drops/ml

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muse600

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for insurance billing on eye/ear drops, when you're calculating a days supply...how many drops do you calculate per ml?

I always did 20 in school, but some pharmacists told me it's safer to use 15, because some elderly or other patients squeeze the bottle hard and it won't last as long.

Members don't see this ad.

We use 15 for everything at my pharmacy, which is accepted by ins companies and doesn't lead to audits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always done 20 for solutions & 15 for suspensions. Most insurance will accept 15 for both solutions & suspensions, but there are exceptions. There are a couple of insurance in my area requiring 24 drops for certain high priced eyedrops (they do this to ensure that the pt can't get an early refill).

I've always done 20 for solutions & 15 for suspensions. Most insurance will accept 15 for both solutions & suspensions, but there are exceptions. There are a couple of insurance in my area requiring 24 drops for certain high priced eyedrops (they do this to ensure that the pt can't get an early refill).
So if the patient actually only gets 15-20 drops (which is proper), they're running out? What kind of eye drops has this happened on? Hopefully not post-transplant :eek:

We use 15 for everything at my pharmacy, which is accepted by ins companies and doesn't lead to audits.

Supposedly Express Scripts expects 16 drops/ml. :smuggrin: