Aug 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys new to sdn so this is my first post.
So I have applied to vet school and did not get in the first time. Just recently got into a masters program in hopes that it would increase my chances of gaining acceptance. Unfortunately I really do not enjoy the masters program at all and want to get out of it. I have been told by many vet schools that they don't think it would have any negative effect on my application so I guess my question is do y'all think it would be ok to drop and strengthen other areas of my application?

katashark

Oregon c/o 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2015
The Ocean
Status
Veterinary Student
Strengthen the areas of the application that you can. You don't have to have a masters.

Reactions: Doctor-S
Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Hey guys new to sdn so this is my first post.
So I have applied to vet school and did not get in the first time. Just recently got into a masters program in hopes that it would increase my chances of gaining acceptance. Unfortunately I really do not enjoy the masters program at all and want to get out of it. I have been told by many vet schools that they don't think it would have any negative effect on my application so I guess my question is do y'all think it would be ok to drop and strengthen other areas of my application?
First off, entering intro a research degree program only to increase your chances of being accepted to vet school is a terrible idea. You do research because you want to do research, or else you will end up miserable like you are now.

Secondly, did you do a file review? Do you know it was due to grades and did someone suggest doing an additional degree to raise your post-undergrad GPA? Or were there other factors? Perhaps increasing and diversifying your vet experience would be a better option here, or one of the other things you alluded to strengthening.

Don't force yourself along in something you hate. It will only cause bitterness and resentment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor-S
OP
A
Aug 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
First off, entering intro a research degree program only to increase your chances of being accepted to vet school is a terrible idea. You do research because you want to do research, or else you will end up miserable like you are now.

Secondly, did you do a file review? Do you know it was due to grades and did someone suggest doing an additional degree to raise your post-undergrad GPA? Or were there other factors? Perhaps increasing and diversifying your vet experience would be a better option here, or one of the other things you alluded to strengthening.

Don't force yourself along in something you hate. It will only cause bitterness and resentment.
I did do a file review. My gpa is not great but I was not told to do a masters. One school said they did not think I needed to pursue any further classes. Mostly I was told to bring my gre up some and to have more extracurricular activities.

katashark

Oregon c/o 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2015
The Ocean
Status
Veterinary Student
I did do a file review. My gpa is not great but I was not told to do a masters. One school said they did not think I needed to pursue any further classes. Mostly I was told to bring my gre up some and to have more extracurricular activities.
So do those things that they said to do. Why bother with a masters?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile