Drug Use & Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While there are biochemical reasons for having insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, so on and so forth, do you have to always take medication to treat them? I don't think so.

I know that this probably isn't what you really meant, but why the !@!@*(& are you going to pharmacy school if you think that people that need medication shouldn't take it? Just because something is a neurological/behavioral problem (as opposed to something that is "measurable" like cholesterol) doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Not everyone on benzos abuses them. Not everyone on ADHD meds is trying to get high. Some people have a real need for these meds and use them safely in a way that improves their quality of life. I bet that you think that anyone on antidepressants should just "get over it" and be happier.

I really think that most of you that are saying "man up and exercise," have never known anyone with psychological problems. That, or you're buying into the social stigma of psychiatry that is, well, ******ed. And that will make you a poor pharmacist if you're judging people already.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I have family members with bipolar disorder. The fact that there are medications out there that will help them on manic days (my mom will go out and spend over $1000 without even thinking about it) and depressive days (My sis will drink two bottles of wine to feel better) is awesome. I'm very lucky that I don't have their problem, but I sympathize with them and know that this disease isn't something that they can just shake off.

Plus, seriously. The original poster was not asking about drug abuse at all. Just wondering if pharm students used anything to help themselves.

(I know that I'll probably regret posting this, but it really gets me when a) people without a lot of experience give advice and b) pharmacists (or anyone for that manner) demonize psychological problems)

Members don't see this ad.

And so because they had trouble sleeping once, who is to say it won't happen again and again. What seems to be a noble cause in helping someone sleep around finals time, could happen more and more. First it starts with using it for finals, then regular exams, then quizzes. This is not a slippery slope that i am going down, this is an all too real situation that occurs many times over. So where do you draw the line? When Sally P2 starts coming in more and more for the same drug? What do you do then, empathize, feel sorry for her, because what started as a noble cause ended in abuse. Do you still dispense? Do you think that Sally will do the mature thing and not abuse?

In regards to the OP's post, I don't think it was not fair to say that i am missing something. If you have a prescription for something, great. Don't abuse it. If your doctor feels you need it and you feel you need it, then fine. But take heed to abuse. And really in my interpretation i feel that the OP is looking for the justification of taking these medications. Try to understand what can be used without seeming out of the ordinary. Can i extrapolate that that means being abusive? It is not out of the question. Am I out in left field on this one? Not really. Someone as open minded as yourself should be able to see that this is plausible.

Certainly I see that the scenarios you present are plausible, but I have the mental dexterity and objectivity to treat each patient and instance as an individual one. You, on the other hand, seem to have some preprogrammed notion that almost forces you to pass judgement. That really disturbs me, and this is not a good quality for a future pharmacist to possess. A pharmacist always has to be prudent and make sure a patient is using a prescription medication that is appropriate and based on a legitimate practitioner-patient relationship. What you and others are posting about is assuming people are on this "slippery slope" from the moment they walk into the pharmacy with the initial prescription. Or maybe they should go jog it off and sweat that depression/anxiety/attention disorder/etc. out of their central nervous systems.

While there are biochemical reasons for having insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, so on and so forth, do you have to always take medication to treat them? I don't think so. I think that there are many things that a person can do before truely resorting to medication. Find a hobby to relax yourself. Walk away, associate with friends.

If somebody is coming in more and more for Xanax, you put them on an SSRI or SSNERI to try to act as a prophylactic-ish measure. Use of benzos for anxiety isn't a shady or unwarranted thing to do. Pharmacy school is very, very stressful. Don't judge people. My wife was put on Xanax for two months as she was weaned onto Zoloft because she developed a nasty case of GAD during her second year of pharmacy school. And, yes, the Xanax was warranted. She couldn't operate without it.

