Drug test for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awrar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was curious if you needed to take a drug test before going into pharmacy school or not?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends on the school. At MWU-CPG they told me they only do tests as needed.. like if you go on a certain rotation and that place wants you to be tested.

I didn't have to take one for pharmacy school, but virtually all potential internship employers will require one. If a professional student is regularly partaking, that practice should stop immediately. IMO, it's not a question of right v. wrong or legal v. illegal, but one of professional responsibility and accountability - especially in pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love when people as about this. Just maybe that means they're worried they won't pass. If you wouldn't pass a drug test, please think about another career choice.

I don't know of many non-users that ask questions or worry about drug tests. In other words, you incriminate yourself just by asking such a question. I'm sure the next post is going to run along the lines of "no, I was just asking for a friend". Just say no junkie...

Um...maybe it's just my humble opinion but if you're really into drugs, maybe pharmacy just isn't for you. You're an arrest and a bad news story waiting to happen.

Not to defend anyone who is asking this question for the wrong reasons, but I wouldn't be too quick to assume that the OP is asking because they are worried their illegal habit might be discovered. Some people take various prescription drugs that would raise a red flag on a drug test. Sure you can tell them why and pass, but some people would rather not disclose that information depending on what they're taking something for.

Just a thought.

To confirm what the last poster said: I know this is terribly unfair and probably illegal, but - yeah when you get drug tested at a hospital or other healthcare environment they are the ones doing the test, which bypasses the double-blind type security that is usually in place during 3rd party testing. I know at least one person whose privacy was invaded when hospital HR found out about her prescription use of sch.II drugs, and she was later singled out for being "dependent on drugs to do her job". It was probably somebody on a power trip, but, it does happen.

To confirm what the last poster said: I know this is terribly unfair and probably illegal, but - yeah when you get drug tested at a hospital or other healthcare environment they are the ones doing the test, which bypasses the double-blind type security that is usually in place during 3rd party testing. I know at least one person whose privacy was invaded when hospital HR found out about her prescription use of sch.II drugs, and she was later singled out for being "dependent on drugs to do her job". It was probably somebody on a power trip, but, it does happen.

Florida Hospitals are not allowed to conduct their own Drug tests...

They are out-sourced to a third party clinic to conduct the tests. This type of "singled out" theory I have never seen happen. Personally - I have taken at least a hundred drug tests... I have also conducted the tests...

As a word of caution - if you are worried about any prescription that you are taking - there is always a method for privately disclosing what may (or may not) show up. If you fail to do so - and you do show positive for something - it may be too late to clear up the presence of the drug.

Disclose what may show up - dont worry about what people may think - no one you know will ever know about it. On the flip side - if you do fail - everyone will find out - so its your choice.

Last thought - do NOT take illegal drugs and pursue a professional career (unless the career is art or music or acting) - they cannot coexist... It will ruin you, and bring dishonor to our profession.

~above~

Our policy is quite simple, you bring them in and we test them!:cool:

well don't chastise the poor chap for asking a question.

Last edited:
why would you have to stop your medication after pharmacy school starts? If you are legally prescribed the drug then I dont see why you should be forced to take another drug.

unless you are moving to a school outside of California that doesnt have medical marijuana laws in place, and even then I dont agree with forcing a patient off of meds that are working.

I love when people as about this. Just maybe that means they're worried they won't pass. If you wouldn't pass a drug test, please think about another career choice.

Why because they think for themselves and don't adhere to what society tells them to do?

I'm getting really annoyed at all the snobby people around here.

I hope most of the people in pharmacy school aren't like this...

(p.s. I've never done any drug, other than medicine:laugh: )

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I didn't think I'd get these types of responses but ok. Thanks to the people who answered the question and to those that jump down my throat preaching their beliefs, get a life.

Why because they think for themselves and don't adhere to what society tells them to do?

Jack555

It's pretty funny how people view recreational drug users as idiots. Some of the smartest people I have met are frequent cocaine users. I personally have never done any drugs;), but to each his own.

204_mkaymackey.JPG

I don't think my brain will ever be able to comprehend the stigma given to marijuana. I can get drunk every night and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and not have a problem but somehow marijuana is dramatically different and signifies I'm gonna filch narcotics from my place of employment.

