Dropping the O in OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButterButter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on an anesthesia rotation early in 4th year and as we were setting up the room, the circulating nurse was taking down the names of the med students that would be involved in the case. A student that I didn't know was on a surgery rotation and introduced himself to the circulator. She wrote his name on the white board followed by "MS4". He quickly jumped in and said, "not MS4, OMS4." I cringed a little bit.

Look, I'm a medical student. That guy is a medical student, and there's no palpable difference in how I'm treated as a medical student in an academic institution if there's an "O" before the MS or not. The O is merely a marketing gimmick. As much as I can, I drop it. When I sign notes that no one reads in epic, I sign it "MS4" like all the other 4th years. There's no utility in including the O, and I feel it makes us look ridiculous.

My school has a contract that it sends to preceptors that outlines all this stuff about how we're supposed to be introduced to patients ("This is Student Doctor blabla") and how our training needs to focus attention on our Osteopathic core values. It's total BS, and I've had a few attendings draw attention to its absurdity. It's ridiculous. Sure, maybe the OMS thing is small potatoes, but it's a rotten potato.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
That is pretty god damn cringey to correct someone over "MS4". Sometimes I think certain people are embarrassed about their degree and always need to put a qualifier on it, like "I go to osteopathic medical school" instead of just "medical school." I wish I could say I'm surprised someone would correct someone over "MS4", but after KCU's accepted student day where a small group of students were trying to one-up each other on lives they had saved as scribes, nothing fazes me anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I never use it unless I’m sending an email to some administrator at my school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think what has been said is reasonable, and hearing about the situation, I'd not want to correct the nurse like the student did.

Right now after a year and a half on the forums and thinking about the qualifiers of OMS vs MS (it's not AMS!) I am not sure where to fall. I would be hesitant to drop the O in OMS not to distinguish myself in a positive light for "osteopathic recognition", but to avoid demonstrating that I think I am something I'm not, or haven't earned, an allopathic med student. I don't want to be one of those students that obfuscates the fact that I attend an osteopathic medical school due to a chip on my shoulder or something. At the same time, I am confident that I'll be at similar ability as most other medical students all along the way, and removing the "distinguishing" O in OMS is probably just another step in the right direction towards reducing unwarranted bias.

But I haven't been through any of this yet so I would like to see what actual DO students think about this. For the record, I was surprised that DOs use "OMS" at all when I first started seeing it.

Reactions: 4 users
[QUOTE="Look, I'm a medical student. That guy is a medical student, and there's no palpable difference in how I'm treated as a medical student in an academic institution if there's an "O" before the MS or not. The O is merely a marketing gimmick. As much as I can, I drop it. When I sign notes that no one reads in epic, I sign it "MS4" like all
.[/QUOTE]
I see what you did here. funny OS joke.

Reactions: 6 users
He's/she's an idiot.

I've dreamed of my COM dropping 'osteopathic' and just going with SOM or 'college of medicine'. I often drop it when introducing myself to patients to make encounters more fluid when they ask where I go. It feels very surreptitious to do so, like how a mid-level might call themselves doctor to hide their true credentials.

Last edited:
Honestly even the professors at my school flip flop the two - it doesn't matter.

As for e-mails, unless you're sending a professional e-mail outside of your school, I don't see the need to sign all of your background info (candidacy, past degree, etc.) - especially to professors... I'd imagine they hate that. Lol. I've only used my signature when I was e-mailing around looking for research.

In the end, if you just don't let things bother you, you'll get a long way. Just roll with the punches and let people be pretentious.

Last edited:
I use OMS-4 in my email signature and internal things because my school cares about it, and then in my EMR notes out of habit, not because I actually care. I would never correct somebody who said MS-4.

He's/she's an idiot.