Members don't see this ad :)
and i think many of you are reading me all wrong. Sorry that this has not come out properly, but i am viewing this as a fellow classmate, not as a patient-pharmacist relationship. I merely question and am very skeptical about students on prescription medications that assist them. Like any of you are so ignorant to wonder why a person may be paying full price for a prescription of hydrocodone. Being skeptical is an essential tool to have. There is no such thing as world peace. That is all. As a pharmacist, i try not to pass judement or discriminate people based in any way shape or form.

about psych problems, i agree that medication does help. But i don't think many people are seeing what i am saying. Its acceptable to take them. But also sometimes people need to go beyond popping a pill. Medication therapy is not the only cure. And many times people are looking for that miracle cure, there may be another way to cure that.

i know that person X is taking Y for a certain reason, and their reason may or may not be justified. As a pharmacist i know that, and whether it is or not is not the issue. i think i am being misunderstood. but then again after all for all of us, this is a learning process and we learn as we go. It doesn't matter if i am right or you are right, or anyone is right, as long as i continue to learn i am content.

i do want to avoid stepping on peoples toes. Sorry if at any point i crossed any line.

agh these posts are too long.

I am enjoying reading all the responses. My post did not refer to disorders such as bi-polar and other serious issues that would obviously require medication. I was referring to issues such as test taking and presentation anxiety. Medications to specifically help with stress from school.

Were not talking about major depressove order or bi-polar disorder. Yes, these patients need their medication to live a normal life. We're not talking about a pharmacy student who already has a psychological disorder. If you have a bad case of anxiety during school, just remember that everyone else is in the same boat. If you must take medicine start off with non-benzos. For some reason I see benzos as a last resort. WVU, was your wife diagnosed with her condition before rx school or during? I hope that your wife is doing fine but what worries me is the statement "She couldn't operate without it". To me xanax and the benzos are a last resort. Trust me, I have seen some patients with major panic disorder to the point where they are crying at my counter because they are out of refills on a saturday night!!!:( No one should have to live with anxiety, but as students i believe we must exhaust all of the options available to us before we turn to drug therapy. Non-pharmacological therapy should be exhausted (thats what I mean by exercise etc). As a pharmacist, you must understand that these drugs are so abused and it will be up to you to "police" their use. It's also the law!

Anyway, again, I hope you all do well in school and just remember that almost everyone is in the same boat as you. Good luck to all of you!
Off to study for the MCATS:)

Dr. M

What a weak minded girl. I always say, if you can't keep your glycemic state under control, get out of the kitchen. I believe everyone should just exercise to keep their glucose straight, that's what I always do. Sounds like this young lady is just taking the easy way out, and probably deserves to be expelled. Pharmacy schools really need to start drug testing.

my school does drug tests. they're a huge pain in the butt that we have to wait in line for like 2 hours for every year.
and while i'm responding, i have a friend in my school who takes klonopin because she has some serious anxiety. her dr prescribes it to her. why exactly is that different then a patient who takes benzos? i see nothing wrong with taking something that is prescribed, no matter what the cause of the anxiety is.

Were not talking about major depressove order or bi-polar disorder. Yes, these patients need their medication to live a normal life. We're not talking about a pharmacy student who already has a psychological disorder. If you have a bad case of anxiety during school, just remember that everyone else is in the same boat. If you must take medicine start off with non-benzos. For some reason I see benzos as a last resort. WVU, was your wife diagnosed with her condition before rx school or during? I hope that your wife is doing fine but what worries me is the statement "She couldn't operate without it". To me xanax and the benzos are a last resort. Trust me, I have seen some patients with major panic disorder to the point where they are crying at my counter because they are out of refills on a saturday night!!!:( No one should have to live with anxiety, but as students i believe we must exhaust all of the options available to us before we turn to drug therapy. Non-pharmacological therapy should be exhausted (thats what I mean by exercise etc). As a pharmacist, you must understand that these drugs are so abused and it will be up to you to "police" their use. It's also the law!

Anyway, again, I hope you all do well in school and just remember that almost everyone is in the same boat as you. Good luck to all of you!

Dr. M

What do you mean, "we're not talking about....." it? The original poster asked specifically about prescription meds. WVU is talking about a diagnosed condition and prescribed meds. Are you questioning a doctor's diagnosis?

Are you Tom Cruise?

What do you mean, "we're not talking about....." it? The original poster asked specifically about prescription meds. WVU is talking about a diagnosed condition and prescribed meds. Are you questioning a doctor's diagnosis?

Are you Tom Cruise?

Umm, i think we were talking about pharmacy students with a little bit of anxiety and therapy. I merely asked WVU a question and in no shape or form did i question his wifes diagnosis, actually i hoped she was doing fine. and no im not questioning any diagnosis. The Op asked a question and i gave my opinion based on my experience as a pharmacist and and pharmacy student. And please, just because a doctor diagnoses a patient, it's unfortunately not always 100% RIGHT. And I never stated that a real diagnoses of anxiety disorder should not be treated. Stress and anxiety are a part of everyday life and I stated that stress and anxiety due to exams and school can be overcome. That is all. Please, I respect all of you as students but I really don't appreciate the ignorant remark about Tom Cruise. I am engaging in professional discussion. I dispense these meds all day and never question any legitimate prescription, but I don't have to agree with the doc with every therapy. Take care.

Dr.M

I am enjoying reading all the responses. My post did not refer to disorders such as bi-polar and other serious issues that would obviously require medication. I was referring to issues such as test taking and presentation anxiety. Medications to specifically help with stress from school.

and again, i say you wont need them. eelo, read the original post again my friend:). The topic was not about bi-polar and major disorders. It was about a little anxiety and have presentation anxiety. Hillcrew, a little propranolol will do you fine for presentations. But I still believe you wont need the benzo's.

and again, i say you wont need them. eelo, read the original post again my friend:). The topic was not about bi-polar and major disorders. It was about a little anxiety and have presentation anxiety. Hillcrew, a little propranolol will do you fine for presentations. But I still believe you wont need the benzo's.

so who does need them then, in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know alot of people that have had to take SSRIs to deal with anxiety disorders (social, situational, and generalized) exacerbated by curricular or internship activities. Alot of people get depressed when they can't be around their families as much as they feel they need to be too, or when school causes a strain on family relationships.

Hey, Doctor M (I can tell a lot about you by how you refer to yourself), I really do not think you get it. You are probably the pharmacist that tells patients "We don't carry that" a la the New England Journal April 6, 2000 issue.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/342/14/1023

Hey, Doctor M (I can tell a lot about you by how you refer to yourself), I really do not think you get it. You are probably the pharmacist that tells patients "We don't carry that" a la the New England Journal April 6, 2000 issue.

http://content.nejm.org.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/cgi/content/abstract/342/14/1023

You don't know me and probably never will. And no I don't tell patients that I don't carry a medicine. You should probably look at yourself before your make statments like that. The OP asked a simple question and I gave my opinion. And please do tell me how I refer to myself. That was just plain rude. Take care.

And so because they had trouble sleeping once, who is to say it won't happen again and again. What seems to be a noble cause in helping someone sleep around finals time, could happen more and more. First it starts with using it for finals, then regular exams, then quizzes. This is not a slippery slope that i am going down, this is an all too real situation that occurs many times over. So where do you draw the line? When Sally P2 starts coming in more and more for the same drug? What do you do then, empathize, feel sorry for her, because what started as a noble cause ended in abuse. Do you still dispense? Do you think that Sally will do the mature thing and not abuse?

In regards to the OP's post, I don't think it was not fair to say that i am missing something. If you have a prescription for something, great. Don't abuse it. If your doctor feels you need it and you feel you need it, then fine. But take heed to abuse. And really in my interpretation i feel that the OP is looking for the justification of taking these medications. Try to understand what can be used without seeming out of the ordinary. Can i extrapolate that that means being abusive? It is not out of the question. Am I out in left field on this one? Not really. Someone as open minded as yourself should be able to see that this is plausible.

And maybe i am a little bit jaded because i think to myself and realize people have been going through graduate schools for hundreds of years and did it without the aids that can be prescribed today. While there are biochemical reasons for having insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, so on and so forth, do you have to always take medication to treat them? I don't think so. I think that there are many things that a person can do before truely resorting to medication. Find a hobby to relax yourself. Walk away, associate with friends.

