Doubting my ability to master C/P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am chugging along with my MCAT prep and so far I feel content and overwhelmed at the same time. The C/P section is my weak spot, predominantly due to physics and G.Chem plug and chuck style questions. On old AAMC tests 3-5 I am averaging 50-65% on each passage, and this is worrying me. I am just reviewing each incorrect answer and basing my content review off of this.

Do C/P scores tend to increase over time??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What you need to do is go over the questions you got wrong - are you determining why you got them wrong? Was it a concept you didn't know? Learn it. Was it a concept you didn't understand? Practice is until you get it - the Khan Academy has excellent videos

I believe general chemistry makes the majority of the new test section, so I would focus on that first to maximize score; for physics, again, see what you are missing and figure it out. YOu will need this skill for medical school I'm sure.

What you need to do is go over the questions you got wrong - are you determining why you got them wrong? Was it a concept you didn't know? Learn it. Was it a concept you didn't understand? Practice is until you get it - the Khan Academy has excellent videos

I believe general chemistry makes the majority of the new test section, so I would focus on that first to maximize score; for physics, again, see what you are missing and figure it out. YOu will need this skill for medical school I'm sure.

Physics? Hell no. General chemistry? In a more biological-focused way.

I genuinely believe C/P is a weeder section. CARS at least is 100% relevant.

The new MCAT is less plug-and-chug and more critical analysis type questions. In other words, knowing that PV = nRT isn't the end of the question - you have to know how P changes with varying concentration, for instance.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be better for CP

TBR Chem/Phyics passages or AAMC Old FL 3-11?

I want to work my way up to section bank, I plan to begin at the end of February for my late April test date.

I want to work my way up to section bank, I plan to begin at the end of February for my late April test date.

TBR. I've been told the new and old exams are different enough that you'll just be wasting your time.

You can also get some new practice exams. I strongly recommend it.

There's no working up to the section bank. You're either strong in foundation and research and can handle it, or you should use it early on and let it slap you in the face (like I did). Then learn everything you can from the 300 questions that are offered, strengthen your foundations, and re-do the entire bank closer to your test date.

The old stuff is not really great prep (and also repeated in the question packs) and is mostly a joke compared to the new style of questions.

I am chugging along with my MCAT prep and so far I feel content and overwhelmed at the same time. The C/P section is my weak spot, predominantly due to physics and G.Chem plug and chuck style questions. On old AAMC tests 3-5 I am averaging 50-65% on each passage, and this is worrying me. I am just reviewing each incorrect answer and basing my content review off of this.

Do C/P scores tend to increase over time??

If you want to "work yourself up" to the SB, then use the question pack, which is the stuff that AAMC has gone out of their way to identify as being relevant to the new exam.

Can someone post the link for the section bank available on AAMC website?

I realize this might be something not to difficult to find, but didn't know if someone could easily allow me to follow their bread crumbs.

Thanks!

If you have a pretty good grasp on all of the concepts covered in the Section bank, are you looking pretty good going into test day?

It's good prep, but just a start to being ready for test day. The section bank is not all encompassing of concepts. It's just a taste of how questions will be presented.