Drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnguye15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I'm a first year pharmacy student.. i'm not sure this is right place for me to post the thread but am just wondering what kind of medications use to shove up in your arse so that your rectum can absorb it? What topic does it lie in? Reproduction?

Also, are diuretic drugs usually orally? I know it is use to elevates the rate of bodily urine excretion.. can anyone provide me examples of diuretic drugs? Thanks heaps!
:)

Hmmm...funny questions. Just curious, what class is this for? Have you taken anatomy & physiology yet?

To use the correct terminology, rectal medications are those indeed introduced via the rectum. They may or may not be absorbed. Some are used just topically in the rectum for pain relief (lidocaine) while others can actually be oral medications, but used rectally when the oral route is unavailable - Kayexalate for example. Some are given & not absorbed at all (the contrast dyes) and actually introduced very high in the colon.

They don't all fit neatly in a group of drugs via "route" - like oththalmics & otics do.

Rectally, there are analgesics (apap), laxatives (glycerin & biscodyl), antiepileptics (diazepam), antiemetics (prochlorperazine) & many, many others.

As for diuretics - no, they are not "usually" oral. They are only "usually" oral in the outpt setting. When we have a inpt, we often will use diuretics intravenously to get a more rapid response or if the pt cannot take things orally.

The oral diuretics are hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, acetazolamide and others.....

The intravenous diuretics which are used primarily are furosemide & ethacrynic acid. Mannitol & acetazolamide are ones used in unique settings.

Yes, diuretics do increase the rate of urine output, but they do it differently & often we are looking to increase the output of something else - not just urine. I hope you're learning how these work, where they work in the kidney & why you use one & not the other. Don't go on without understanding the physiology.

Good luck - hope it helps whatever class you're in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...funny questions. Just curious, what class is this for? Have you taken anatomy & physiology yet?

To use the correct terminology, rectal medications are those indeed introduced via the rectum. They may or may not be absorbed. Some are used just topically in the rectum for pain relief (lidocaine) while others can actually be oral medications, but used rectally when the oral route is unavailable - Kayexalate for example. Some are given & not absorbed at all (the contrast dyes) and actually introduced very high in the colon.

They don't all fit neatly in a group of drugs via "route" - like oththalmics & otics do.

Rectally, there are analgesics (apap), laxatives (glycerin & biscodyl), antiepileptics (diazepam), antiemetics (prochlorperazine) & many, many others.

As for diuretics - no, they are not "usually" oral. They are only "usually" oral in the outpt setting. When we have a inpt, we often will use diuretics intravenously to get a more rapid response or if the pt cannot take things orally.

The oral diuretics are hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, acetazolamide and others.....

The intravenous diuretics which are used primarily are furosemide & ethacrynic acid. Mannitol & acetazolamide are ones used in unique settings.

Yes, diuretics do increase the rate of urine output, but they do it differently & often we are looking to increase the output of something else - not just urine. I hope you're learning how these work, where they work in the kidney & why you use one & not the other. Don't go on without understanding the physiology.

Good luck - hope it helps whatever class you're in.

I can't believe you even answered this question. Anyone who uses "up your arse" has to be a troll. Unless they're singing along to this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcrijUrDDiI
(Warning- This is cleanest version of this music video, however there is one word in the song that could be offensive to some.)

Not the best choice of words, but that doesn't necessarily make one a jokester... Sometimes you just have to answer the questions professionally and hope the original question was well-intentioned. Good answer, SDN1977. :thumbup:

Also, these guys have some good youtube vids.

I particularly like this one- a parody of Lehrer's "The Elements": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg (one use bad language at the end, but cute and very benign...)

Another good Youtube vid.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZl9tRqjoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Not the best choice of words, but that doesn't necessarily make one a jokester... Sometimes you just have to answer the questions professionally and hope the original question was well-intentioned. Good answer, SDN1977. :thumbup:

Also, these guys have some good youtube vids.

I particularly like this one- a parody of Lehrer's "The Elements": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg (one use bad language at the end, but cute and very benign...)

I love that video too!

I can't believe you even answered this question. Anyone who uses "up your arse" has to be a troll. Unless they're singing along to this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcrijUrDDiI
(Warning- This is cleanest version of this music video, however there is one word in the song that could be offensive to some.)

I admit I don't catch the trolls - except for the obvious ones who like to incite an argument (ooooh, Mc something or other:D).:oops:

But - I missed this one. Truely though - what in gawds name would a troll want with asking this kind of a silly question? It doesn't incite anything. I can think of lots worse words than arse.

So, what - is this just bathroom humor? I admit, my son has grown up & gotten out of this phase, thankfully (or he just keeps it to his "buds" when they're drinking). He knows his mom would NOT be happy!

But, my son did this kind of silliness when he was 10 or so - is this guy that young you think???

My initial thought was "what in the hell are you talking about child?" I really did not think this individual would get a thoughtful response.

Sorry with my harsh words. I was rush typing and forgot that i'm speaking to the wrong audience hehe.

I'm currently studying physiology.
I recently got a job in pharmacy and came across with a patient who wanted diuretic drugs. I don't know much about drugs as i haven't study pharmacology but just willing to find out more about it (just a matter of interest)

Thanks again :)

Thanks for posting back!