Dual Applying & LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AirKnowsTrout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, rising MS3 here who plans on applying to ENT this upcoming cycle. While I have good grades so far (step 1 >260, H in med, surg, peds, and HP in family so far), and tend to get along with people and work hard which I hope will translate into good letters, I was told by my advisor that anyone applying to ENT needs to consider also applying for a prelim year/plan for potential research year if you don’t match or need to dual apply. I should note that I'm coming from a mid/low tier state school.
Is this true?
Will dual applying negatively affect my application in a meaningful way?
Also, she told me that I only need 2 ENT letters, 1 from home chair and 1 from my away, and the third letter can be from medicine, surg, etc. I was under the impression that I needed 3 ENT letters though...

Members don't see this ad.

Im also an M3, so I may be misinformed, but from what you've posted, you seem like a pretty strong candidate. Its hard to say without knowing AOA/research/how strong your letters are, but if I were in your shoes I probably would not dual apply. I have a worse step than you and I haven't finished surgery yet for grades, but I am not planning to dual apply. As far as letters, I have been told that it is important to get 3 ENT letters from my advisors.

Who is this advisor? Sounds like some phd. Your advisor should be an ENT attending within your home program. ENT only letters. Dont dual apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
While matching into a specialty like ENT is no guarantee for anyone, I think you should do fine without having to dual apply. I'm wrapping up the interview process now and it seems like everyone has the grades, step scores and publications. LORs are key (can't count the number of times I've had people bring up my letters or how they know/are great friends with my letter writers) and I would try to get at least three (some places allow up to 4) strong ENT letters with one of them being the chair from your home department.

Who is this advisor? Sounds like some phd. Your advisor should be an ENT attending within your home program. ENT only letters. Dont dual apply.

She is an ENT attending, that's why I felt like it was odd. I don't have loads of research or ECs and maybe that's the problem.

Yea, I mean just based off of your step score, you have a >90% match rate according to Charting the Outcomes. So, I mean it is definitely always possible not to match, but it would be more of the exception than the rule for someone with your numbers from the data shows and anecdotally.

ENT letters only. No need to dual apply. If you flunk, any transitional program/GS program will take you. Research is harder to come by, but doable. Apply broadly. Nail the interviews.

Thanks for the replies!
1 more question, do you all think 2 aways are necessary? I was talking to a current ENT intern who said everyone does 2 aways these days, I had planned on only doing 1. My wife is pregnant and due later this summer, and I plan on doing my away before then. My second away would be around when she gives birth if all goes well and I don't think having a brand new baby will lead to optimal performance.

Thanks for the replies!
1 more question, do you all think 2 aways are necessary? I was talking to a current ENT intern who said everyone does 2 aways these days, I had planned on only doing 1. My wife is pregnant and due later this summer, and I plan on doing my away before then. My second away would be around when she gives birth if all goes well and I don't think having a brand new baby will lead to optimal performance.
I'm in the exact same boat.

So I am only planning on doing one, but its almost personal preference; I just don't think I will get much more out of doing any more. But YMMV

I think it all depends on what you plan on getting out of your away rotations. While it's nice to gain insight into how multiple hospitals/departments function, doing two away rotations is by no means necessary (especially if you already have enough LORs lined up). I personally did two away rotations, but met people on the trail that did 1 or even 0 and still had no trouble getting interviews.