Dropping class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothAche_nc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am very hesitant to drop my organic chem 2 lecture however I feel like I need to because I am doing poorly in it. The whole class is actually not doing well partly due to a new professor who has a different style of teaching. Long story, short: his exams are extremely tough. I go to a small university and there was only one organic chem professor who taught both orgo 1 and 2. He had a very different style of teaching and I guess it was more "direct" and we knew what would be on the exams. In this class, we don't really know what to expect in part because the professor expects us to just know the material. I know it's no excuse but I really can't gamble with not knowing how the rest of the semester will go. The old professor will be teaching orgo 2 next semester and I figured I could drop now with a W and retake it in the spring of 2017.
I do have pretty hard classes this semester yet it's just 13 credit hours including a genetics course(4 hour) and an organic chem 1 lab (1 credit), because I didn't take it while taking the orgo 1 lecture due to no space availability.
I have dropped a few courses before and I realize this is not the best option but I simply cannot afford anything below a B anymore. I don't have the highest gpa as well due to a horrible 1st year but I have pulled it up a lot. I'm currently a junior and still have 3-4 more semesters before I graduate. I am trying really hard to get the best grades as possible and take my entrance exam for either medical school (mcat) or dental school (dat) by next fall. I am still debating what I want to do in the health profession.
I have to decide this soon and was wondering what would be my best option? I'd really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well the number one thing you need to do is protect your GPA. That's your mantra. If your GPA is destroyed, then it doesn't matter how many credit hours you took- you won't be considered at all. period.

I would recommend the following:
a) Go talk to your professor. Express your concerns. Ask if there will be a curve. Ask him how to study and see if it makes sense to you.
b) Go talk to your academic dean. Explain that the entire class is having difficulties, and ask what his/her recommendation is.

If you're still unhappy after these two conversations, drop.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. You say the "whole class" is having difficulties. Is this something you know because the professor has presented the mean/median scores of the exam(s) to the class? What is the spread like? The curve? Is it that, or are the people you sit with repeatedly complaining about the course and you're playing into the narrative? While it is possible that this professor is new/bad at teaching/whatever, it doesn't mean that everyone in the class is getting wrecked. There are usually academic rules in place that prevent professors from failing everyone. Your story is the classic story that I have heard a million times from people (on SDN and from friends).. seems like it's always Orgo, too (2, too? lol).

You've got two choices. 1) Go to the professor, express your concern as the OP recommended. Start going to office hours every time the professor holds them. Study maniacally for this course and come out on top.

2) If you do think you're going to fail or get a poor grade and are too far in at this point, I would drop. You really should honestly review why this is occurring though (not for the internet to see, I mean for you). Bad professor/hard exams/etc will be a repeating event in undergrad and beyond. Again, devil's advocate for this post. I wish you luck with your endeavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the number one thing you need to do is protect your GPA. That's your mantra. If your GPA is destroyed, then it doesn't matter how many credit hours you took- you won't be considered at all. period.

I would recommend the following:
a) Go talk to your professor. Express your concerns. Ask if there will be a curve. Ask him how to study and see if it makes sense to you.
b) Go talk to your academic dean. Explain that the entire class is having difficulties, and ask what his/her recommendation is.

If you're still unhappy after these two conversations, drop.

Hey, so I talked to my professor and he said I am most likely headed towards a "C" and a "B" would be a stretch. I weighted the pros and cons and it just comes down to a matter of time and money. Would it be better for me to stay in and attempt to get higher grades or drop and re-take in the spring with a fresh mind? Like I said, I am pretty swamped in my other courses as well so I'm actually having a difficulty putting time into Organic Chem. So basically the pros and cons for me to stay in the course would be that; 1. I don't get a W 2. I save money 3. I might (big might) get a B. The cons would be that 1. I could get a C or lower which will not help my gpa in any way.
Now, if I do drop, the pros would be 1. I can save my gpa and re-take the next semester and work harder to get a high grade. The cons would obviously be I would have another W on my transcript and I would be losing a lot of money.
I feel like I should go ahead and drop if gpa is my priority, and I could make-up for it next spring. I would lose money but I guess, that's life.

Thanks again for your help!

Hey, so I talked to my professor and he said I am most likely headed towards a "C" and a "B" would be a stretch. I weighted the pros and cons and it just comes down to a matter of time and money. Would it be better for me to stay in and attempt to get higher grades or drop and re-take in the spring with a fresh mind? Like I said, I am pretty swamped in my other courses as well so I'm actually having a difficulty putting time into Organic Chem. So basically the pros and cons for me to stay in the course would be that; 1. I don't get a W 2. I save money 3. I might (big might) get a B. The cons would be that 1. I could get a C or lower which will not help my gpa in any way.
Now, if I do drop, the pros would be 1. I can save my gpa and re-take the next semester and work harder to get a high grade. The cons would obviously be I would have another W on my transcript and I would be losing a lot of money.
I feel like I should go ahead and drop if gpa is my priority, and I could make-up for it next spring. I would lose money but I guess, that's life.

Thanks again for your help!

Upon review of the following facts:
  • 1) You are extremely busy in your other courses.
  • 2) There is a high likelihood of getting a C, which would significantly hurt your science GPA and overall GPA.
  • 3) If you drop, you can save your GPA and further strengthen your candidacy by doing well in OChem next semester.
  • 4) You personally believe that you should go ahead and drop and that you can make-up for it in the future.

I recommend:
  • that you drop this course.
  • that you get yourself a copy of Organic Chemistry As a Second Language (Klein) and go through it at least three times before the class starts next Spring (take notes, do the exercises- it's a nice introduction to OChem and gives you a strong foundation that will help you next time you take the class).

Reactions: 1 user
I addition to @Incis0r's recommendations... See if you can continue going to lecture even after you drop. That way you'll have the benefit of being over-prepared the next time you take it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't think you can pull at least a C I would withdraw and even then if you think you can get an A or B next semester it still might be best to withdraw and retake.

btw if you do end up retaking the class make sure you study your ass off and get as high a grade as possible so ADCOMS don't second guess anything