Drug Use & Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHillCrew

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know of any pharmacy students that take prescription meds to ease the anxiety and stress of school? What kinds of meds do they take?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, alcohol. I knew of a few girls who had xanax or a valium prescription.

If you can't handle the heat get the out of the kitchen and head to the bar! In all seriousness, if you need to be medicated to handle the stress of pharmacy school, maybe some life changes are in order......

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree, the desire and the will to be in pharmacy school should be your so called drug. after all you are going for a doctorate, it is not for just anybody who wants to go on a whim.

Besides how ******ed can one be; abusing prescription drugs and becoming a pharmacist does not seem like a good combination. That has failure written all over it. As a pharmacist, you are supposed to prevent addiction if you see it, not support your own.

I thought the thread creator was talking about having a prescription for meds. nothing wrong with that. So would you tell your patients, if you need to be medicated to handle your life, maybeyou should just change your life.

Liquor and benzodiazepines galore. I didn't need any drugs because I used the best treatment modality there is....I stopped caring about my grades....

I had a friend that went on beta-blockers because of test anxiety/general anxiety after the first month of pharmacy school. He said that he felt like his "heart was leaping out of his chest" sometimes. He only took them for a couple of months though, and he says that he's fine now. And I know one girl that takes benzos occasionally, but she's high-strung normally.

Probably the worst thing I see? Excess alcohol consumption. :hardy:

I love the people with "Class of 2011" giving opinions on the stress involved with Pharmacy School. Hahahahahahah. Not that your opinions are necessarily bad or incorrect, but how can they be valid without logging a day in pharmacy school yet? Telling people to "get out of the kitchen" before walking into it yourself cracks me up inside.

Why are students who haven't even STARTED pharmacy school critizing people who've been going there for a couple of years?

Seriously, why would you do that. I'll tell you what makes a bad pharmacist: Speaking about something which you know nothing about. Get out of that habit.

I love the people with "Class of 2011" giving opinions on the stress involved with Pharmacy School. Hahahahahahah. Not that your opinions are necessarily bad or incorrect, but how can they be valid without logging a day in pharmacy school yet? Telling people to "get out of the kitchen" before walking into it yourself cracks me up inside.

So true, I am cracking up over here.

I love the people with "Class of 2011" giving opinions on the stress involved with Pharmacy School.
LOL, good point. On a similar note, can the class of 2011 even say they are PharmD candidates yet? I think of that as the point at which you've passed all the classroom stuff and are out on rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry, but if you have to take drugs to get through pharmacy school, then something is not right. Pharmacy school is tough yes, but there is no reason to take drugs for stress or anxiety. Stress and anxiety is something almost all go through when in rx school. I had tough times in school and would work out 3-4 times a week and excercise to help me get through it. I consumed alcohol a bit during Rx school but more socially rather than stress. I think you're setting yourself up for disaster if you start takeing benzos or what not. Just my 2 cents.

Dr.M

Why are students who haven't even STARTED pharmacy school critizing people who've been going there for a couple of years?

Seriously, why would you do that. I'll tell you what makes a bad pharmacist: Speaking about something which you know nothing about. Get out of that habit.

Just to set the record straight I graduated in 2004 from U at Buffalo SOP:)

I thought the thread creator was talking about having a prescription for meds. nothing wrong with that. So would you tell your patients, if you need to be medicated to handle your life, maybeyou should just change your life.

Um, in my opinion, the best prescription for stress and anxiety is excercise DUE TO STRESS from SCHOOL. It is normal to feel overwhelmed in school, i felt that way too. But please, that feeling goes away after the exams are over or you graduate. Then real life begins. The patients that come in are sometimes so emotionally disturbed thay they cannot function without these medications. I think your comparing of patients to anxiety from school is a bit off. Now if you are a student with an anxiety disorder or what not, then okay, you had a pre-existing condition. Anyway, the day I graduated Rx school, was a relief and my anxiety from tests and presentations was gone. Just my 2 cents and it's just my opinion! Take care

Dr. M

LOL, good point. On a similar note, can the class of 2011 even say they are PharmD candidates yet? I think of that as the point at which you've passed all the classroom stuff and are out on rotations.