I've dreamed of my COM dropping 'osteopathic' and just going with SOM or 'college of medicine'. I often drop it when introducing myself to patients to make encounters more fluid when they ask where I go. It feels very surreptitious to do so, like how a mid-level might call themselves doctor to hide their true credentials.
You are a medical student being trained to obtain an ACGME residency in order to ultimately practice medicine. The only people who should be calling themselves “Osteopathic Physicians” are those who specialize in OMM and nothing else, the rest are just plain ole’ physicians being used as a political tool. When you introduce yourself to patients, you have every right to remove “Osteopathic” if it doesn’t describe the way you practice and/or want to practice. To be honest, an OMM practicing MD has more right to call themselves an Osteopathic Physician than DOs who don’t practice OMM.

Reactions: 12 users
You are a medical student being trained to obtain an ACGME residency in order to ultimately practice medicine. The only people who should be calling themselves “Osteopathic Physicians” are those who specialize in OMM and nothing else, the rest are just plain ole’ physicians being used as a political tool. When you introduce yourself to patients, you have every right to remove “Osteopathic” if it doesn’t describe the way you practice and/or want to practice. To be honest, an OMM practicing MD has more right to call themselves an Osteopathic Physician than DOs who don’t practice OMM.

I agree with everything above. The problem is that actually stating the full name of my COM involves marketing osteopathic medicine with a separate 2-3 min conversation about the history of the US medical system that detracts from patient care.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything above. The problem is that actually stating the full name of my COM involves marketing osteopathic medicine with a separate 2-3 min conversation about the history of the US medical system that detracts from patient care.

Huh. I always just say “I’m ortnakas a medical student at COM” and I’ve gotten asked what osteopathic medicine means less than a handful of times. My answer’s always been “we learn all the same things as MD students, we just get some extra training in musculoskeletal stuff.” 30 seconds extra, tops.

Reactions: 3 users
I tend to sign it as MS. The O is just an adjective and you can include it if you wish to emphasize your osteopathicness. You don't see allopaths putting AMS so why should osteopaths put OMS.

Quoting to bring this wonderful noun to light.

Reactions: 1 user
Found an interesting study about this exact topic online. Here's a figure I found:

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.58.44 PM.png

Reactions: 12 users
Huh. I always just say “I’m ortnakas a medical student at COM” and I’ve gotten asked what osteopathic medicine means less than a handful of times. My answer’s always been “we learn all the same things as MD students, we just get some extra training in musculoskeletal stuff.” 30 seconds extra, tops.

Yeah I've done that and "think of it as an MD with PT on top". I've also gotten "tell me about your patches"... The burden of the short coat. No matter how I spin it, the addition of a five syllable word will either confuse or intrigue patients, which wastes time and effort legitimizing myself and the awkward marketing efforts of our overlords.

I say the name of my university. I never say what specific COM etc. I have asked my friends at MD schools and none of them ever state the specific college they go to. All just say 'I am a medical student at UC Davis' etc. I do the same thing, I am not here to advertise the blah blah blah college of osteopathic medicine, I came to be a physician. The rest is a distraction.

Reactions: 4 users
Definatley advertising myself as osteopathic otolaryngologist. Galbreath all day.

That is pretty god damn cringey to correct someone over "MS4". Sometimes I think certain people are embarrassed about their degree and always need to put a qualifier on it, like "I go to osteopathic medical school" instead of just "medical school." I wish I could say I'm surprised someone would correct someone over "MS4", but after KCU's accepted student day where a small group of students were trying to one-up each other on lives they had saved as scribes, nothing fazes me anymore.
Bruh I was there and missed that, was it at KC or Joplin?

I like it-- it helps me to distinguish which classmates I want to steer clear of.

This decision is made even easier when they sign emails: "OMS2, MBA student, BS in WTF, DO candidate."

Don't even get me started on the whole "candidate" stupidity.
I've always signed my emails

-Mad Jack

Unless it's something really official, such as to a PD/attending/high ranking school faculty, in which case I'll use

-Mad Jack, OMS-IV

I use the O because it's basically standard in all of our student emails, I've literally never seen a student use just MS4, and for whatever reason the roman numerals seem to be pretty standard in most of the communications I receive for super official stuff. People who insist on dropping the O come off as insecure about going to a DO school, while people that are insistent on the O come off as insecure for other reasons, there is really no good way about it. If it's someone I know pretty well or have gotten casual with, it's just

-Mad

Despite having other qualifications, I never list them, even if I am quite proud of them as accomplishments, because it looks pompous

I just say, I’m butter, a medical student working with the [insert specialty] team. And I sign emails ButterButter, Fourth Year Medical Student even when I’m emailing faculty and admin. I hold a leadership position at my school and no ones said anything.

