Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

dropping classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Becca, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

i was just wondering if they really pay close attention to how many classes you have dropped when applying for med school. i have dropped 3 through out the last 3 years. now, i'm registering for classes, and i see that i could graduate in december. however, i think i would rather take light loads and grad in may 2003, but that would mean i wouldn't have 12 hours each semester. to make a long story short, i would take an extra class and drop it so i would be registered for a full load and could still be covered on insurance. bad idea?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I don't know if that's a bad idea or not. As for the dropped classes thing, I think some schools pay more attention to them than others. I had at least 3 W's on my transcript (don't remember how many exactly) and it didn't seem to hurt me at all. :)

4. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

guys, i would really like some input on this if you have any ideas. thanx.

5. lamyers1

lamyers1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In general, dropped classes look bad. Especially a couple. Some schools take more notice than others. Our advisor would kill us for dropping a class. I would keep the class and take a fun easy class to fill the full time requirements in the subsequent semesters.

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lamyers:
    <strong>I would keep the class and take a fun easy class to fill the full time requirements in the subsequent semesters.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lamyers speaks true. :)

Like I said, it looks worse at some schools than at others. Either way, it's not the best idea. Take the cake courses that will be fun.

7. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Dropped or withdrew? At my school, no one ever knows if you drop a class by the end of the "drop period" about halfway into the semester. A withdraw, on the other hand, can happen any time and goes down on your transcript. I wouldn't worry if it's just 2-4, i had that many easy. What really hurts are W-Fs where you were failing and withdrew. I had to explain that one EVERYWHERE. --Trek