I've also always been taught that technically you aren't a PharmD candidate until you've completed all your didactic work.

Um, in my opinion, the best prescription for stress and anxiety is excercise DUE TO STRESS from SCHOOL. It is normal to feel overwhelmed in school, i felt that way too. But please, that feeling goes away after the exams are over or you graduate. Then real life begins. The patients that come in are sometimes so emotionally disturbed thay they cannot function without these medications. I think your comparing of patients to anxiety from school is a bit off. Now if you are a student with an anxiety disorder or what not, then okay, you had a pre-existing condition. Anyway, the day I graduated Rx school, was a relief and my anxiety from tests and presentations was gone. Just my 2 cents and it's just my opinion! Take care

Dr. M

I've seen pharmacy students on BZDs, SSRI's, effexor, sedative/hypnotics, stimulants, and a bunch of other stuff. People handle stress very differently. We spend our time learning about medications and not to be too judgemental. If someone needs these medications I see no problem with them using it. It is no different than anyone else handling a stressful time in their life. Anxiety from school is still real anxiety.

I think that's how we do it to...you can only call yourself a doctoral candidate when you are on rotations. I don't use it though...I just call myself a pharmacy student.

Adderall is a drug of choice in my school. Students use it for concentration as well as weight loss.

I've seen pharmacy students on BZDs, SSRI's, effexor, sedative/hypnotics, stimulants, and a bunch of other stuff. People handle stress very differently. We spend our time learning about medications and not to be too judgemental. If someone needs these medications I see no problem with them using it. It is no different than anyone else handling a stressful time in their life. Anxiety from school is still real anxiety.

Um, okay, i can see anti-depressants but hypnotics and stimulants? Yes we all handle stress differently, but I still believe hypnotics (benzos) and stimulants have little place in a pharmacy students life. Anxiety from school is still anxiety, yes; take a benadryl at night, excercise, go out on the weekends etc, but benzos and stimulants? Why take adderall to study? To me, if you aren't ADHD and you take stimualnts to study, there is something wrong. Call me ignorant, call me judgemental, but a lot of my close friends and myself got through the anxiety and stress w/o drugs; again, we had no pre-existing conditions, so our stress was relieved after the ordeal was over. And no, i do not judge my patients by the meds they are on. I guess i believe that you should know what your getting yourself into by going to a professional level school. Anxiety and stress will be a part of your life for 4 years. Deal with it. It's only temporary. I plan on going to med school for 2009 or 2010 year. I imagine my stress levels will be at an all-time high, but i will not turn to drugs. Just my 2 cents and again just my opinion:):)

Dr. M

i agree, the desire and the will to be in pharmacy school should be your so called drug. after all you are going for a doctorate, it is not for just anybody who wants to go on a whim.

Besides how ******ed can one be; abusing prescription drugs and becoming a pharmacist does not seem like a good combination. That has failure written all over it. As a pharmacist, you are supposed to prevent addiction if you see it, not support your own.

The OP never said anything about abusing prescription drugs. He merely stated "take" the drug. I will reiterate that I do not believe students should use these types of drugs. Once your start, you will need them. That doesn't mean you are abusing the drug, but it will become difficult to get off the drug (benzo's and anti-depressants).

Dr. M

Amphetamine prophylaxis. If you are too busy concentrating, you don't have time to worry...and by the time it wears off, you memorized so much crap that you have nothing to worry about....at least that's my theory.

but benzos and stimulants? Why take adderall to study? To me, if you aren't ADHD and you take stimualnts to study, there is something wrong.

People love the stimulants to study. I remember when the ephedrine, caffeine, ginseng stacks were still available and people were using Ripped Fuel and the like to study for exams.

Well, if we are talking about abusing for fun, then i would go with alcohol and probably marijuana, but I am sure this is the same for the whole population regardless of what school you are in.

For school purposes, i would say adderall, and then benzo's and beta blockers.

For general personal health it would be antidepressants.

Alot of you seem very judgemental about this. My school could be different from everyone elses, but to me those of you that really dissagree seem really nerdy and probably not cool. This just comes from my experiences in school and knowing alot of people on alot of different things. People that don't socialize or hang out with others generally don't find this information out and live in a niave world. I am not saying taking stuff is right, but lord alot of people could have anxiety disorders or need antidepressants. its not that uncommon.

One girl even had insulin, I think she was abusing it to keep her glucose in check so she could study.

chill out and don't worry so much about grades....it's college, not the end of the world. if you get a bad grade, go back to your professor, figure out what you did wrong, learn something.

grades are not that important, your sanity is....relax!

One girl even had insulin, I think she was abusing it to keep her glucose in check so she could study.

What a weak minded girl. I always say, if you can't keep your glycemic state under control, get out of the kitchen. I believe everyone should just exercise to keep their glucose straight, that's what I always do. Sounds like this young lady is just taking the easy way out, and probably deserves to be expelled. Pharmacy schools really need to start drug testing.

What a weak minded girl. I always say, if you can't keep your glycemic state under control, get out of the kitchen. I believe everyone should just exercise to keep their glucose straight, that's what I always do. Sounds like this young lady is just taking the easy way out, and probably deserves to be expelled. Pharmacy schools really need to start drug testing.

AHHAHAH. Best post of the thread.

Well, if we are talking about abusing for fun, then i would go with alcohol and probably marijuana, but I am sure this is the same for the whole population regardless of what school you are in.

For school purposes, i would say adderall, and then benzo's and beta blockers.

For general personal health it would be antidepressants.

Alot of you seem very judgemental about this. My school could be different from everyone elses, but to me those of you that really dissagree seem really nerdy and probably not cool. This just comes from my experiences in school and knowing alot of people on alot of different things. People that don't socialize or hang out with others generally don't find this information out and live in a niave world. I am not saying taking stuff is right, but lord alot of people could have anxiety disorders or need antidepressants. its not that uncommon.

:bullcrap: Thats ignorant. I think I am done on this topic. I have to go to work and PRACTICE Pharmacy:D Good day

Dr. M

chill out and don't worry so much about grades....it's college, not the end of the world. if you get a bad grade, go back to your professor, figure out what you did wrong, learn something.

grades are not that important, your sanity is....relax!

Agreed 100%. No need to have an MI and a breakdown, you'll get through the program. A lot of students dropped out or got kicked out because all they did was party, yes alcohol and drugs:). Anyway, i wish all of you good luck on your studies.

Dr. M

My original post never said anything about abusing drugs. I simply wanted to know if anyone knows anybody that legally used drugs in a responsible manner to ease the stress of school. Nothing illegal, not abusing anything.

My original post never said anything about abusing drugs. I simply wanted to know if anyone knows anybody that legally used drugs in a responsible manner to ease the stress of school. Nothing illegal, not abusing anything.

agreed, but unfortunately the hypnotics, as you know very well, are addicting. Go ahead, take them legally, ease your anxiety, but have fun getting off of them. I am merely stating that you can get through pharmacy school w/o taking these meds. Yes, school can be depressing and you may feel like there is no end in sight, but trust me, the day will come when you will be finished and you will look back and say "that wasn't so bad"! Even taking anti-depressants will have rebound effects. Trust me, I am not pasing judgement on anyone who takes these medication, but you asked a question and my answer is simply "you dont need meds to get through pharmacy school". You don't need to abuse drugs to become dependent. Anyway, good luck on your studies.

Dr. M

Man I was going to post this.

I abuse Starbucks. Does that count as a drug? It darn well should.

The comment "get out of the kitchen and head to the bar" was meant to be taken light heartedly, emphasis on the "head to the bar" part so settle down...

If validity of my comments and opinions are based upon "logging a day in
pharmacy school" I guess in your eyes my comments are valid, I am "logging" days in pharmacy school this summer, taking pharmacy course sequence this summer in an accelerated fashion to lighten the load for next year and because I had nothing to do this summer.

Let me tell you I will not be cracking up inside until I get your stamp of approval on all this.....;)

And I do believe if you enter into something new and it drives you to the point where you need to be medicated then it might be a good idea to see if there is anything you can do in your life to help the situation do not rely only on the medication.

In my opinion that is universal in life, and pharmacy school falls under universal so..........maybe it was valid , but who knows....

12345 -" So would you tell your patients, if you need to be medicated to handle your life, maybeyou should just change your life."

Is that what I said? The OP was asking for opinions so I gave mine, I didn't say I was going to attack patients need for medication, only fostering the idea that there are other solutions. My question back to you...Are you going to blinding dispense to your patients and not try to offer advice and solutions that could help better their lives?

Wouldn't she want to stay in the kitchen in case she needs a quick bite to eat?....Maybe I have not logged enough days yet to understand huh?:laugh:

Did she like giving herself the shaky-dizzies with a side of potential coma? If you don't have diabetes, you have to be a complete ****** to inject yourself with insulin. Hell, it doesn't even make sense from a performance enhancing standpoint. Maybe if it was glucagon...

I abuse Starbucks. Does that count as a drug? It darn well should.

Me too! I've "detoxed" 3 times - 2 pregnancies & one time just because I thought I should. I thought I would die - truely die. It lasts 5 days - the first 3 are awful.

I'm back on caffeine - I've been "on" it since I was about 19. Ah well - my bp is normal & I don't get the "jitters" - just a huge (like a ntg) headache if I don't have a cup once per day. I just like it.....

Heard that before - haven't 'ya.....;)

Wouldn't she want to stay in the kitchen in case she needs a quick bite to eat?....Maybe I have not logged enough days yet to understand huh?:laugh:

Ahhhhhh, thank you for setting me straight. Those summer classes are paying off undoubtedly. Not only can you offer cutting edge advice on life in general, but you can also offer your expertise on pathophysiology. Someone get this guy his PharmD already!!

I am merely stating that you can get through pharmacy school w/o taking these meds.
Do you tell all your patients they can get through life without these meds?

Do you tell all your patients they can get through life without these meds?

I was once a pharmacy student at a top school, tough program, and yes I had anxiety and yes I went to my doc with my ailments. But I got through the program drug free and it is possible. So I merely stating my opinion that you can get through school drug free. An no, i do not pass judgement on my patients when they take these meds. Pharmacy school is temporary, major depressive order is a bit different from an infectious disease test. So please compare apples to apples. Thanks

Dr. M

Drug dealer,
I might also add that when you practice under your own license you will scrutinize and look at profiles alot more than when you are an intern. I look at every cii and controlled substance very carefully and look to see if it appropriate for the patient. Not every rx the doc writes is legit or appropriate. So while I do not tell my patients they can live w/o the meds, I have turned down rx's when they were not appropriate. Anyways, take care.

Dr. M

pharmacy school" I guess in your eyes my comments are valid, I am "logging" days in pharmacy school this summer, taking pharmacy course sequence this summer in an accelerated fashion to lighten the load for next year and because I had nothing to do this summer.

The yet to be actually P1, balls to the walls gunner speaks!!!

Don't use meds, use fiery determination to smoke your classmates academically RRRAWWRR. :p

P.S. This thread was about pharmacy school. Not a basic science class in the summer. You're still missing the point as to what this was about.

The comment "get out of the kitchen and head to the bar" was meant to be taken light heartedly, emphasis on the "head to the bar" part so settle down...

Let me tell you I will not be cracking up inside until I get your stamp of approval on all this.....;)

And I do believe if you enter into something new and it drives you to the point where you need to be medicated then it might be a good idea to see if there is anything you can do in your life to help the situation do not rely only on the medication.

In my opinion that is universal in life, and pharmacy school falls under universal so..........maybe it was valid , but who knows....

12345 -" So would you tell your patients, if you need to be medicated to handle your life, maybeyou should just change your life."

Is that what I said? The OP was asking for opinions so I gave mine, I didn't say I was going to attack patients need for medication, only fostering the idea that there are other solutions. My question back to you...Are you going to blinding dispense to your patients and not try to offer advice and solutions that could help better their lives?