I've always signed my emails

-Mad Jack

Unless it's something really official, such as to a PD/attending/high ranking school faculty, in which case I'll use

-Mad Jack, OMS-IV

I use the O because it's basically standard in all of our student emails, I've literally never seen a student use just MS4, and for whatever reason the roman numerals seem to be pretty standard in most of the communications I receive for super official stuff. People who insist on dropping the O come off as insecure about going to a DO school, while people that are insistent on the O come off as insecure for other reasons, there is really no good way about it. If it's someone I know pretty well or have gotten casual with, it's just

-Mad

Despite having other qualifications, I never list them, even if I am quite proud of them as accomplishments, because it looks pompous
Yeah I think this is the essence of the issue. What a tiny thing to worry about, though I don't know if I want a minority of people to think I am insecure about option 1 or option 2.

Bruh I was there and missed that, was it at KC or Joplin?

KC. I liked the vast majority of people I met, but when I found myself surrounded by a few people bragging about their scribe experience, with one person literally describing her work as "running codes" in the ED, it took a lot within me to smile and nod.

I think what has been said is reasonable, and hearing about the situation, I'd not want to correct the nurse like the student did.

Right now after a year and a half on the forums and thinking about the qualifiers of OMS vs MS (it's not AMS!) I am not sure where to fall. I would be hesitant to drop the O in OMS not to distinguish myself in a positive light for "osteopathic recognition", but to avoid demonstrating that I think I am something I'm not, or haven't earned, an allopathic med student. I don't want to be one of those students that obfuscates the fact that I attend an osteopathic medical school due to a chip on my shoulder or something. At the same time, I am confident that I'll be at similar ability as most other medical students all along the way, and removing the "distinguishing" O in OMS is probably just another step in the right direction towards reducing unwarranted bias.

But I haven't been through any of this yet so I would like to see what actual DO students think about this. For the record, I was surprised that DOs use "OMS" at all when I first started seeing it.

quick fact: MS doesn't mean allopathic medical student. It just means medical student. As an osteopathic medical student you are allowed to do this... you are a medical student. As said above, I only use it when talking to people that drink the koolaid... The OP's colleague is a twit.

quick fact: MS doesn't mean allopathic medical student. It just means medical student. As an osteopathic medical student you are allowed to do this... you are a medical student. As said above, I only use it when talking to people that drink the koolaid... The OP's colleague is a twit.
I suspect that the OP's colleague is going to be one of the True Believers.

Me to every patient:
“Hi I’m Samac. I’m a medical student working with Dr. ____ today. If you don’t care I’ll talk with you for a bit before Dr. _____”
This always works well. I also use my first name. I don’t feel the need to be formal. Thought I know I will on my PE.

I have never used “osteopathic” when talking to a patient. When they ask my school I tell them “Pikeville” since I’m local in Kentucky.

Well if any 'medical student' can use it then I suppose our friends at Bastyr University in 'medical school' might do so as well. Thats about the best reason I can think of to use OMS instead of MS.

Didn’t even know this was something people debated. I’ve always put MS without even thinking.

I swear, some of the **** you guys debate about. If you spent as much time as you did in studying for Step those match lists wouldn’t be so horrendous (half joking).

Reactions: 5 users
The key here, is that instead of circling jerking about how stupid that student is, recognize that you should be fighting for choices in your profession. That student, and also you, earned their rights to use both OMS and MS, and can exercise that rights however they seem fit.

Myself however, will continue to advocate for accrediting DO and MD school under the same LCME....

