dropping out of pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderluver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My first post on here was basically expressing my concerns about pharmacy. My biggest regret is not researching this career enough prior to starting and just jumping right in. Currently in my first semester as a P1 student and I am dropping out... I declined my loans & dropped my classes. I was originally thinking of pursing an engineering degree but decided to stick within healthcare and pursue the BSN to NP route.

To any pre-pharms out there that might be reading this post... please do your research before applying to schools! Admissions directors are not on our side and will make it seem like the profession is booming. There are non-traditional pharmacy jobs out there but are probably even more competitive since that's what many pharmacy students want to pursue anyways because of retail saturation.

Just wanted to give a little update and if anyone else is having doubts about pharmacy because of the job outlook it is not too late to pursue another career with better job security.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry to hear about your experience.
Please note: you're posting in the WRONG FORUM. This is not the pre-pharm forum. The very vast majority of us are already licensed. Try posting it in the pre-pharm forum and be prepared to be called a hater.

Reactions: 2 users
Please note: you're posting in the WRONG FORUM. This is not the pre-pharm forum. The very vast majority of us are already licensed. Try posting it in the pre-pharm forum and be prepared to be called a hater.
Oops, just posted it in the pre-pharmacy forum. Thanks for the heads up lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I practiced for 18 years, and do not regret one minute of the time since I walked away from the profession in 2012. It was a very painful decision (I've dealt with a cancer diagnosis in the meantime and that was less traumatic) but it's not the career it was just a few years ago. I can assure you that you have made the right decision, and I know nothing else about you.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

The student mod will just move it to the hidden forum anyway.

• Haha
Hey everyone! My first post on here was basically expressing my concerns about pharmacy. My biggest regret is not researching this career enough prior to starting and just jumping right in. Currently in my first semester as a P1 student and I am dropping out... I declined my loans & dropped my classes. I was originally thinking of pursing an engineering degree but decided to stick within healthcare and pursue the BSN to NP route.

To any pre-pharms out there that might be reading this post... please do your research before applying to schools! Admissions directors are not on our side and will make it seem like the profession is booming. There are non-traditional pharmacy jobs out there but are probably even more competitive since that's what many pharmacy students want to pursue anyways because of retail saturation.

Just wanted to give a little update and if anyone else is having doubts about pharmacy because of the job outlook it is not too late to pursue another career with better job security.

Congrats on cutting your losses and choosing a good career! My workplace has so many new grads who are per diems and this is their only job, they are lucky to get one shift per week. Some I haven't seen in like two months. I don't know how they'll ever pay their loans. I heard the chains are paying $45/hr now with part time hours. You made the right choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.