I tried it once, not my cup of tea, but I'll always be amused about how one form of intoxication is acceptable and another makes you untrustworthy. I can understand though not wanting to employ someone who's testing positive for prescription painkillers that they don't have a prescription for... clearly going to be a serious issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think my brain will ever be able to comprehend the stigma given to marijuana. I can get drunk every night and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and not have a problem but somehow marijuana is dramatically different and signifies I'm gonna filch narcotics from my place of employment.

I tried it once, not my cup of tea, but I'll always be amused about how one form of intoxication is acceptable and another makes you untrustworthy. I can understand though not wanting to employ someone who's testing positive for prescription painkillers that they don't have a prescription for... clearly going to be a serious issue.

And then there are those deemed either high and mighty, uptight, or boring as all get out (and sometimes hypocritical), that think all forms of intoxication are bad.

During your fourth year when you begin clinical externships, you will be working in direct patient care at a healthcare facility somewhere. :scared: They will probably require you as an extern to submit to the dreaded pre-employment drug screen. :mad: If you are already taking a medicine that has a narcotic in it or if it is a benzo, tell them before you piss! :laugh: Show them the prescription on the botttle the medicine came in.:p Whatever you do, don't test positive for anything illegal. :eek: We have our respectability and prestige to worry about as registered pharmacists.;)

Mike

and dont eat any poppy seed bagels on the way!:laugh:

Drug testing has nothing to do with what is right or wrong... Legality is a socially controlled norm - and as a professional in that society - you have to conform.

Patch Adams didn't - they made a great movie out of the story. Breaking the the stigma of "being a capable and competent prescriber of narcotics while being an avid illegal user" would just be a bad front page story.

A positive drug test would just get you black listed. Truthfully, I dont see anything with Marijuana being worse than Alcohol abuse - but it doesn't matter - because we dont make the laws.

And as previously stated... AVOID Poppy seeds!!!

~above~

Um...maybe it's just my humble opinion but if you're really into drugs, maybe pharmacy just isn't for you. You're an arrest and a bad news story waiting to happen.

I don't know of many non-users that ask questions or worry about drug tests. In other words, you incriminate yourself just by asking such a question. I'm sure the next post is going to run along the lines of "no, I was just asking for a friend". Just say no junkie...

Enough of the saviors of the pharmacy profession. When someone asks a question, how about just answering it without calling someone a junkie or telling them to switch careers. You people really disgust me, just answer the damn question and stop taking any opportunity you get to disrespect someone.

I don't really care if recreational drug use is ultimately right or wrong. I care about the harm that someone who uses them could do to the profession when they end up on the front page. I'd personally like to see things like medical marijuana, but guess what....weed is illegal almost everywhere. As part of a respected profession you need to respect the law, if you agree with it or not.

I don't really care if recreational drug use is ultimately right or wrong. I care about the harm that someone who uses them could do to the profession when they end up on the front page. I'd personally like to see things like medical marijuana, but guess what....weed is illegal almost everywhere. As part of a respected profession you need to respect the law, if you agree with it or not.

I don't think a pharmacist being caught smoking pot would harm our profession but even if it did I wouldn't care. The guy wouldn't have done anything wrong (morally, not legally; obviously he did something legally wrong)

I don't think a pharmacist being caught smoking pot would harm our profession but even if it did I wouldn't care. The guy wouldn't have done anything wrong (morally, not legally; obviously he did something legally wrong)

Apparently you don't know much about current happenings in the medical field. Drug abuse by health care professionals has become a bigger issue, and we don't need anymore people contributing to the problem.

Enough of the saviors of the pharmacy profession. When someone asks a question, how about just answering it without calling someone a junkie or telling them to switch careers. You people really disgust me, just answer the damn question and stop taking any opportunity you get to disrespect someone.

I agree with you 100% on that...

Medical marijuana maybe "legal" in Califonia under state law, however under federal law marijuana is still illegal.

And, speaking only for myself, I think marijuana should be legalized. But even if it were legal, pharmacists would still be subject to the same limitations that apply to alcohol abuse - get caught, get disciplined. It happens all the time to pharmacists with respect to alcohol-centered DUI and drunken behavior.

For the present - since recreational drug use is illegal and employment depends on abstinence, I only suggest that a user entering the pharmacy profession put a stop to the practice. I'll trust life to drive the point home.

just stop smoking reefer a couple months before you have to go to school. If your worried that you can't stop, perhaps because you perfer harder drugs, then you should reevatuate how much effort you put into getting in to these schools and prepahrm etc.. but otherwise - just smoke your last couple of joints, put on your favorite record and say goodbye to all of that...its just not worth the risk...its the rest of your life your gambling with. i dont mean to preech, but its never worth it.

