Using shirt/finger to erase on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerDK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that using a tshirt or finger to erase from the laminated paper is against the rule and they might penalize you for this. Does anyone know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that using a tshirt or finger to erase from the laminated paper is against the rule and they might penalize you for this. Does anyone know if this is true?

The marker dries almost instantly when you write on the sheet. It's not really possible to erase once you have written something down. You can use both sides of the sheet, but if you would like a clean one you just simply raise it in the air and they will bring you a new one!

Just raise your hand when you're about 3/4 done with a sheet. They come out and replace it within about 10 seconds

Members don't see this ad :)
i used my sweatshirt and i was fine i wouldnt have made it through PAT without erasing myself but thats just me. When I raised my hand the lady took a minute to come to me and then stood there and asked if i needed a new sheet.....only distracting me more. 2 min during PAT is a long time so I just continued to erase w my sleeve but idk

Reactions: 1 users
If you are left handed or your hand rubs over the laminated sheet for some reason, do you lose your work? Or is it not that easy to wipe

Reactions: 1 user
It is best to call your testing center, but to my knowledge it does not break any rules. Students have complained about having to wait for additional sheets when raising their hand, I am sure it depends on the testing center, etc. I always suggest doing the Prometric Test Drive, that way you can ask all the questions in a relaxed atmosphere and take a mock test(Not DAT Test) on the computer and get familiar with the testing environment. Students suggest to write as small as possible to save on space. Below is the link to prometric should you want to inquire about the test drive.

Test Drive

i've used my cardigan sleeve. they were a little pissed that i made the desk dirty and said if i wanted a new sheet to raise my hand to get a new one. but i refused to do that lol. i just cleaned my area with my other sleeve after the break and made sure i was more careful in erasing with my sleeve. i didn't get penalized. they just didn't want to have to clean the desk afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i've used my cardigan sleeve. they were a little pissed that i made the desk dirty and said if i wanted a new sheet to raise my hand to get a new one. but i refused to do that lol. i just cleaned my area with my other sleeve after the break and made sure i was more careful in erasing with my sleeve. i didn't get penalized. they just didn't want to have to clean the desk afterward.

I thought your method was quite clever actually, saves time..Back when they used to give you paper and pencil and were not quite as strict, a student told me he would sharpen his pencils to a very sharp point and use it for the angle ranking in the PAT section. My students used the technique for several years before things changed. No you are almost afraid to breath too loud or they will negate your scores.:(

I thought your method was quite clever actually, saves time..Back when they used to give you paper and pencil and were not quite as strict, a student told me he would sharpen his pencils to a very sharp point and use it for the angle ranking in the PAT section. My students used the technique for several years before things changed. No you are almost afraid to breath too loud or they will negate your scores.:(

it does save time!! i had 15 minutes left over for PAT which was extremely nice.

** also, if it weren't for me erasing - i wouldn't have finished the math section at all. i didn't get a great score (15) but it would have been much lower if i didn't erase with my cardigan!

they kept a good eye on me because i fidget a lot and move around in my seat when i test. not fun.

Last edited:
it does save time!! i had 15 minutes left over for PAT which was extremely nice.

** also, if it weren't for me erasing - i wouldn't have finished the math section at all. i didn't get a great score (15) but it would have been much lower if i didn't erase with my cardigan!

they kept a good eye on me because i fidget a lot and move around in my seat when i test. not fun.

I can relate, I am a fidgeter too! Wishing you the best along this interesting journey!