No not blindly dispense, but I am not going to offer other options outside of medication because it is beyond my scope of training. I might ask how do you feel your medication is working for you, are you experiencing any side effects etc and offer information on other meds. I am not going to say, see a therapist or break up with your crazy boyfriend or girlfriend, or just suck it up your life isn't that bad.

Hey, we were all P1s at one point. I remember thinking I was all special and knew all about pharmacy school, too. And, sadly...now I know I ain't **** and pharmacy school sucked way more ass than I imagined.

Eh.

i know this is directed at me. So i will give it a shot. I know that i have really not learned anything yet, but with everything else that i have done in my life i understand that this will not be easy. Just like graduating from college was no walk in the park, there are going to be times where pharm school will be the same way. That being said, you are right i am blind to the truth of what pharmacy school is really like.

However my response is based on morality and not personal experience. As a drug store company, would you like to know the very people that should be protecting prescription drug abuse are also part of the problem? Which also probably gives rise to higher drug costs. As a student, would you like to know another is taking something that could possibly enhance their performance? Or as someone who wants to be in pharm school but didn't get in, knowing that there are weak minded individuals that abuse drugs, when they wouldn't? How about your family, future wife, kids knowing that your career could be in jepardy, because if i was in charge i know i would not appreciate knowing that my pharmacists are abusing prescription medication.

You know, you are right, i don't have a lot of pharmacy school experience. But don't treat me like i am ignorant, idealistic and oblivious. i see people taking meds as a cop out, they are looking for the easy way out. You are no better then the guy buying 300 dollars worth of hydrocodone. After all, i do hold a degree, which ironically, due to the way pharmacy schools are set up, is more then a lot of people can say. What my education so far has taught me is to have morals and a good head on my shoulders. Sorry that i hold other fortunate souls who got in to the same standards. I know for UB that for every one that they accepted, 3 were interviewed, and about 15 applications were reviewed, if you aren't serious about it, there are others who would love to take your spot.

i know this is directed at me. So i will give it a shot. I know that i have really not learned anything yet, but with everything else that i have done in my life i understand that this will not be easy. Just like graduating from college was no walk in the park, there are going to be times where pharm school will be the same way. That being said, you are right i am blind to the truth of what pharmacy school is really like.

However my response is based on morality and not personal experience. As a drug store company, would you like to know the very people that should be protecting prescription drug abuse are also part of the problem? Which also probably gives rise to higher drug costs. As a student, would you like to know another is taking something that could possibly enhance their performance? Or as someone who wants to be in pharm school but didn't get in, knowing that there are weak minded individuals that abuse drugs, when they wouldn't? How about your family, future wife, kids knowing that your career could be in jepardy, because if i was in charge i know i would not appreciate knowing that my pharmacists are abusing prescription medication.

You know, you are right, i don't have a lot of pharmacy school experience. But don't treat me like i am ignorant, idealistic and oblivious. i see people taking meds as a cop out, they are looking for the easy way out. You are no better then the guy buying 300 dollars worth of hydrocodone. After all, i do hold a degree, which ironically, due to the way pharmacy schools are set up, is more then a lot of people can say. What my education so far has taught me is to have morals and a good head on my shoulders. Sorry that i hold other fortunate souls who got in to the same standards. I know for UB that for every one that they accepted, 3 were interviewed, and about 15 applications were reviewed, if you aren't serious about it, there are others who would love to take your spot.

Well, you gave it a shot. However, you are still missing the boat in my opinion, as you insist upon speaking about prescription drug abuse when that is in no way what the conversation is about. Maybe that is what your conversation is about, but it is not how I interpreted the opening of this thread. To me, it seems that some of you are so judgemental, that you could never objectively look at a situation and come to a rational conclusion, which is a prerequisite to being a good pharmacist.

Scenario time: a second year pharmacy student is coming up on finals week, and because he/she is so worried about getting through what most consider the toughest part of a college's curriculum, can't seem to get any sleep. She goes to her primary care provider, explains the situation, and they agree that stressful situations in life tend to be one of the biggest causes of insomnia. The physician tells the patient that she can try diphenhydramine or doxylamine, and the student says that they just do not get the job done. Finally, the physician and student decide a short course of lorazepam might be in order to help with sleep/anxiety.