If you can't figure out how to pass a pee test-you shouldn't be a pharmacist.

Around here where I live, you don't need a drug test to be admitted into the school. HOWEVER, you will be tested for certain illegal drugs when you start your internship/clinical rotations. If you don't pass it, you'll fail and possibly be kicked out of the pharmacy school. That's pretty much from the book in fine print.

since you guys are allready talking about this..... do you guys have any idea what to do to pass a background check? like if you have a misdemeanor on file from something stupid that you did in your younger years..... will this affect rotations?

The background check is more of an integrity test. They give you a chance to disclose everything, now they want to see if you are truthful.

Just make sure you don't have any "real" felonies.

since you guys are allready talking about this..... do you guys have any idea what to do to pass a background check? like if you have a misdemeanor on file from something stupid that you did in your younger years..... will this affect rotations?

As long as its not something big and your fully disclosed what it was prior to the check you'll be fine.

what if it's a misdemeanor dui that was dropped to a reckless driving and a fleeing and eluding a cop felony that was dropped completely? No convinction on the felonly....

what if it's a misdemeanor dui that was dropped to a reckless driving and a fleeing and eluding a cop felony that was dropped completely? No convinction on the felonly....

Well I would look at the question carefully when you filll out your apps. Most schools asked if you were ever convicted on a felony..(not misdemeanor)...well either way when they do a background check.. theyre gonna see it.. i think they only ask cuz the felony/misdemeanor may affect you in getting your license anyways..

I think you will be fine as long as it wasn't something like you got caught with possession of narcotics with intent to sale...then you would be ****ed worse than then a 5 year old boy at MJ's Neverland ranch....I know I know already, I'm gonna never hear the end of it for that comment....is it just me, or does it seem like the majority of the people who post on this forum are a bit uppity and self-righteous?

I think you will be fine as long as it wasn't something like you got caught with possession of narcotics with intent to sale...then you would be ****ed worse than then a 5 year old boy at MJ's Neverland ranch....I know I know already, I'm gonna never hear the end of it for that comment....is it just me, or does it seem like the majority of the people who post on this forum are a bit uppity and self-righteous?

That is an understatement about some of the people. I don't understand why people can't take a joke half the time and start calling everyone a troll. For your sake, hopefully they are all going to Touro. :laugh:

Apparently you don't know much about current happenings in the medical field. Drug abuse by health care professionals has become a bigger issue, and we don't need anymore people contributing to the problem.

Well it's all debatable situations. How do we define drug abuse? Can we put recreational drug use and drug abuse in the same category? It's kinda analogous to somebody who goes to a bar and drinks a beer once a week, and somebody who is just an outright alcoholic. I personally think if maryJ is used as a treat, one will not get caught...and it most certainly would not turn one into a junkie...

AHHAHA wow a lot of these replies. Why are all you future pharmacists so quick to judge others? Jumping to your own conclusions and telling them that they might be going into the wrong career???
puhlease, everyone needs to take a chill pill. They're just asking a question, so just answer it.

AHHAHA wow a lot of these replies. Why are all you future pharmacists so quick to judge others? Jumping to your own conclusions and telling them that they might be going into the wrong career???
puhlease, everyone needs to take a chill pill. They're just asking a question, so just answer it.

Lol, I don't think that anyone who replied cares, since this was 5 years ago and all.

compound some chill pills, take two, then call me in the morning lol

seriously, I don't understand how people who work around drugs all day and dispense them to people who [as far as they know] need them can be so judgy? sheesh...

Lol, I don't think that anyone who replied cares, since this was 5 years ago and all.

Lmao.... I was reading this thread, taking it all in and thinking about tossing in my two cents...... then realized the thread is a half a decade old. It should be deleted. Even the concerned reckless driver already graduated.

I'd bet the judge-y people that have graduated are working in pharmacies and refuse to dispense plan B :rolleyes:

I'd bet the judge-y people that have graduated are working in pharmacies and refuse to dispense plan B :rolleyes:

I'd think they'd be more likely. People who need plan B generally fall into 2 categories: people whose plan A failed and people you don't want to see having kids. These 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive.