Dropping upper level science course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnvictus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, with that GPA, I would go for the option that doesn't put any more holes in your ship. This means taking the W, having a good explanation for it, etc. Hopefully you do not have a ton of Ws.

Of course, if you're going to go poor with the Fin Aid, that is something to consider. Additionally, I wasn't aware that schools still allow a student to withdraw from a course this late in the semester, and receive only a "W", instead of an "F". Maybe make sure that you indeed will only receive a "W".

Long story short I'm taking a genetics course and I'm doing very poorly in it. aka around C- range. Luckily the lowest exam grade is dropped so I technically have around a C+ right now but I'm feeling very unconfident in bringing that much higher in the exam two days from now.

I'm recovering from a couple of B-s in my intro courses in my three three semesters and even though I've brought the 2.7 sGPA back up to around 3.1 range (with a 3.3 -> 3.5 cGPA) from a strong fourth semester + summer session, the C+ would look extremely ugly.

I'm thinking of requesting a withdrawal and taking it again next semester, but I'll be a half credit below the minimum for financial aid and I need to figure out how a hypothetical withdrawal will affect me.

Should I start to consider taking a W? Or am I being a baby premed lol.

I took a W for one of my courses. You have a reason for the W that makes sense and it's your first one. Id drop it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could it especially count against me if the course is part of my major?

Could it especially count against me if the course is part of my major?

Well, you wouldn't be the first.

You should have a damn good reason, and preferably a retake with a good grade before you apply to alleviate any doubts.

If not, it may hurt, but I honestly can't say how much. All in all, the point is that a lower GPA hurts way more than withdrawing from a major course and retaking it later.