The student walks into your pharmacy, and upon finding out this patient is a pharmacy student, what do you do? Tell the patient she should be getting high on life or pharmacy school and refuse to fill? Tell him/her to go exercise it off or suck it up? I don't know, I would probably empathize with them, give them some information on sleep hygiene, counsel them on the proper use of benzodiazepines, and ask her to call or come back in within a few days and let me know how things turn out. But that's just me.

To you, this patient is a danger to the public? Is lacking morals? Should be removed from pharmacy school because they just couldn't handle it? Please. Maybe I am missing something, but I think you are just failing to grasp what the original poster was asking about. I am sure there are posts to follow explaining that this situation is not what you were talking about, but I would assert to you that that is exactly what this thread is about.

Well, you gave it a shot. However, you are still missing the boat in my opinion, as you insist upon speaking about prescription drug abuse when that is in no way what the conversation is about. Maybe that is what your conversation is about, but it is not how I interpreted the opening of this thread. To me, it seems that some of you are so judgemental, that you could never objectively look at a situation and come to a rational conclusion, which is a prerequisite to being a good pharmacist.

Scenario time: a second year pharmacy student is coming up on finals week, and because he/she is so worried about getting through what most consider the toughest part of a college's curriculum, can't seem to get any sleep. She goes to her primary care provider, explains the situation, and they agree that stressful situations in life tend to be one of the biggest causes of insomnia. The physician tells the patient that she can try diphenhydramine or doxylamine, and the student says that they just do not get the job done. Finally, the physician and student decide a short course of lorazepam might be in order to help with sleep/anxiety.

The student walks into your pharmacy, and upon finding out this patient is a pharmacy student, what do you do? Tell the patient she should be getting high on life or pharmacy school and refuse to fill? Tell him/her to go exercise it off or suck it up? I don't know, I would probably empathize with them, give them some information on sleep hygiene, counsel them on the proper use of benzodiazepines, and ask her to call or come back in within a few days and let me know how things turn out. But that's just me.

To you, this patient is a danger to the public? Is lacking morals? Should be removed from pharmacy school because they just couldn't handle it? Please. Maybe I am missing something, but I think you are just failing to grasp what the original poster was asking about. I am sure there are posts to follow explaining that this situation is not what you were talking about, but I would assert to you that that is exactly what this thread is about.

And so because they had trouble sleeping once, who is to say it won't happen again and again. What seems to be a noble cause in helping someone sleep around finals time, could happen more and more. First it starts with using it for finals, then regular exams, then quizzes. This is not a slippery slope that i am going down, this is an all too real situation that occurs many times over. So where do you draw the line? When Sally P2 starts coming in more and more for the same drug? What do you do then, empathize, feel sorry for her, because what started as a noble cause ended in abuse. Do you still dispense? Do you think that Sally will do the mature thing and not abuse?

In regards to the OP's post, I don't think it was not fair to say that i am missing something. If you have a prescription for something, great. Don't abuse it. If your doctor feels you need it and you feel you need it, then fine. But take heed to abuse. And really in my interpretation i feel that the OP is looking for the justification of taking these medications. Try to understand what can be used without seeming out of the ordinary. Can i extrapolate that that means being abusive? It is not out of the question. Am I out in left field on this one? Not really. Someone as open minded as yourself should be able to see that this is plausible.

And maybe i am a little bit jaded because i think to myself and realize people have been going through graduate schools for hundreds of years and did it without the aids that can be prescribed today. While there are biochemical reasons for having insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, so on and so forth, do you have to always take medication to treat them? I don't think so. I think that there are many things that a person can do before truely resorting to medication. Find a hobby to relax yourself. Walk away, associate with friends.

I understand what you are saying. There are instances where it is socially acceptable to take them. But one has to draw the line where it is and isn't acceptable. Abuse is an all too real thing that needs to be addressed here. What defines abuse? I defined it, in a way you've defined it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.