Dropping Linear Algebra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I ****ed up big time on my second prelim. (Think A- on first one to below 40% on the second)

If I ace final, I get a B- (median is B). If i get a 3.8 average on other subjects, factoring in that B- will drop it to a 3.76.

Should I drop? The chance that I will ace the final is not very solid. This will be my only drop this year (hopefully). I am taking 17 academic credits, and dropping will decrease it to 13, which is above the minimum of 12.

Thanks!

Also, is linear algebra recommened for MCAT? Just about how much math do you need to learn for MCAT? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how many W's have you already got? how math heavy is your transcript?

If this is the highest level math you've taken, and you don't need it for anything else, and you are done with math after this course, AND you haven't got a ton of other W's - (yes that's a bunch of conditionals!) I say drop.

Lots of W's looks suspicious. One or two won't hurt. If asked, you answer truthfully that the course wasn't for you.

and no, you don't need linear algebra for the MCAT. dear god, no. Trig/pre-calc is sufficient.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is my only math class..some of the ppl that I know said that I dont need any math past AP Calc BC.

I don't have any W (only a freshman) except potentially this one.

Honestly, I think freshman shouldn't be allowed to sign up for courses like this without having to directly talk with the mathematics department. But yes, drop it and never take it again unless you need it for your major.

Honestly, I think freshman shouldn't be allowed to sign up for courses like this without having to directly talk with the mathematics department. But yes, drop it and never take it again unless you need it for your major.

In my case, I did talk to the math department (my faculty advisor was in the math dept) It was the easiest class i coudl have taken after Calc II (AP Calc BC)

Also, I need to take stats for my psych class. It doesnt really matter if I take the easier math 1710 rather than stsci 2100 right?

I think STSCI 2100 is harder than MATH 1710...if I can get a better grade (and thus a better GPA) then taking MATH 1710 is a better option right?

As a general rule, should I take easier classes and opt for higher GPA?

As a general rule, yes always try to get into a class where you'll get a higher grade. No Adcom will know you took an easy course, they'll just know you took a course.