I understand what you are saying. There are instances where it is socially acceptable to take them. But one has to draw the line where it is and isn't acceptable. Abuse is an all too real thing that needs to be addressed here. What defines abuse? I defined it, in a way you've defined it as well.

You know, in school we were directly taught examples of students having extra stress during exam time, people having extra stress after a relative died and getting a sleeping medication. These are legitiment medical reason to have medication, how are you not understanding this? You are being extremly judgemental. you do not know what everyones life is like. You are living in a freaking happy floating cloud world or something, I am really confused have never met anyone outside of your bubble?

And graduate school for a hundred years?? OMG could there be a worse argument. yes because things have been going on for 100s of years lets not try to make anything better. Lets go back to not letting women vote, having slaves, thinking we needed to "bleed" someone to help them get better because that is the way things were and shouldn't try to make anything better. Good lord, why not go back to riding horses or using candles instead of electricity.

and i think many of you are reading me all wrong. Sorry that this has not come out properly, but i am viewing this as a fellow classmate, not as a patient-pharmacist relationship. I merely question and am very skeptical about students on prescription medications that assist them. Like any of you are so ignorant to wonder why a person may be paying full price for a prescription of hydrocodone. Being skeptical is an essential tool to have. There is no such thing as world peace. That is all. As a pharmacist, i try not to pass judement or discriminate people based in any way shape or form.

about psych problems, i agree that medication does help. But i don't think many people are seeing what i am saying. Its acceptable to take them. But also sometimes people need to go beyond popping a pill. Medication therapy is not the only cure. And many times people are looking for that miracle cure, there may be another way to cure that.

i know that person X is taking Y for a certain reason, and their reason may or may not be justified. As a pharmacist i know that, and whether it is or not is not the issue. i think i am being misunderstood. but then again after all for all of us, this is a learning process and we learn as we go. It doesn't matter if i am right or you are right, or anyone is right, as long as i continue to learn i am content.

i do want to avoid stepping on peoples toes. Sorry if at any point i crossed any line.

what do you not understand that pharmacy students are regular people also. Because you get into pharmacy school does not mean you magically do not have any medical problems.

Dr. M

We should exhaust all the options before going to pharmacological help. You do know that the diabetes guidelines were recently changed for type II. First line used to be diet and exercise. Well no one did that so now first line is medication and diet and exercise.

And in our law class we had this example. Is it better to be not give a patient who is abusing medication and hold medications from someone who really needs it, or give medication to someone abusing and to someone who really needs it. We were taught it is better to get the medication to people that actually need it at the expense of possibly giving it to someone who might abuse it.

Umm, i think we were talking about pharmacy students with a little bit of anxiety and therapy. I merely asked WVU a question and in no shape or form did i question his wifes diagnosis, actually i hoped she was doing fine. and no im not questioning any diagnosis. The Op asked a question and i gave my opinion based on my experience as a pharmacist and and pharmacy student. And please, just because a doctor diagnoses a patient, it's unfortunately not always 100% RIGHT. And I never stated that a real diagnoses of anxiety disorder should not be treated. Stress and anxiety are a part of everyday life and I stated that stress and anxiety due to exams and school can be overcome. That is all. Please, I respect all of you as students but I really don't appreciate the ignorant remark about Tom Cruise. I am engaging in professional discussion. I dispense these meds all day and never question any legitimate prescription, but I don't have to agree with the doc with every therapy. Take care.

Dr.M

I don't think the Tom Cruise remark is ignorant at all. Scientologist don't believe in psychiatry or psychiatric medications. Do you also believe that Zneu the intergalactic tyrant is trapped in the moutain with the everlasting force shield. You sound like it.

You know, in school we were directly taught examples of students having extra stress during exam time, people having extra stress after a relative died and getting a sleeping medication. These are legitiment medical reason to have medication, how are you not understanding this? You are being extremly judgemental. you do not know what everyones life is like. You are living in a freaking happy floating cloud world or something, I am really confused have never met anyone outside of your bubble?

