You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dropping out of pharmacy?
Started by JohnsDoeTho
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I won't drop out just yet. You are in your first year of pharmacy school. You should really look into a nontraditional roles. Industry, PBM and Public health. PM if you have any questions.Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're interested in a clinical role, I would see if you can get into PA/NP or med school. A 3.2 may not cut it for many med schools though.
I won't drop out just yet. You are in your first year of pharmacy school. You should really look into a nontraditional roles. Industry, PBM and Public health. PM if you have any questions.
Yes, but working for the 3 letter pharmacy already, the path to working on PBM and LTC may already be available depending on whether they allow the move out of the retail side.
As someone who left after 1 year of pharmacy school to go to a different route I can tell you if you feel the frustration of not being able to do do enough for patients or feeling that the scope of practice being to narrow then leave. I wish I could tell you a PharmD is a valuable degree thats going to give you an edge on a lot of areas but its only good for 1 thing: Being a Pharmacist.
1. For example if someone wants to go into industry (Pharmaceutics), a BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering is way more valuable and cheaper than a PharmD. Also, as another option a PhD in Pharmaceutics is paid through TA and Fellowships.
2. MD is the "best" career for direct patient care and PA/NP are great careers with way less time commitment and debt that pharmacy.
3. For public health, obviously an MPH is way more applicable and shorter to obtain than a Pharm.D.
4. PBM and the Health Insurance industry is one where a Pharm.D. might have the upper hand but I have also heard MD's or Nurses have some similar roles.
5. "Clinical Pharmacy" if you can do it in a progressive enviroment sounds awesome but those are few and far in between.
However, as a disclaimer Please SHADOW other professions, talk to a career counselor, do career tests and sit down and really think about what you want to do as a career and what actual tasks you want to do in your everyday. And you are still pretty early in your academic career. If you decide to change, look at the pre-reqs for whatever you want and pick the major that will let you graduate the earliest. Good luck in your studies.
1. For example if someone wants to go into industry (Pharmaceutics), a BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering is way more valuable and cheaper than a PharmD. Also, as another option a PhD in Pharmaceutics is paid through TA and Fellowships.
2. MD is the "best" career for direct patient care and PA/NP are great careers with way less time commitment and debt that pharmacy.
3. For public health, obviously an MPH is way more applicable and shorter to obtain than a Pharm.D.
4. PBM and the Health Insurance industry is one where a Pharm.D. might have the upper hand but I have also heard MD's or Nurses have some similar roles.
5. "Clinical Pharmacy" if you can do it in a progressive enviroment sounds awesome but those are few and far in between.
However, as a disclaimer Please SHADOW other professions, talk to a career counselor, do career tests and sit down and really think about what you want to do as a career and what actual tasks you want to do in your everyday. And you are still pretty early in your academic career. If you decide to change, look at the pre-reqs for whatever you want and pick the major that will let you graduate the earliest. Good luck in your studies.
Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
I would just drop ASAP because you would waste money and time.
My brother graduated as a dentist and never practiced because he hated it. Fortunately he got full scholarship...
What did your brother end up doing?
I would just drop ASAP because you would waste money and time.
My brother graduated as a dentist and never practiced because he hated it. Fortunately he got full scholarship...
I didn’t mind being a student, but I don’t like actual pharmacist work esp with the opioid crisis. Too many laws and regulations, and with other rphs not following, I feel it makes it harder for me to practice correctly. Your choice for sure, but I’d switch. Talk to NPs or PAs for more insight.
Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
8
874700
Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
Did you volunteer or work in the pharmacy before you applied to pharmacy school? If you feel that pharmacy is not for you then don't do it. Volunteer in hospital and see how the working environment is. Ask PA and NP all the questions you need the answer for. Compare and contrast see what you like and dislike about the two.
8
874700
I would advise anyone who wants to become a pharmacist should volunteer or work as a technician in the pharmacy first to see the work environment and deal with patients before applying to pharmacy school. Also, anyone who wants to go to medical school should try to volunteer in hospitals or clinics.
Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
Most programs (not all) will grant you a bachelors after “second” year in the professional program. If you can push to getting high academic scores, I’d try to stay long enough for the degree (should they provide one). That way you qualify for other healthcare prerequisite routes. At least by then you won’t feel like your studies went to waste. Contact your school and see what they say
I would advise anyone who wants to become a pharmacist first of all student should survey about the field what is this field is about? you should volunteer or work as a technician in the pharmacy first to see the work environment and deal with patients before applying to pharmacy school.
If you really like then it will be benificial for you.
If you really like then it will be benificial for you.
I have some great advice that I’ll post here publicly: drop out now.BridgitteBEE
How To Survive Pharmacy School... I have some great advice for those of you just starting school. Please message me of youre interested in some helpful advice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what fellowships and residency are for. It will boost your chances of getting an industry/hospital position.
Hello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
Your one of the Smart ones on here pal. You know exactly what to do and I agree. I bet you will be awesome at anything you do, since you have the forward thinking skills most of your classmates lack. Keep on going man! good stuff.
D
deleted562805
Cut your losses Man. I do not think there is a medical school that does not require a bachelors. Go back take a SMP and apply for medical school. Make sure you have a reason why you dropped out of pharmacy when explaining to admissionsHello everyone, despite some hate I'll get from this, I'm not a fan of pharmacy anymore. How pharmacy came introduction to me was amazing seemed like the most easiest, and very friendly patient care environment career.
But I came to notice that after working 2 years into a 3 letter big chain pharmacy you are constantly yelled at by customers and the higher ups. It feels like I'm working at a fast food shop than a community pharmacy.
Im doing a 0-6 pharmacy program, 2 years of undergrad, and 4 years of pharmacy. Im currently 20 years old and finished my first year of pharmacy, I got good grades so far a 3.2 GPA, hoping to rise in the incoming semesters, but what they teach us in school I feel you will use almost 0% of it in the real world
I wanted to deal with more patient care and I think i might be too deep, I have a few options, finish next year and apply to medical schools, (the ones that dont require a bachelor's degree, or take graduate degree program credits) finish pharmd then pursue MD, finish pharmd then pursue PA, or drop now and go for NP, I'd like to hear your guys' responses, thank you.
D
deleted562805
If you choose DO, you would have a better chance if you keep working hard and pushing towards your GPA goal of 3.45 with a P4 year. P4 clinical rotations are going to be a benefit not a detriment to you. Also, in the P4 year, you can shadow and network with docs. How long has it been since you took pre-reqs? You may have to take pre-reqs as it is probably expired.At the time I wrote this post I was a P1, Im now a P3 studying for MCAT, im still intending to finish with 3.3 gpa ish. the goal now is if I should take another gap year so the P4 rotation grades are up ~3.45, or just apply this may!
I would not worry about trying for MD. Since for MD, a competitive GPA is 3.7 or above. But if you try for MD, you need to do a SMP and get a GPA of 3.7 or above
D
deleted562805
Okay, that’s good in regards to pre-reqs. If you are going to apply during the P3 year and skipping P4 rotations, then your goal MCAT score should be above 511 to compensate for the low GPA. Best of luck to you! I hope you do well and I hope you get accepted into medical school.I took my pre-req's 2015-2017, I cant afford time/money for an SMP haha, I'll just apply with a 3.3 to both MD/DO and just see what happens. Not sure if it's better waiting a year for an 'upward trend look' and .1 GPA but screw it
Last edited by a moderator:
WHat do you do now since you dropped out?As someone who left after 1 year of pharmacy school to go to a different route I can tell you if you feel the frustration of not being able to do do enough for patients or feeling that the scope of practice being to narrow then leave. I wish I could tell you a PharmD is a valuable degree thats going to give you an edge on a lot of areas but its only good for 1 thing: Being a Pharmacist.
1. For example if someone wants to go into industry (Pharmaceutics), a BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering is way more valuable and cheaper than a PharmD. Also, as another option a PhD in Pharmaceutics is paid through TA and Fellowships.
2. MD is the "best" career for direct patient care and PA/NP are great careers with way less time commitment and debt that pharmacy.
3. For public health, obviously an MPH is way more applicable and shorter to obtain than a Pharm.D.
4. PBM and the Health Insurance industry is one where a Pharm.D. might have the upper hand but I have also heard MD's or Nurses have some similar roles.
5. "Clinical Pharmacy" if you can do it in a progressive enviroment sounds awesome but those are few and far in between.
However, as a disclaimer Please SHADOW other professions, talk to a career counselor, do career tests and sit down and really think about what you want to do as a career and what actual tasks you want to do in your everyday. And you are still pretty early in your academic career. If you decide to change, look at the pre-reqs for whatever you want and pick the major that will let you graduate the earliest. Good luck in your studies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K