• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Dual AuD/SLP

JaggyJ

Jan 3, 2015
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have applied to an AuD program for fall 2015 but after reading some negative reviews of the profession of audiology I am considering doing a dual program for audiology and speech pathology to give me an option once entering the field. Does anyone have any insight or advice for this track? Thank you!

c_three

Sep 26, 2014
    Texas
    1. Pre-Audiology
      I'm not aware of any programs that offer a dual program in AuD/SLP. Are you saying you would complete one program after the other? I think it would be impossible to complete both programs concurrently.

Aranel323

Aug 3, 2014
      1. Pre-Audiology
        I agree, there are joint AUD/PHD programs, but not AUD/SLP. You would need to complete one and then the other... and that's around 6 years. I would honestly figure out which is best for you and pursue that alone. You can always go back later to do the other, but that's a lot of money too for "options"

What are your concerns about audiology? I am applying for Fall 2015 too, and am also aware of some negatives in the field. You're right, SLP is probably a more stable option with more stable job options, but for me, I don't want to be an SLP. I wouldn't enjoy the work. I want to be an audiologist, and am aware of the challenges in the field.

About the Ads

Aranel323

Aug 3, 2014
        1. Pre-Audiology
          That's a valid concern. From my understanding, most programs have 100% employment rate after graduation... however, you will probably have to move. I want to work in pediatrics, and so I need to be open to the whole country to find the job I want. However, if you want a job in a certain state or city, SLP is much better option, more dense jobs. I do think that job prospects are rather positive with audiology, but you have to be willing to move as there may just be a handful in any given city.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.