Dropping a minor..Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.LeoSpaceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after choosing classes for this semester, I have realized that I am not going to be able to complete a minor that I have been pursuing. I picked it up last spring, and my advisor said that I should be able to complete it without a problem. As it turns out, however, I cannot fit in the required classes without dropping classes I need to complete to earn my degree.

I plan on writing the med schools and informing them of this change, but I was just wondering if I can expect this to really hurt me. I am really worried that this will make me look bad, but its really through no fault of my own that I can't complete the minor. I am hoping that if I am honest, it won't be too much of an issue. Also, I have very strong grades and MCATs, which I think negate any indication that this is because of a lack of academic ability/motivation.

Any advice insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sheesh, FaytIND, I dunno. I think so long as you explain it, it IS afterall out of your control, and your advisors shortsight, then it'll be OK. It certainly doesn't sound like a dealbreaker to me. Ya know what? If you sign up for the class over the summer, thereby completing the class that would have given you the minor, it shows a good faith effort to have finished the minor. You can then show schools/interviewers your registration for the class, and have a de facto minor. Maybe that'd work out i'ight?

Good luck, my dude.

I seriously doubt that they'll care if you complete a minor as long as you have a good GPA, all the required prereqs, & a good MCAT. I wouldn't even think you need to notify them in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently read a thread about getting bad senior year second semester grades, and someone posted they knew someone who didn't even take second semester physics after being accepted and it was overlooked. Have you already been accepted anywhere? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I am pursuing a masters along with my bachelors, and due to reasons beyond my control, it may not happen (I had to petition, and still haven't heard back) - but I'm not worried about it at all. If I were you, I wouldn't either.

Yeah, I have been accepted to a few schools,but I am waiting to hear in March on the schools near the top of my list. I guess I was just worried that for some of the top schools they are looking for a reason to eliminate people. I think I will maybe make a few calls to schools, and see what they say. Thanks for the replies everyone.