Retake classes vs graduate program (non-thesis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yomiravet

Reaction score
Hello! I applied to vet school during the last VMCAS cycle. I was invited to do an interview but unfortunately, I was denied because of I never took more than 3 classes in any semester during my undergrad. This was upsetting to hear but it is my first time applying and I am still hopeful. My overall GPA was 2.9 for undergrad and a science GPA of 3.0. I have worked as a full-time veterinary technician for the past 9 years. I had very poor time management and prioritized my job instead of my education. However, I do not want to be a veterinary technician my entire life so I am now willing to give this up completely. I now am thinking of ways to strengthen my application. I know some of my courses are going to expire however, I am thinking about retaking some classes such as bio1 and chem 1 (I did not do well in the beginning compared to the upper-level classes) and also taking new upper-level classes at the same time. I am thinking about this route because it's cheaper, less time, and could show that I am able to take multiple classes at once and still do well with them. However, I am also thinking about applying to a graduate program but the problem with a graduate program is that it takes more time and costs more. Even though the latter is more time-consuming, if it's a better option to do to get into vet school, then it is an option I am willing to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Both retaking classes/taking new upper-level courses or doing a graduate program are fine. Unless you actually want to utilize this graduate degree/are passionate about the courses you would take in that program, I would suggest not choosing this. It isn't worth it to spend more money on a degree that you aren't expecting to utilize. Especially if this graduate program is more than a year. The advice that you received from admin wanted you to demonstrate that you can deal with the course load and either option would demonstrate this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I applied to vet school during the last VMCAS cycle. I was invited to do an interview but unfortunately, I was denied because of I never took more than 3 classes in any semester during my undergrad. This was upsetting to hear but it is my first time applying and I am still hopeful. My overall GPA was 2.9 for undergrad and a science GPA of 3.0. I have worked as a full-time veterinary technician for the past 9 years. I had very poor time management and prioritized my job instead of my education. However, I do not want to be a veterinary technician my entire life so I am now willing to give this up completely. I now am thinking of ways to strengthen my application. I know some of my courses are going to expire however, I am thinking about retaking some classes such as bio1 and chem 1 (I did not do well in the beginning compared to the upper-level classes) and also taking new upper-level classes at the same time. I am thinking about this route because it's cheaper, less time, and could show that I am able to take multiple classes at once and still do well with them. However, I am also thinking about applying to a graduate program but the problem with a graduate program is that it takes more time and costs more. Even though the latter is more time-consuming, if it's a better option to do to get into vet school, then it is an option I am willing to do.
Unfortunately,
It can be very difficult to raise GPAS. I have personally done both. Even taking classes that you previously gotten c’s in can help your GPA. However, you have to look at the schools you are interested in and see how they calculate GPAS. Some schools ( Minnesota, MN &SD 2+2, and Iowa) will replace repeated coursework for their pre-req gpa. This could really help some. Some schools are not as forgiving and will average the GPA. I have gotten good feedback on pursuing a graduate degree from the schools I reached out to and had an application review from. I would check out the VMCAS excel spreadsheet GPA calculator. This has been my go to in deciding on another degree and what courses I should retake. It’s costly either way. There are some programs that have Masters programs that can be completed in 9 months. I believe the University of Illinois has one for around 10k all online. The masters program I am in has many practicing veterinarians in it. I think you can’t go wrong in continuing to invest in yourself by investing in your education.

Have you asked the school(s) you applied to what they think would make you a stronger applicant? I would personally start there.

I was a lower GPA applicant that went the post-bacc route and took undergrad classes. However, my bachelors was in engineering and I had to take pretty much all of my prereqs. I was able to raise my cumulative GPA some (though it was still low for vet school admissions standards) but was able to make up for it with strong last 45 credit and science GPAs, diverse experiences, and strong letters of recommendation. It can be done, but I'd ask your top school(s) what they would like to see from you.

Reactions: 2 users