Dsm-v

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very cool website on the timeline and research agenda by the committe of DSM-V. I heard a prominent speaker on the subject today. He said that in this edition, slated for publication about 2011, they want the process to be much more transparent. Suggestions for new diagnoses are encouraged (with relevent data if possible), as are suggestions for the modifications of the current edition for use in the coming edition.

The coming DSM will coincide with the release of ICD-11. The former edition was to coincide with ICD-10, which is not widely implemented in US healthcare. The rush to publish it on the same timetable as the ICD allowed some prominent shortcomings and even mistakes to slip through.

Particulary interesting is the proposals for the restructuring of the personality disorders, the possible resurgence of the passive-aggressive personality, "deconstructing psychosis," the "relationship disorders" which manifest when an otherwise healthy person dynamically interacts with a particular other person, and the "fear circuitry disorders."

Members don't see this ad.

Anasazi23 said:
Very cool website on the timeline and research agenda by the committe of DSM-V. I heard a prominent speaker on the subject today. He said that in this edition, slated for publication about 2011, they want the process to be much more transparent. Suggestions for new diagnoses are encouraged (with relevent data if possible), as are suggestions for the modifications of the current edition for use in the coming edition.

The coming DSM will coincide with the release of ICD-11. The former edition was to coincide with ICD-10, which is not widely implemented in US healthcare. The rush to publish it on the same timetable as the ICD allowed some prominent shortcomings and even mistakes to slip through.

Particulary interesting is the proposals for the restructuring of the personality disorders, the possible resurgence of the passive-aggressive personality, "deconstructing psychosis," the "relationship disorders" which manifest when an otherwise healthy person dynamically interacts with a particular other person, and the "fear circuitry disorders."

I attended this lecture as well. I particularly enjoyed the post-lecture questioning session when the Dept. Chairman challenged the speaker to not let the pharmceutical companies exert too much influence on the new edition.

They also decided not to include obesity, hyperactive sexuality, or racisism-gambling in this new edition.

Yes, the racist gamblers diagnostic category was intriguing.
:smuggrin:

We've enabled tens of thousands of drug addicts with their heroin and cocaine-induced bipolar disorders...all we need is 100,000 ladies in vegas with racist-gambling disorder collecting SSI so that Uncle Sam can supply their slot habit.
:laugh: