drug addiction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedical7786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talk about or pretend like it never happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Were you convicted? Why would you bring it up? I don't see a positive result admitting to it in a professional manner...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not on any record. Thanks for advice. I can't see any positives from it :oops:

lol. well i guess it counts as overcoming adversity for that other thread. :D

Dude bring it up and tell them how you want to be just like House M.D.

tackle it and get professional help so that it doesn't jeopardize things in the future. Don't bring it up admissions-wise, but don't sweep it under the rug for your own good...

goodluck

I would keep my mouth closed about this. If it wasn't on your record, it basically never happened.

Unfortunately, our society has put some serious stigma on the issue of drug addiction. I think that others are right that you should not bring it up, however, it is pretty admirable that you were able to overcome that and do well enough in school to apply to med school.

On another note, make sure you have some serious "clean time" before you enter med school (as in, at least a couple years). For one, med school is stressful. Secondly, you will be around drugs, although legal, and at some point you will have the power to prescribe them.

Good Luck

def. talk about it. let em' know how you use to blow down and now you're all better.

It never happened. It's been discussed on here plenty. I suggest figuring out what the underlying issue was that lead to the problem(s). Just saying that you went through "drug addiction", at least to me, looks like a dumbing down of what abuse-related issues. I would talk about the issues and NEVER hint that psychoactives were involved. NEVER
:luck:

Edit:
Clean time might help. If you need to stop thinking about your problems within a drug abuse framework, I would suggest changing your environment. E.g. Changing the people you hang out with, your leisure activities, start reading interesting books, and whatever else you might like. A lot of people I know have turned their lives around by finding new things to do and people to hang out with. They live constructive and happy lives, but they still are involved with at least a couple psychoactives. The point is that even for them a change in environment is all that they needed to get a fresh perspective on their lives and be able to assess their situation well.

Last edited:
Bring it up if you really don't want to go to medical school. On a second thought, if that's the case just send your application fees to me ... I'll process them for you ... yes ...

If you get accepted, as soon as orientation begins, you need to go see your schools counseling dept. I don't care if this addiction was aspirin 10 years ago. You set up a plan w/ a school counselor immediately, and it includes a "check-in" w/ them at least monthly if not weekly.

This can be a very stressful experience, and anyone who knows their weaknesses going in should have a concrete plan for dealing with them before the $hit hits the fan.

It is also possible that your school/hospital has regular group meetings for addiction (think AA but with a broader spectrum of habits) which could also be helpful, irrespective of how long you have been in recovery.

As above, no mention of this during interviews/apps.

im just gonna reiterate what everyone else is saying here.

NO

Me to Adcom: So.. I was homeless, exchanging favors of sorts for cocaine and heroin. It went downhill from there... SIKE!

Hello Premedical7786...
talk about it then only you can able to get over from that...
If you pretend like it never happened...then it is not going to do any good for you.

Drug Rehab

Hello Premedical7786...
talk about it then only you can able to get over from that...
If you pretend like it never happened...then it is not going to do any good for you.

Drug Rehab

This thread is old and I am unable to decipher your comment.
:confused: