)

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't tell adcoms since they don't really care all that much about what you major in. maybe if you get interviews you should make it a point to tell them then.

I don't necessarily think that dropping a major is that big of a deal to them, but it is a big deal if they think you're going a semester longer than you actually are. I know someone who graduated a semester early and didn't tell any adcoms. She got accepted, but then when they found out she dropped a whole semester of classes she told them she was taking, they took back the admission.

So just make sure that you tell them if you're going to take a semester less than amcas shows.

I wouldn't worry about dropping a major to a minor. I was doubling in English and Bio up until my last semester when I chose to drop English to a minor. I think the only way it might come up is during an interview and if then they may ask something like "why only a minor?," or "what made you chose to minor instead of actually finish the degree?" I would tell them exactly what the reasons are. I mean they have to understand that money is very important especially when you plan on spending so much for medical school anyway. For me it was a similar reason, I couldn't graduate in four years with two degrees so I said screw it and decided my love for English did not require having a piece of paper that said I completed however many credit hours. I would say do what is best for you and as long as you are strong in other areas having a minor will only make you look better anyways.