Honestly, there is probably more OMM-practicing MDs (or some other alternative medicine MD nut cakes) than OMM-practicing DOs

KC. I liked the vast majority of people I met, but when I found myself surrounded by a few people bragging about their scribe experience, with one person literally describing her work as "running codes" in the ED, it took a lot within me to smile and nod.
That's a hoot. I didn't socialize too much on my day tbh. I was kinda spent from apartment hunting. Hoping people are chill

LOL what?? I must've missed this as well. What a shame.

In other news, this thread reminds me of a friend who's an LPN who went back to school to get her RN. They do a whole white coat ceremony for nursing school with their names engraved on their coats and what not and she insisted on having "Her Name, LPN" on her coat :rofl:

I have never once in four years of med school signed an e-mail with (O)MS-IV, let alone mentioning MS, BS, etc. Honestly, I wasn't even aware that it was proper etiquette to do so with admins. The only times I've used that designation were for OSCE SOAP notes and whenever I wrote my name on the board in the OR. I used OMS-IV only because that's what everyone else did. I had no idea that people got touchy about it either way.

While we're at it, I absolutely despise the idea of introducing myself as Student Doctor lastname. I once had a first year medical student introduce himself that way to me (and presumably to the staff as well) when he was shadowing at my rotation site, and it was like bruhhh.

I have never once in four years of med school signed an e-mail with (O)MS-IV, let alone mentioning MS, BS, etc. Honestly, I wasn't even aware that it was proper etiquette to do so with admins. The only times I've used that designation were for OSCE SOAP notes and whenever I wrote my name on the board in the OR. I used OMS-IV only because that's what everyone else did. I had no idea that people got touchy about it either way.

While we're at it, I absolutely despise the idea of introducing myself as Student Doctor lastname. I once had a first year medical student introduce himself that way to me (and presumably to the staff as well) when he was shadowing at my rotation site, and it was like bruhhh.
I just did a 10 second bruh under my breath at work. The cringe is real

I always used OMS. I didnt know any different though. When I did an away elective towards the end of my 4th year and saw people writing MS on the OR board it looked weird to me. I think you should use the OMS and be proud of it. I went to an "allopathic" residency and now work at an "allopathic" medical school at a major medical center. I'm super proud to be a DO. Plus chicks dig OMT.:)

Who the flying eff even cares?

This is why I hate medical students.

Let people make idiots of themselves if they want.

Jesus.

Just want to chime in and say that I find it rather ironic how the same individuals who make fun of others for caring about OMS vs. MS care about titles and the prestige involved with being a doctor (i.e. MD vs. no-MD).

Who the flying eff even cares?

This is why I hate medical students.

Let people make idiots of themselves if they want.

Jesus.

Didn’t mean to trigger you. Sorry, bruh.

Ironically I started a new rotation today. The doctor who normally takes students is out for the week so I’m with another. We go and she introduces me in the first room “This is Samac. She’s a medical student. *Turns to me* wait is that ok to introduce you that way? I mean is that an accurate description? DO Student from Pikeville”
“Medical student is fine”

It's not your fault homie.

I've sadly come to the realization that this type of constant complaining and bickering over the DUMBEST crap is very common amongst my generation of medical students.

It seems like many med students (not saying that you are included in this statement, but if the shoe fits... well... you are more than welcome to wear it) just don't mind their own damn business. Like is it REALLY that hard to shut up and let people do them? EVEN if it makes them look stupid?

I'm not here to be someone's mommy and daddy.

If they couldn't teach a kid how to act in public or amongst superiors and not look like a jack***, that's their fault... not mine... not yours...

Hence why I don't go to class, kick it with any of my classmates, nor do I ever want to see or deal with any of these chumps after graduation.

I'm not triggered... I'm just sayin'...

Let's all learn to shut up... mind our own damn business... and keep it pushin'.

You keep doing your thing and let the weirdo keep doing his.

Yadadamean?

He is also studying for boards right now so take his overreaction with a grain of salt. He’s usually quite entertaining.

He is also studying for boards right now so take his overreaction with a grain of salt. He’s usually quite entertaining.

I'm really not tripping over boards.

I'm just tripping out at the constant complaining over stupid crap that med students think they have control over.