1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Drunken Master??

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by premyo2002, Apr 1, 2004.

1. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

Objective:
    To determine the effects of alcohol (ethanol) on mcat verbal test taking skills.

Materials and methods:
    2-6 packs Guinness extra stout
    TPR verbal workbook practice test 3 and answer sheet
    large timer
    2 pencil
    previous mcat score

Prior to drinking, the practice test material was set up in a similar fashion to a non-drinking test. After drinking the first six-pack with dinner, 4 of the 6 remaining beers were "shot-gunned". After 15-minute incubation in front of the TV, the subject drank the final 2 beers and wondered into the test room. After the test was scored a t-test was done on order to determine whether or not the difference in score on the drunken mcat and sober mcat where significant.

Observations:
    During the test, the timer was paused on three occasions: bathroom breaks. These breaks typically lasted no longer than two minutes. When the subject returned, the timer was re-started. After the test was done the subject went to sleep rather than scoring the test. When the subject woke, he scored the test and began to report the results to SDN.

Results:
    As one may guess, the effects of alcohol on mcat verbal test is mostly negative. Both the percent of questions answered, questions answered correctly, and overall points were significantly different.

Discussion:
    One may learn many valuable things from taking a drunken mcat. Most importantly, the mcat section is boring, and despite attempts to make it fun by drinking, it will always remain dull. Also, one should never take the mcat verbal drunk for any reason: this includes scientific research.

2. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hahaha... I dont think I would make it past the first passage drunk. I would fall asleep...

3. vegangirl

vegangirl DOctor begins with DO
    7+ Year Member

I wonder if you could put this down as "scientific research" when you apply????? ;) ;)

4. Delphium

Delphium Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good times!

5. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

I can try....

6. Wahooali

Wahooali The Real Sydney Bristow
    7+ Year Member

Job well done premyo2002. :p