Dry erase boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

To all of those people who recently took their DATs, did they have you use dry erase boards? How did that work exactly? Were the fumes from the pens hard to deal with?

More randomly, any ohioans take the dat's recently?? lol

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

i did'nt took the DAT yet but i checked at the testing center near my house what they give you to write with, and it was not a board it was a laminated paper that you can write on it and erase it.

you can get this paper at copy centers.

in my opinion, the dry erase board is a good practice tool to get use to the markers, but if you get youe hands on the laminated paper you will be able to practice and simulate environment like in a testing center.

i did'nt took the DAT yet but i checked at the testing center near my house what they give you to write with, and it was not a board it was a laminated paper that you can write on it and erase it.

in my opinion, the dry erase board is a good practice tool to get use to the markers, but if you get youe hands on the laminated paper you will be able to practice and simulate environment like in a testing center.

Has anyone actually practiced taking the test with a dry erase board (or laminate paper)?? Did you think it was worth it?

I took the DAT today and was quite surprised. I received a pink dry erase laminated paper - something they called a note-board. It was dark pink, and looked like graph paper (grid lines in black). I got two thin dry erase markers and an eraser. Its good because you don't have to waste time switching papers, but then you also end up erasing every few minutes because the marker does write thicker than regular pencils.
I had marks on my fingers from the markers and the desk also had black marks on it. Also, if I wrote something on one side, flipped it to write the other side, and needed to refer back - the marks became blurred and some words were erased. That might be something to be aware of with these note-boards.

Members don't see this ad :)

hey lev.. im not sure if we are from the same area (i live in forest hills) but i called the prometric center on queens blvd and they use markers as well..
thats sucks..

:(Call the centers. I recently called the test centers in queens ny and they all use the laminated ppr

Has anyone actually practiced taking the test with a dry erase board (or laminate paper)?? Did you think it was worth it?

yes i did. i would highly recommend doing the same.

in fact, i would recommend practicing on a smaller board with a bigger marker so you learn how to write small with dry erase marker (some people have a problem doing so)

i found no difference in laminated sheets vs. paper.
they are both the same to me.
This should not affect your performance.
Worry about the material, not the writing instruments.
Best,
Dan

i practice with dry erase laminated sheets to do all problems. only had an effect on qr because i have to write bigger to see the numbers but most problems on topscore and achiever dont require much calculation anyway.

i dont know if anyone told you this... but not only do u have to use dry erase boards... imagine this... the erase boards are blue, they are grided with BLACK lines! markers were also in BLACK ink.

we got SCREWED! i called the prometric testing centers and they lied to me! they said i'd get paper but instead i got the dry erase boards. this was the most frustrating experience ever since i found that the markers would NOT write after i erased something. furthermore it is hard to read since the tip is so thick and was a major pain during math.

At one of the office chain stores, in the children's/education section, there is a set of wipe-off boards meant to practice handwriting. They are with the calendars and stuff meant to hang on classroom walls.

One piece in there is huge. The other two are the size of notebook paper and are just like what my testing center gave me. They are not thick--they are the equivalent of laminated paper. I think practicing with those helped a lot, and they cost me about $3.

I actually love working with mine and use it for my organic chemistry homework all the time. I haven't used scratch paper since.

A friend of mine took the test recently and she used the laminated paper and markers. She said the markers are fine and that it actualy helps u write quickly. Just check the markers b4 u take the test and make sure they work fine. Also, they come with a dinky little eraser on the tip which takes forever and a day to erase the whole board. SO, she asked for additional boards and they gave her 4. Also, she said when she needed to erase, she just used the sleeve of her shirt and wiped the whole thing down ina sec! So, ask if u can have more than one and wear a long sleeve cotton tee and u will be Fine! :)

r 4. Also, she said when she needed to erase, she just used the sleeve of her shirt and wiped the whole thing down ina sec! So, ask if u can have more than one and wear a long sleeve cotton tee and u will be Fine! :)

HAH

sweet Thanks for teh good advice..I should show up in some beat to heck clothes I use for painting so i can wipe it all over my body...

Words of advice:
1. Check your markers before you go into the testing room. I did this
and had the monitor replace one because it was dry. (He was very
embarassed about this.)
2. If you aren't using the marker pretty much continually, cap it. I found
out leaving them open and not using them drys out the tip and makes
the marker write very lightly until it re-primes. Very frustrating.
Overall, they weren't too bad in comparison to pencil and paper. BTW, my sheets were yellow with black grid.

I had the pink dry erase sheets as well. Writing with the markers was like trying to write with crayon, and the sheet never really wiped clean. With that said, most of the problems in QR and GC required less frantic scribbling than I expected. Practice with those sheets is recommended, though.

thanks guys....sorry to keep asking about this, but are these 'grid lines' really tiny squares? thanks :)