And graduate school for a hundred years?? OMG could there be a worse argument. yes because things have been going on for 100s of years lets not try to make anything better. Lets go back to not letting women vote, having slaves, thinking we needed to "bleed" someone to help them get better because that is the way things were and shouldn't try to make anything better. Good lord, why not go back to riding horses or using candles instead of electricity.

Why though? I understand that Rx school carries a ton of stress. You people are acting like skepticism is an awful thing that you have never seen before. I have discussed this issue with several people and quite frankly they agree with me. You do question whether or not their intentions are good by taking this medication. THEY MIGHT HAVE A LEGITIMATE REASON TO TAKE THE MEDICATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. But my slippery slope example shows this completely. It becomes a question in the student's mind is how much stress warrents taking a pill? It seems like everyone here says, it does not matter, its for a good cause. Alll i am saying is there is a very thin line that a student crosses into abuse. I define abuse is not addiction but using anxiety pills when i question they are really needed.

I know i don't know what other people's lives are like. But i am surrounded with people who's life was no walk in a park. Don't assume you know me, or anything I've dealt with. I've done without medication for stress, or whatever. People around me have done the same, and trust me they have promising careers ahead of them. I may be judgmental, but again that is a skill that we must posses in order to cut down on abuse.

My hundred years example, as crazy as it sounds is just showing that there are other methods for handling stress! Everytime you have an ailment, you go to the doctor and get a prescription? Please, try some other methods that people have been using for 100's of years. Its called relaxation, you really should try it sometime. Besides everyone in pharmacy school is stressed, everyone in medical school is stressed, people aren't running in bunches to their primary to get prescriptions. People manage without them. Maybe one should try to deal before getting a prescription, because many people before have dealt with these issues without any medicinal assistance.

But i have a question for you all: Do you think they have an unfair advantage in school now on these medications? Unfair because prescription is not available to us all, and obviously these medications will affect someone's performance in school, for the better even at least an infinitesimally small degree?

Cliffs: People have legitimate reasons for mediciation, correct. What warrents taking that medication is a fine line of calling it abuse. My life and others has not been a walk in the park, i and they have survived just fine without them, as with droves of people who have attended professional school. I am not entirely against using these medications in school, merely skeptical of possible abuse. Someone needs to be the devils advocate

Why though? I understand that Rx school carries a ton of stress. You people are acting like skepticism is an awful thing that you have never seen before. I have discussed this issue with several people and quite frankly they agree with me. You do question whether or not their intentions are good by taking this medication. THEY MIGHT HAVE A LEGITIMATE REASON TO TAKE THE MEDICATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. But my slippery slope example shows this completely. It becomes a question in the student's mind is how much stress warrents taking a pill? It seems like everyone here says, it does not matter, its for a good cause. Alll i am saying is there is a very thin line that a student crosses into abuse. I define abuse is not addiction but using anxiety pills when i question they are really needed.

I know i don't know what other people's lives are like. But i am surrounded with people who's life was no walk in a park. Don't assume you know me, or anything I've dealt with. I've done without medication for stress, or whatever. People around me have done the same, and trust me they have promising careers ahead of them. I may be judgmental, but again that is a skill that we must posses in order to cut down on abuse.

My hundred years example, as crazy as it sounds is just showing that there are other methods for handling stress! Everytime you have an ailment, you go to the doctor and get a prescription? Please, try some other methods that people have been using for 100's of years. Its called relaxation, you really should try it sometime. Besides everyone in pharmacy school is stressed, everyone in medical school is stressed, people aren't running in bunches to their primary to get prescriptions. People manage without them. Maybe one should try to deal before getting a prescription, because many people before have dealt with these issues without any medicinal assistance.

But i have a question for you all: Do you think they have an unfair advantage in school now on these medications? Unfair because prescription is not available to us all, and obviously these medications will affect someone's performance in school, for the better even at least an infinitesimally small degree?

Cliffs: People have legitimate reasons for mediciation, correct. What warrents taking that medication is a fine line of calling it abuse. My life and others has not been a walk in the park, i and they have survived just fine without them, as with droves of people who have attended professional school. I am not entirely against using these medications in school, merely skeptical of possible abuse. Someone needs to be the devils advocate

ok, i agree there can be abuse problems. But the problem I am seeing is the general problem with psychiatry in general. Like diabetes or blood pressure, you can measure those and see a direct problem from labs. With psychiatry you can't. You might deal with something better than someone else. Peoples brains and abilitys to cope with stressors are different. What works for you might not work for someone else. And how do you know someone has not already tried to "deal" with it before they got a prescription? You don't so you shouldn't try and judge them and there coping mechanisms.

That is a good question, what do you people think?

No, I do not compete with my classmates for who has the better grades....or cry that someone has an advantage b/c they're prescribed meds legitimately. I am competing with myself, to become the best pharmacist that I can become. I could care less if someone is diagnosed with a disorder warranting a medication. You keep saying it's not available to us all as if these people are buying it illegally. If you have a medical condition warranting meds then it IS available to you. You really need to learn to stop competing with everyone else and start trying to be the best pharmacist you can be. This requires you to stop moaning because someone is getting a med that in your mind is giving them the upper hand. I've seen classmates who take anti-anxiety meds and they do about average, sometimes worse. As far as I know the people who were excelling were not the ones on the meds which makes me wonder if the students on meds would have even made it without them. I don't think this is crutch; the real world is much different than the didactic work involved in school. A few of the people I know stopped taking the anxiety meds before rotations which just shows me that it was the intense pressure of school and not necessarily the working environment. I wish you luck and hope that you can try to open you mind while in school.

I don't think the Tom Cruise remark is ignorant at all. Scientologist don't believe in psychiatry or psychiatric medications. Do you also believe that Zneu the intergalactic tyrant is trapped in the moutain with the everlasting force shield. You sound like it.

It is if you dont know anything about me. By the way, Im catholic and yes I dispense birth control and I sell plan B:). Anyway, I value all of your opinions, and I would never attack any of you personally. Hopefully many of you students will see that I merely gave my opinion on the topic of PHARMACY STUDENTS taking drugs to ease the anxiety and stress of pharmacy school. And i never commented on how people with depression or anxiety disorders should never use medication to help. Hope you all have a great day.

Dr M

It is an unfair if you were in med school competing for a residency spot. In pharmacy school it really doesn't matter.

Dr.M

It is if you dont know anything about me. By the way, Im catholic and yes I dispense birth control and I sell plan B:). Anyway, I value all of your opinions, and I would never attack any of you personally. Hopefully many of you students will see that I merely gave my opinion on the topic of PHARMACY STUDENTS taking drugs to ease the anxiety and stress of pharmacy school. And i never commented on how people with depression or anxiety disorders should never use medication to help. Hope you all have a great day.

Dr M

Everything you type reinforces how ******ed I think you are. PHARMACY STUDENTS ARE ****ING PEOPLE YOU *****. And pharmacy students with anxiety are patients that you may come into contact with. How is this not getting through your thick skull? As the above referenced post reads, you do not count pharmacy students as people; that is very ignorant sir/maam.

Everything you type reinforces how ******ed I think you are. PHARMACY STUDENTS ARE ****ING PEOPLE YOU *****. And pharmacy students with anxiety are patients that you may come into contact with. How is this not getting through your thick skull? As the above referenced post reads, you do not count pharmacy students as people; that is very ignorant sir/maam.

Is this a personal attack?

You need to be more professional in your conversation with others, no matter how dumb you think I am. I also think you need to learn to control yourself. Anyway, have a pleasant evening.

