Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Dropping classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Bluepawelephant, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Bluepawelephant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Does anyone know if there would be a problem with dropping a class that is not required after being accepted? Do you even have to tell the school? What are the procedures, if any?

2. QTkitty

QTkitty CSU PVM class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    It shouldn't be a problem. I dropped my last physics class recently and will receive a W but I let CSU know and because it isn't required, they said it doesn't matter. I would definately get in contact with the school prior to dropping it though.

3. cyrille104

2+ Year Member

Don't bother, just drop it.

4. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    When you were accepted the bottom of your acceptance had conditions, or it said none. These are pre-reqs that are required. If the course wasn't under the condition section the school won't care.

5. OP
    OP
    Bluepawelephant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I am going to call today, just to cover my bum and I will report the results here later.
    Thanks for the advice.

6. Ju4910

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I don't know if I am just crazy, but I wouldn't drop a class. Don't forget that vet school isn't the end of your career and your transcripts are going to follow you after graduation, and I wouldn't want that on my record. I would stick out the class, but that is just my opinion. I am sure vet schools wouldn't care if you dropped though, as long as it isn't a required class.

7. 4theanimals

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    A W on your transcripts is not going to haunt you for the rest of your life as some would suggest. If you had a dozen that would be a different story but a couple, so what? Check with the school to ensure there is no problem then drop it. Worst case, it did come up in the future, could you have a good reason to drop? And quite frankly at this point I would consider a good reason that you wanted to take it a little easy to be refreshed for the hell that is vet school. Or if your moving across country that you needed to work on your move.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. sambone

sambone Cornell 2013
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    What about a W before you've gotten in? Im thinking about withdrawing from a class now because Im working/volunteering ~55hrs per week-cant reduce that at all- and taking two really time consuming classes. I figured out that I have exactly one free hour per day if I study like I should, but I havent been so good at that lately! Life has really sucked this semester. But then again, this is probably what vet school will be like!

9. cyrille104

2+ Year Member

I understand not being able to reduce working a lot...but you can't reduce how much you volunteer? Don't go overboard now...I didn't ever do anything with animals during the school year, and they seem to be accepting me just fine. If you're at the point that you're only taking two classes and you have to drop one...you might consider trading some experience for good grades. The schools will definitely wonder why you had a W when you were only taking two classes...and you'll have to explain that. But it's probably better not to have to explain anything in the first place.

10. 4theanimals

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. OP
    OP
    Bluepawelephant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I called the school, and they said that as long as the class was not required for my degree or pre-req they would just up date my class info when my spring transcripts came in. The funny thing is that when I had called, I only mentioned that I was planning on dropping a class (no name) that was not required. The person; however, that I spoke with said that she saw that I was taking Organic Chem 2 this spring, almost like she was asking if that was the class or suggesting that I drop that class, which is the one that I was planning on dropping. Plus, by dropping the class now before midterm grades, the class will drop without a W, so no mark will remain on my transcript.

Just a side note about W grades, I had one on my transcript and still got in possibly because when I did retake the class I got an A. Sometimes admitting that you are overloaded and making adjustments is better than to struggle through with less than stellar performance.

12. CookieBear

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Well said. :thumbup: