Dropping.... the big W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newfocus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I posted a similar thread in the everyone forum but I though I'd post here also and see what you guys thought. I'm thinking about dropping one of my classes. Its a non-science class and it is taking up sooo much of my time. The prof gives tons of out side of class busy work and it is taking away from my science classes study time. I need the class for my minor so I will have to ultimately take it, but I heard there is a much easier prof to take it from. I guess my question is.... what looks worse on a transcript a C or a W? Because if I stay in the class im probably going to end up with a C. What do you guys think?? Did any of you get asked about W's in the interview?

[This message has been edited by newfocus (edited 03-05-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped a Genetics Laboratory and ended up with a W on my transcript. Not one interviewer has asked about it. I think it only becomes a problem if you have many W's on your transcript or if you have a WF(withdrew failing). A 'C' can have a drastic deflation effect on a GPA.

I had 2 Ws on my transcript and neither of the 2 schools that I interviewed with asked me about them. (By the way, they were both non-science classes.) I got accepted to both schools so, like the previous post said, I guess they only get concerned if they see a bunch of Ws. I would definitely go with the W if I were you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one W on my transcript (science class), and have never been asked about it, 5 interviews and two acceptances later. I ended up retaking the class (like you are planning to) so I proved that I could do the work. Definitely go with the W instead of the C; like a previous poster mentioned, the C will do far more damage.

How's this for more reassurance? I have 4 "W's" on my transcripts. All classes were dropped for good reason, and I have good explanations for all of them. I interviewed at 17 schools and have been accepted to several top notch schools, and NONE of my interviewers has asked me about it. I think W's only really become an issue to medical schools, when they reflect a pattern of behavior. If the rest of your app is strong, you'll be fine to drop the class. I would take a W over a C any day. Hope this helps!