dropping out of pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiderluver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My first post on here was basically expressing my concerns about pharmacy. My biggest regret is not researching this career enough prior to starting and just jumping right in. Currently in my first semester as a P1 student and I am dropping out... I declined my loans & dropped my classes. I was originally thinking of pursing an engineering degree but decided to stick within healthcare and pursue the BSN to NP route.

To any pre-pharms out there that might be reading this post... please do your research before applying to schools! Admissions directors are not on our side and will make it seem like the profession is booming. There are non-traditional pharmacy jobs out there but are probably even more competitive since that's what many pharmacy students want to pursue anyways because of retail saturation.

Just wanted to give a little update and if anyone else is having doubts about pharmacy because of the job outlook it is not too late to pursue another career with better job security.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
bravo! do what makes you happy is the most important!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I made same decision as yours and dropped out in my second semester. Good for you!

I had classmates who made the same decision, 30 years ago. And that was when it was a respected and respectable career; they just decided that, for whatever reason, it wasn't the right thing for them.

Hey everyone! My first post on here was basically expressing my concerns about pharmacy. My biggest regret is not researching this career enough prior to starting and just jumping right in. Currently in my first semester as a P1 student and I am dropping out... I declined my loans & dropped my classes. I was originally thinking of pursing an engineering degree but decided to stick within healthcare and pursue the BSN to NP route.

To any pre-pharms out there that might be reading this post... please do your research before applying to schools! Admissions directors are not on our side and will make it seem like the profession is booming. There are non-traditional pharmacy jobs out there but are probably even more competitive since that's what many pharmacy students want to pursue anyways because of retail saturation.

Just wanted to give a little update and if anyone else is having doubts about pharmacy because of the job outlook it is not too late to pursue another career with better job security.
Hi there! I wanted to say that I, too, have dropped out of pharmacy school after taking a year off after my 1st year. Of course, I did my research (one would say overthinking, but had to scrutinize both sides of the coin, so to speak) prior to getting into pharmacy school, but I had seen the signs everywhere that made my gut verify with my brain, exactly what I had known all along. Thank you for affirming what I've been thinking about. The experience of this past year also helped me out :)

Reactions: 1 users
If I did what made me happy, I'd be playing video games all day. But...yeah.
Well....becoming a pharmacist is GREAT for that. NO pesky job to interfere with your game time....

I don't know if there's anyone on this forum who feels the way I do. On some days, I feel immense regret and major feelings of missing out after quitting pharmacy school this year. I'm seeing some friends get prestigious research fellowships, and my classmates are going into their P3 year. Meanwhile, I'm trying for nursing school, and had a freak out moment when I realized I'll be starting nursing school when my classmates are graduating...I feel like I've been wasting time, but yet, I'm retaking the classes I need to matriculate into an accelerated nursing program. I know that there are most days when I feel like "Yeah! I'm going to a better place." But, the pull of the prestige of the PharmD sometimes eats at me, and yet I know the better part of me says, "Don't be silly. You saw all the evidence around you that this is not the way to go, and you experienced it yourself. Trust yourself." It's so hard to fight through these mixed feelings sometimes. Does anyone else feel the same way?

The prestige is only in your mind. PharmDs (and pharmacists in general) are perceived as a dime a dozen. You'll thank yourself for your bravery later when you're actually making a living with your education.

Reactions: 6 users
Nobody cares or is impressed about you having a PharmD especially if you end up struggling financially for the rest of your life from paying student loans

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if there's anyone on this forum who feels the way I do. On some days, I feel immense regret and major feelings of missing out after quitting pharmacy school this year. I'm seeing some friends get prestigious research fellowships, and my classmates are going into their P3 year. Meanwhile, I'm trying for nursing school, and had a freak out moment when I realized I'll be starting nursing school when my classmates are graduating...I feel like I've been wasting time, but yet, I'm retaking the classes I need to matriculate into an accelerated nursing program. I know that there are most days when I feel like "Yeah! I'm going to a better place." But, the pull of the prestige of the PharmD sometimes eats at me, and yet I know the better part of me says, "Don't be silly. You saw all the evidence around you that this is not the way to go, and you experienced it yourself. Trust yourself." It's so hard to fight through these mixed feelings sometimes. Does anyone else feel the same w
Nobody cares or is impressed about you having a PharmD especially if you end up struggling financially for the rest of your life from paying student loans
Right.Prestige?How much will that add to your bank account?

Reactions: 1 user
Prestige Worldwide!

PharmCAS: $500

Supplemental applications: $300

Pharmacy school tuition + room and board + student loan fees: $200k+

Having to explain to others why you're an unemployed 'doctor': priceless

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
OP, how are you doing now that you have switched careers?

OP, how are you doing now that you have switched careers?
Thank you Lexington2012!
This is a very important thread that needs to be updated and discussed weekly.
Prospective drop-outs will hear from the rest of us, pharmacist. They will get help, and support.
I have been a pharmacist for 38 years, a Pharm.D. with PGY1. The profession has been berry, berry good to me. I have certainly enjoyed the prestige and financial gains that come with it for 4 decades. I have loved my profession. And yet, I am so happy my two sons chose IST, and CS. My youngest daughter wants to be a PA.
The collective consensus here, from pharmacist, is drop out, do something else. We are not saying this to be mean or elitist.