Dr.M

No, I do not compete with my classmates for who has the better grades....or cry that someone has an advantage b/c they're prescribed meds legitimately. I am competing with myself, to become the best pharmacist that I can become. I could care less if someone is diagnosed with a disorder warranting a medication. You keep saying it's not available to us all as if these people are buying it illegally. If you have a medical condition warranting meds then it IS available to you. You really need to learn to stop competing with everyone else and start trying to be the best pharmacist you can be. This requires you to stop moaning because someone is getting a med that in your mind is giving them the upper hand. I've seen classmates who take anti-anxiety meds and they do about average, sometimes worse. As far as I know the people who were excelling were not the ones on the meds which makes me wonder if the students on meds would have even made it without them. I don't think this is crutch; the real world is much different than the didactic work involved in school. A few of the people I know stopped taking the anxiety meds before rotations which just shows me that it was the intense pressure of school and not necessarily the working environment. I wish you luck and hope that you can try to open you mind while in school.

i think you need to watch your tone and not tell me to open my mind. I think you need to open your eyes; people stopped taking them before doing rotations, are you blind? How is it that they weren't using them to do better in school? You don't see a problem in that? Aren't you a little skeptical that is abusive? While you dealt with the stress, otherwise perfectly normal people used this medication to go through a graduate program, a crutch (unfair advantage.) My posts haven't been whining, they are only speculation and posing what-if's. Now if you only look at your examples through my eyes. i see your point about being intensely stressed enough to warrent medication, i have agreed with that point in previous posts, i wonder if anyone sees my point? We walk a tight rope.

you are right i am competitive, I do intend to persue a career outside the dispensing realm, as even in my young age and academic standing, I have worked in both retail and a clinical setting. i love clinical work and would like to enter that type of field when i am done. This almost requires a residency, so my grades are important. I want to do well. I do worry about others.

You need to be more professional in your conversation with others, no matter how dumb you think I am. I also think you need to learn to control yourself. Anyway, have a pleasant evening.

Dr.M
I agree with Priaprism and will go further. I think you and quicksilver are the skeptical dinguses that make our profession as a whole look bad

It is an unfair if you were in med school competing for a residency spot. [sic] In pharmacy school it really doesn't matter.
Dr.M
Would that change if you were a pharmacy student competing for a residency spot? Or for a job?

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out why you seem more judgmental when it comes to pharmacy students than med students, now that you have appeared to have jumped on the "now I'll go to med school" bandwagon.

It is an unfair if you were in med school competing for a residency spot. In pharmacy school it really doesn't matter.

Dr.M

Are you serious!?!?! What the hell is the difference? A pharmacy student = engineering student = dance major. The fact that you're in pharmacy school has no merit on whether you are or are not a candidate for psych meds. Abuse is a whole other issue...and how you see a difference between their use in a pharmacy and a med student is completely ridiculous!

No, it is not unfair. Prescriptions are still available to everyone, there's just the added step (call it a hurdle if you want to, whatever) of going to the doctor. As pharmacy students, we should totally know how to go about getting a script if we decide we need one. We can even have an intelligent conversation with our doctor about it and jointly decide on the right med.

So no, if someone is too lazy to go the doctor, then they are really no different than the person who is too lazy to properly cope with life, drug-free (since many of you seem to think drugs are the easy way out).

Would that change if you were a pharmacy student competing for a residency spot? Or for a job?

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out why you seem more judgmental when it comes to pharmacy students than med students, now that you have appeared to have jumped on the "now I'll go to med school" bandwagon.

I agree, I meant soley from a resident position (med school) and a retail position ( pharmacy). Wow, sorry If I offended anyone. Anyway, whether you agree with me or not The name calling is uncalled for. Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

I agree with Priaprism and will go further. I think you and quicksilver are the skeptical dinguses that make our profession as a whole look bad

Ok, Ive had it. why are you not civil? You are so ignorant, and no im not an dingus. I came on here for professional discussion, not to be called names and ridiculed for my opinions. You all act as if I said I don't believe in medicine and no one deserves medicine. Man o man...

So what? Whats your deal? I want to go to med school so I am judgemental? Sorry dude, but I want speaking more on terms of retail pharmacy verus med school residency (apples to oranges). If I was competing for a surgical residency i would be pissed if my counterparts were taking adderall and had an upper hand. Sorry, but I didn't really have to compete for my "CVS" Job. Call me more names please.

Status
Not open for further replies.